getting old in front of the modular.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 am

As I said ...luck...and not really giving that much of a fuck about money !
Did sell some studio stuff to go on my trip though !
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:37 am

Look at my picture to the left!!
edit: to the right, due to new forum software :mrgreen:

Just sayin... :picard:
Last edited by Grumble on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am

Wiggle, eat good food, spend time with friends and family (common denominator = time)

I just turned 50 last month. About the same age as when my Dad had his first heart attack. He had to retire at 57 from a high stress security clearance job after he had a quintuple bypass. It paid extremely well, but at a cost to his health and his family life. I have no memories of spending "quality" time with my Dad growing up. Throughout his 50-60s he continued to have strokes, bleeds etc.. and I now help my Mom care for him at a board-n-care home. He's 79, but has required 24 hour care for the last 5 years.

2 years ago, I quit my high paying, high stress job at age 48. I had already started experiencing minor, but scary health related issues. Some stroke-like symptoms (thankfully not strokes) and blood pressure issues. So, I decided to quit my job so that I hopefully would NOT follow in my Father's footsteps. I've spent the last 2 years pinching pennies, but VERY happy splitting my time with my two daughters (age 12 and 8) and wiggling away with modular.

The most important lesson my Father has taught me is that one's health (both physical and mental) is most important.

My next job will be something that I enjoy waking up for. Healthy life is too short.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm 66 and have been playing synthesizers since just before my first VCS3 back in the mid to late 70's. I have a little tinnitus and the standard old eyesight etc that people mention here.The latest "problem" though is that I have recently done some gigging, and even have some more shows in the works, and I tell you, tearing down my studio, lugging gear to the gig, and setting it up again, and to do the reverse a couple of hours later is a LOT different now than it was back a decade or two ago. I'm sore like hell the next day. It has been the biggest impetus to reducing the size my rig than anything else.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm 40 and still amazed by the fact hat I did not turn deaf by putting my head in speakers at freeparties... all those times... all those years..

I will be at modulars until I'm dead .

for your notice, 'rollators' are 19" compatible. (I tried this 10 years ago already, when doing streetraves and noise demo's)

Modulars are tools, meditation instruments, mental health equipment, idea building blocks, performance tools, educational fire, and so much more...

I will never leave them.... alone..

The future outlook is still a wall of modular. growing out of control. up on the ceiling. in zero gravity? in several dimensions..

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:48 am

Age is an interesting thing that would gradually limit me, so I am learning to live wit it in peace. Passing the mark of mid-40s is causing some inconvenience, particularity eyesight. Some modules with blinding LEDs are really irritating and not all Youtube demos indicate that. There is a family trait of glaucoma tendency but the worry does not stop me wiggling.

As for hearing, I am grateful as I can still hear up to the the 12-13k range. Will not give up on wiggling for the next 10 years. With all the advancement of hybrid technologies of analogue and digital, why leave them while my fingers are still moving?

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm

44 here. I am, like a lot of you, amazed I can hear. I was part of the late 80s early 90s rave generation and how many times I was in front of massive stacks of Turbosound speakers blaring everything from progressive house to psy trance... it’s amazing I can hear anything at all.

I’m in a line of work that keeps my wits both mentally and physically (I’m a behaviour therapist), although I wanted something more hands on, so I got I to vintage motorcycles 4 or 5 years ago. I’m very active with cycling, hiking, ice climbing, snow shoeing etc. I haven’t noticed much degradation at this point but my back is ruined (I rode trials bicycles for 10 years and that can destroy lives). My biggest challenge is to remain motivates musically. I have everything I want, amazing gear, I’m on a record label, etc. But it’s just getting everything turned on and making music. I love what I create, but I need to do it more often! Work keeps me crazy which I like, but then all my downtime is adult crap (groceries, doctors appointments), as well as stuff like PS4 haha! I love who I am at 44 and I still feel very good for the most part!!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:53 pm

I find it a bit scary when people in their 40s consider themselves old. :eek:
I'm 47, I had and still have quite a rock'n'roll way of life, no tinitus nor hear loss so far and the guy I see in the mirror every day doesn't match the image I had of a close to 50 years old person when I was 20. I feel closer to 25 than to 50 (as long as I don't look at my belly :lol: ).
Last edited by papz on Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:00 pm

papz wrote:I find it a bit scary when people in their 40s consider themselves old. :eek:
I'm 47, I had and still have quite a rock'n'roll way of life and the guy I see in the mirror every day doesn't match the image I had of a close to 50 years old person when I was 20. I feel closer to 25 than to 50 (as long as I don't look at my belly :lol: ).
I agree but some things in life can age you over night
Life is change. No change no life

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:56 am

I'm 54. I survived a heart attack at age 41. I got angioplasty and stents and just kept going.

I was job-eliminated from my R&D job at 3M in 2016. My wife and I decided that we would rip up stakes if a good opportunity came along. It did, almost immediately. What I do is in demand. I had no idea. We purged lots of old junk from the house we had lived in for 23 years and moved to CA for a new job at one of the "big four."

I got my mom's bad genes and started to get arthritic quite a while ago. I saw a rheumatologist about 4 years ago, he did a bunch of imaging of my joints and made a bunch of blood tests then told me (and showed me) that I have old-fashioned advanced osteoarthritis just about everywhere. Basically my joints are fucked. Knee replacements will have to happen eventually.

Working in Silicon Valley for a big tech company is beating the snot out of me. It is intense and stressful, but also very rewarding. I am not sure how long I can handle it, especially with the arthritis.

Goddamn I feel old. I am too tired most of the time at home to do much with music. To be honest, I am still recovering from the job-elimination and move and rebuilding a home studio. I dream about retiring and just making stupid noises and songs and maybe making and sharing ensembles in Reaktor and learning something else like PD or Max. I stay away now because that is like work.
----------------------------------------

brek01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by brek01 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Yeah, on the downward spiral, 54 years old, eyes went at 50, now need glasses for screen use and different glasses for close focus.
16khz? I should be so lucky, last time I tested was down to 13.5 kHz.
Good new is, no mortgage and a wife who allows me my toys. I find that with age comes an appreciation of art and creativity, when I was a youngster I had a cs15 and a Juno 60, didn’t create music, tried but lacked understanding of the whole thing really. Played in a band (others wrote our songs).
Now just enjoying being able to try all the things a was unable to do as a teenager due to modular gear being the price of a car back then. Whilst my friends listened to Duran Duran I was listening to Tangerine dream, klaus Shultz, Karlheinz Stockhousen etc. At 50 I made a life choice, quite my shitty call center job, did a degree, got a first, and am now doing a masters, which I am trying to not get distracted from with modular.

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Turning 50 here in a month. Being half asian and growing up in a low stress
paradise leaves most people gauge me at about 10-15 yrs younger than I am.
I could have afforded getting into modular years ago, but at that time I was
wasting my money on motorcycle racing mostly.

Modular is for the most part, a considerably more cost effective hobby than
mangling expensive crotch rockets on the race track. :tu:

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:54 pm

pekbro wrote:Modular is for the most part, a considerably more cost effective hobby than mangling expensive crotch rockets on the race track. :tu:
And probably a damn sight less dangerous! :emt:

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:34 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
pekbro wrote:Modular is for the most part, a considerably more cost effective hobby than mangling expensive crotch rockets on the race track. :tu:
And probably a damn sight less dangerous! :emt:
Indeed... :deadbanana:

pzriddle
Learning to Wiggle

Re: getting old in front of the modular.

Post by pzriddle » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:44 pm

I’m a youngster of 60 myself, but when I visit my mom at the assisted living facility I think I can see myself there in 20 or 30 years passing the time with a travel case and some comfortable headphones.

toobdude
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toobdude » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:48 am

Wow, I just stumbled on this thread tonight and I have just finished reading everyone's posts from beginning to the end. I just turned 60 and I am just about to retire from a job that did not afford me much free time. I have a 5U modular that I have bought over the years but I have not been able to spend enough time with it. Hopefully that will soon change.

My main interest is jazz piano and over the years I have tried to keep my chops up with that - but for the level at which my mind wants to play, often my fingers just won't respond because ... well ... it takes practice. I am hoping soon I can devote more time to chops.

I also have a room full of vintage digital and analog keyboards I have picked up and restored over the years. I enjoy the repair/restoration of the old analog monsters. I have taught myself to repair analog keyboards (and old stereos - another interest of mine).

I kind of thought I was a major outlier being 60 and like a "kid in the candy store" I can't wait to FINALLY get to dig into all the gear I have. FINALLY. You all have made me feel much better!

Perhaps what I can contribute to this thread is to post a video of Vladimir Horowitz. Here is VH AT AGE 84. Giving a recital and still playing stupendously. Age 84. Take 7 minutes and just watch him. It is worth it just to see the expression on his face when he finishes the piece.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:35 am

toobdude wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:48 am
Wow, I just stumbled on this thread tonight and I have just finished reading everyone's posts from beginning to the end. I just turned 60 and I am just about to retire from a job that did not afford me much free time. I have a 5U modular that I have bought over the years but I have not been able to spend enough time with it. Hopefully that will soon change.

My main interest is jazz piano and over the years I have tried to keep my chops up with that - but for the level at which my mind wants to play, often my fingers just won't respond because ... well ... it takes practice. I am hoping soon I can devote more time to chops.

I also have a room full of vintage digital and analog keyboards I have picked up and restored over the years. I enjoy the repair/restoration of the old analog monsters. I have taught myself to repair analog keyboards (and old stereos - another interest of mine).

I kind of thought I was a major outlier being 60 and like a "kid in the candy store" I can't wait to FINALLY get to dig into all the gear I have. FINALLY. You all have made me feel much better!

Perhaps what I can contribute to this thread is to post a video of Vladimir Horowitz. Here is VH AT AGE 84. Giving a recital and still playing stupendously. Age 84. Take 7 minutes and just watch him. It is worth it just to see the expression on his face when he finishes the piece.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Congratulations! Here's wishing you 24+ more healthful years. :party: :guinness:

DCDanno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DCDanno » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 am

@toobdude

Thanks! Made my day. Restarting my musical practice a little late (in my fifties) and the Horowitz video is inspiring. (Even though I'll never be at his level.) Sent the video to my teenage son, a multi-instrumentalist, along with a note about music being a lifetime practice.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”