getting old in front of the modular.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 pm

42 here. Music has been my psychological sustenance as long as I can remember. I'm elbow deep in eurorack now, And I feel like a kid again thanks to the endless possibilities this format allows.

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 pm

I love this thread so much.

kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 am

PhineasFreak wrote:in the last 5yrs ive completely lost the ability to read resistors, ic's and caps and other tiny stoopd writing on things, tho thankfully i havent lost any hearing range except a slight loss off abiltity to percieve change in pitch of a tone over 19khz

[had this conversation 2days ago so i tested myself - still cant figure out how so many years of techno havent done more damage...]
I bought a light up giant magnifying glass for my soldering station and it is awesome. Highly recommend.

(Headed toward 50).
kmro.org

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:09 am

25. Feeling I should spend more time in the studio in front of my modular and less on clubbing :party:
ghost stories and drum breaks

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:32 am

wavefold wrote:25. Feeling I should spend more time in the studio in front of my modular and less on clubbing :party:
No man. Go clubbing. Have fun. Don't regret not doing that. In my opinion, if you want to make dance music you will be a way better producer by learning what makes a dance floor go off. And if you want to make more laid back music I think the dance floor experience also helps.

trickness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by trickness » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am

54 years old with bad tinnitus. I really just noodle around with my 12u, can’t say i make anything that would be considered musically useful by anyone else, but the challenge of trying to master each module keeps my brain sharp. And the community here, videos on youtube and blogs are a great resource and antidote to all the selfish evil shit in the world. Keeps me hopeful for the future.

That said if it doesn’t work out I have the tools to create a soundtrack that is dystopian as all fuck :twisted:

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:01 am

trickness wrote: That said if it doesn’t work out I have the tools to create a soundtrack that is dystopian as all fuck :twisted:
:yay:

Maybe you could demo a track to show the kids out there what it will sound like if they fuck the place up ... :evil:
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

EdJ
x => { wiggle(x); }

Post by EdJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:19 am

dubonaire wrote:
wavefold wrote:25. Feeling I should spend more time in the studio in front of my modular and less on clubbing :party:
No man. Go clubbing. Have fun. Don't regret not doing that. In my opinion, if you want to make dance music you will be a way better producer by learning what makes a dance floor go off. And if you want to make more laid back music I think the dance floor experience also helps.
Deffo - you're going to miss that when you get older. All nighters start becoming ... challenging. :ripbanana:
off hiatus

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:51 am

i patch standing, dig it ! great contrast vs. sitting in front of the PC.
big modulars make here a difference ;)
vs. just a 6 or 9U that might be fun patching while sitting, but i really dig it to stand ....and that i have to reach with my arms up

what helps for the sight are angled racks vs. straight up the wall racks.
had no problems in the past with a vertical rack, now i have.
beeing in rearrange/"rework my racks" mode right now

also: has now my modular to start AND: work !
...start where the last jam stopped.
having a FH-2 as a clock plus restart source for analog sequenzers was a great step into the right direction.

no longer interested to read manuals, update modules, deal with "as such great modules" that were screwed in one corner or the other by odd thinking,
nor interested in modules with waaay too bright LEDs.
Modular patching must feel now like hollydays.......NOT like work and dealing with daily odditys.......
Things that change :razz:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 am

Old guys with Eurorack. :hmm:

Ha ha. Count me in. I'm 69. I had cataract surgery and lens implants a year ago. Wow! Clear vision, but now I'm far sighted. I need drugstore reading glasses for manuals and for patching Eurorack. (I can patch 5U without glasses.)

Just ordered another Eurorack DIY kit (a second Starling Via META). I have no problems building stuff. I use a large, illuminated magnifying glass.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

jjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jjr » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:14 am

This thread is fucking awesome !
Smurfs

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 am

Man, thank you soo much for this! I didn't expect to get such personal insights. This community really feels like home, more than anything else in the net.

I'm 43 and all in all I'm very lucky with my body, considering how I treat it sometimes. I start to feel some changes though and one big thing that got very important to me is achieving silence. Not only outer silence but also inner silence. Silence turned to something like a basic nutrition for me. I love dancing and clubbing but I do it only when I can get 2 days of silence after that. That's like max. 8 times a year. When I play in a club I stay mostly sober with the exception of two festival per year that are family-like happenings where I get quite experiMental. :mrgreen:

The good thing is that also the builders of modules get older and perhaps we will see some larger screens with big text in the future. Things like plonk get difficult with age I guess.
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

jamos
Common Wiggler

Post by jamos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:01 pm

NO. Go clubbing while you can. If you try it in your 60s, or 40s... people will look at you strangely.
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, and a growing Euro system.

jamos
Common Wiggler

Post by jamos » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm 60, built my first PAiA modular when I was 14, decided to dive back into modular via Euro about a year ago. What a rabbit hole!

My eyes are slowly failing, but I can still build stuff with the aid of magnifiers. Even did a couple of SMD builds earlier this year, and have more planned. Soon I will be able to retire and spend most of my time at music, which I am truly looking forward to.
Nord Modular G2 & G2X, Emulator X, and a growing Euro system.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm

jamos wrote:
NO. Go clubbing while you can. If you try it in your 60s, or 40s... people will look at you strangely.
thats a balance I still haven't learn to the scale on..

40's?
what a bunch of herbs
to act like a 40 hell or even a 60 old is just to old to get out.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Just a couple of months away from 60 here. Fortunately, I'm doing well for my age in most respects... the main concern is further degradation of hearing acuity over time, but it's still very good and I fiercely protect it these days from any potential damage from excess noise situations.

I'm just loving the ongoing modular renaissance. As a mature student back in 2003/5 my self-chosen main consolidated HND music tech project was the building of a modular synth and although the course tutor allowed it, there was also a - "this kind of thing isn't really relevant/current anymore, have you considered software" - kind of vibe. Hardware modular was regarded as already "long kicked into the long grass" :razz:

For me it just feels 'right' after decades of the sometimes frustrating limitations of relatively fixed signal path analogue synths and fits right in with a mind that still questions all kinds of control systems and life long conditioning. Perhaps the wider world could eventually transition into a less competitive, open, 'modular' networking mode in the socioeconomic realm as well... is it already happening?

I'm also no less serious about creative endeavours but with age comes a feeling of being more comfortable in this skin to the point where I'm often suddenly laughing and taking the piss out of myself and some of the absurdities if this life. Could that be a 'cosmic' response?

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:45 pm

Or do what Nelson Baboon does and take up serious exercise - like trying to do a one handed pull up.

I'm 63 and apart from being less limber in the mornings, not doing too bad.
If I hold a resistor exactly 140 mm from my nose and close one eye, it's pin sharp.
Which is fine indoors but if you want to read micro lettering on the back of packaging in the supermarket is a bit of an age giveaway.
wiperactive wrote:"this kind of thing isn't really relevant/current anymore"
Ha, my friend, an almost proper musician, called my modular a white elephant.. 35 years ago.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

Mark II
Common Wiggler

Post by Mark II » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:53 pm

I stopped clubbing after the stone age ... :deadbanana:
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Interesting to see a larger number of older wigglers than I would of expected, and at the age of 65 it makes me feel a little less like an outlier!

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Getting closer to 50 and further away from 45 :lol:
Becoming more grumpy :mad: more impatient :bang:.
Less tolerant towards questionable attitude and practices within this small niche I love (eurorack of course)

Becoming less keen on tiny modules or '100 into 1' type of modules. I don't mind complexity but it has to be accessible so that it supports creativity and exploration, not hindering it.
For example, modules like ER-301, or my sequencers, no problem at all. Great UI.
Hidden menus, secret button combos on smaller modules? Don't like them so much anymore :)

My modular has been off probably since Dec 2018 but I'm just now getting back to it. After some planning on Modulargrid, tonight, I just reorganised all modules and cases and switched it on to make sure it powers up ok. Which it did :tu: also jammed for about an hour :nana: even updated firmware on some sequencer etc...

Also can't wait to share more music and opinions through a new batch of videos! And some other plans...

I'm still OK with hearing and sight :hail: but I do use big magnifying lamp to make sure 8-) (soldering, reading stuff on circuit boards...)

If anything, as I get older, I hope to have more time for my synths and age while jamming and producing some music project. Also mix more between my old synths and my modular setup. Also keen on new synths as long as they are hands-on with plenty of sliders and knobs :help:

I can see I'm now more interested in larger modules, but can't fully let go of some small unit when planning systems on smaller/portable cases

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Um, ... What was I gonna say? ... Oh, yeah, what is this thread about again?
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:23 pm

will be 44 next month. played bass in heavier bands from 14 to 23, got talked into doing live musics again when i was 30, did a couple bands playing bass with way too many pedals and some synth stuff, got so freaking burnt out. noodled on the soft synth Native Instruments setup i'd played around with for years, all the uninspired.

a bud talked me into grabbing a No Coast, got into euro loots. enjoy making musics again.

but mannnnnn it's weird having to schedule time to sit down and make noise.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Ears
Common Wiggler

Post by Ears » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm

51 and I still do clubs and festivals. And I am deep in Eurorack - happy I finally can have the system I dreamed of as a kid.

My dancing is a little more careful cuz my knees are wobbly from years of abuse, and I need glasses to patch. But hey I’m having fun anyhow despite all that.

But thanks to a lifetime habit of wearing earplugs to shows and at band practice, I still hear clear in all environments....

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:25 pm

jamos wrote:
I went clubbing a while back because Noisia was DJ-ing in the student union... at 3am. Oof... Anyway, ran into some of my fourth year students; they all wanted selfies with the ol' geezer. I don't know if they thought I was cool or just a curiosity. Luckily you start to care less about what other people think as the years progress. :hihi: I had great fun :party: but paid in sore joints the days after.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 am

Am 50. Never been happier with my kit. "Designing my own instruments" is the business. The sounds themselves are great. The diversity of makers and modules and types is righteous. The scene overall remains better than most... shit, I *hope* I'm lucky enough to "grow old" with these things. That's what I'm doing, "buying for life". *My* kit.

But my eyesight sucks without glasses, that tiny text on some things is just too wee now.

It's bullshit. I detest that part.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”