getting old in front of the modular.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

45 here. i always said if i made it to 70 i was just gonna do modular and take acid every day. i started early with the modular.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 am

dubonaire wrote:
Parnelli wrote:Well it seems to be then that the general consensus is that getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative! :tu:

So far at least!!! :guinness:
Getting old shouldn't suck. You can only ever be the age you are. You just have to shift your expectations, come to terms with being in the older body you are in because basically that is the only choice you have, but also not let yourself get old in the sense of not being vibrant. Staying healthy is important. Don't let yourself go, it's so very easy. I still go out clubbing occassionally and still play out. I think you only look out of place if you are giving off vibes that you feel out of place, or leer at young women.

I'm really enjoying being the age I am. I have a lot of wisdom to give, I'm more chilled, I have more disposable income, I'm at the peak of my career. I'm probably lucky, but I also work at it. I may not feel the same way when I'm 78, but 58 is OK by me.
getting old sucks! :-)

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm

arthurdent wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Parnelli wrote:Well it seems to be then that the general consensus is that getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative! :tu:

So far at least!!! :guinness:
Getting old shouldn't suck. You can only ever be the age you are. You just have to shift your expectations, come to terms with being in the older body you are in because basically that is the only choice you have, but also not let yourself get old in the sense of not being vibrant. Staying healthy is important. Don't let yourself go, it's so very easy. I still go out clubbing occassionally and still play out. I think you only look out of place if you are giving off vibes that you feel out of place, or leer at young women.

I'm really enjoying being the age I am. I have a lot of wisdom to give, I'm more chilled, I have more disposable income, I'm at the peak of my career. I'm probably lucky, but I also work at it. I may not feel the same way when I'm 78, but 58 is OK by me.
As I've mentioned before, I'm 72 years old, retired when I turned 66. I keep active physically - walking/hiking/kayaking/tent camping - as well as mentally - reading, crossword puzzles, etc. Up until 4 years ago I had no music experience whatsoever - I listened to a lot of different stuff but never learned theory or played an instrument. I saw an article one day about "keeping fresh" as you grow older and the writer stated that learning a musical instrument was an excellent way to stay sharp mentally as well as physically - hand/eye coordination, using different parts of your brain, etc. So I went out and bought a digital piano, got a bunch of "for dummies" books out of the library, and started trying to learn stuff. At the same time, I discovered modular so I figured "what the heck", bought a Mother-32, then another one, then an 0-Coast, then a few modules, etc., etc., bought a soldering iron, DVM, O-scope and a few kits, etc. Like a lot of other people, I wish I had "discovered" this stuff earlier but it is what it is. I'm enjoying it.
It's all good, I stay pretty active, work my ass off fixing industrial machinery, (yeah I know... it doesn't count, bullshit!) and hike/camp/fish when I can get away. It's not that I'm in bad health, but had I known I was gonna live this long I'da taken better care of myself when I was younger!

I don't do TV, but I watch movies and play video games which is my bane, but I don't allow it as much as I used to. I took a new position beginning in Sept. in management, so I have little time for other things until I get this department straightened out or I get fired, which ever comes first.

I was kinda hopin' fired day before yesterday, but they told me that firin's too good for me, I have to stay here and suffer with the rest of them.

I was going to retire in August but I chickened out; this is what I get.

I'm with Lowell George on this one: "Well you know that you're over the hill, when your mind makes a promise that yer body can't fill..."

I ain't there quite yet... :tu:

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:13 pm

42 here, no limitations, but my hearing is not the same after playing drums from 17 to 25. My right ear has diminished hearing due to heavy riding a 24" Zildjan HH Heavy K ride cymbal for a good 15 minutes on my right side of course. Hearing in that ear never the same after that.

Otherwise I've tried to stay with sounds and sound making since I was very young.

Beyond that it's the usual pains from every day work life, and that sucks, but it keeps me in shape.
Last edited by Chartreuse-J on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soundcloud
*Abstract Cat Pwns your life*

Gizmo
Common Wiggler

Post by Gizmo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 pm

dubonaire wrote:. . . Staying healthy is important. Don't let yourself go, it's so very easy. . .
Parnelli wrote:. . . had I known I was gonna live this long I'da taken better care of myself when I was younger!
Reminds me of this thoughtful challenge: "Are you strong enough to grow old?"
dubonaire wrote:. . . or leer at young women.
WHAT?!?! REALLY??? :cry:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Be charming instead.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:56 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Be charming instead.
It goes much further than leering!

Although I've hooked one or two with a good leer and a drool... :mrgreen:

DCDanno
Common Wiggler

Post by DCDanno » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Parnelli wrote: had I known I was gonna live this long I'da taken better care of myself when I was younger!
This. Trying to pass that lesson to my sons, both through words and actions. At nearly 52 I consider myself pretty lucky. I have all of my body parts and don't take any drugs. I try to eat healthy most of the time although I've got a demon of a sweet tooth. The one activity that has had the biggest impact?

Yoga.

I was a non-believer. My wife has been going for years. Dragged me to a few classes and while I felt better after each, it wasn't for me. Mainly because I cannot stand group anything. Ran long distance, then cycling, then triathlon. All individual pursuits, just me versus the clock. But with aches and pains mounting (see previous activities) I started doing yoga at home. There are a bunch of yoga videos on YouTube. 4-5 times per week I put a yoga mat in my living room and stream a YouTube yoga video for 20-45 minutes. I can do it around my schedule, no driving to and from class, and it's free. It took a few weeks for the benefits of regular practice to kick in. Less pain, more energy, better digestion.

You really don't need anything other than an internet connection. A mat is a "nice to have" but not a must. I use one from Walmart. I think it was $15.

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:25 am

I'll be 52 this year, I stopped playing the live club/festival gigs about 18 months ago but I still wiggle occasionally although it's getting less and less. I've got 2 kids who are seven and fourteen and I'm spending a lot more time with them now. I'll admit I miss playing the bigger club gigs and getting paid to stay in nice hotels in foreign cities but in a few years time the kids'll be older and won't want to spend as much time with me so I decided to make the most of the time I've got with them while I can.

The prep for the club gigs was also taking it's toll, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would spend a lot of time in the evenings practising which was just adding to the stress of my day job and making me feel guilty about not spending enough time with the kids. When people have paid to see you play I feel you owe them a responsibility to put on the best show you can.

My back's fucked (motorbike accident in my 30's), my eyesight's terrible (glasses since I was 8), overweight (can't really excercise with my back problems), bald (started going at 18 but that's just vanity) but I'm happier now than I ever was when I was younger and the music/modular will always be there for me.

:youkids:

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 am

dubonaire wrote:
ckwjr wrote:You know what they say. Everyone wants to live a long life, but no one wants to get old. I hope I can keep doing this for another 20 years
I haven't heard that before, it's brilliant!
I heard it from my 91-year-old Austrian father-in-law. Jeder möchte lange leben, aber keiner will alt werden. Has more of a ring to it in German.

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:53 pm

love this thread. i'll be 50 next month, and needing reading glasses is a recent thing. i had to deal with caring for an aging/dying parent probably earlier than most, and since i'm not a parent this was the closest thing to being one i'll experience in life, so i grew up quite a bit in my 40s.

as for the future, i'm happy to be with a partner i want to grow older with. and happy that if i live a few more years i'll enjoy the fruits of a 25 year commitment to a career, in the form of a modest pension and healthcare (and a paid-off mortgage). then i can wake and wiggle whenever i want, which is a favorite indulgence now, when free time is so precious. i would hope that this kind of security later in life would be available to all who desired to commit and work hard similarly, but i fear that it is decreasing with the aggregation of wealth in the hands of the few.
www.goike.com

"There is no right answer. Just compromises." - Dave Jones
"Intelligence is generated by communities, by cooperation of some kind." - Brian Eno

DubplateDerek
Common Wiggler

Post by DubplateDerek » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:25 am

There are some really nice posts in here :-)

I'll be sure to check back on this thread when I start to feel maudlin about becoming 40 next year.
Cases and side panels for all sorts of modular and other stuff :

www.gouldcaseworks.nl

www.instagram.com/gould_case_works

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:19 pm

40 was nuthin; 30 and 60 were the really hard birthdays for me.

Really.

F'n.

Hard.

Especially 60; I didn't want to turn 60, but I didn't not want to turn 60 either!

How the f'k do you make logic out of that out in your mind? :deadbanana:

It's all good now though. :tu:

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Parnelli wrote:40 was nuthin; 30 and 60 were the really hard birthdays for me.

Really.

F'n.

Hard.

Especially 60; I didn't want to turn 60, but I didn't not want to turn 60 either!

For me it was turning 50. 60 and 70 were nothing in comparison. DUNNO - must just be my DNA...

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:40 am

45 in 2 weeks. All i need is to spend more time with my beloved er-301 :lol:

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:43 am

The first time I felt officially old was when I was told at 43 that I needed varifocal glasses but watching your kids grow up makes you feel really old. When you're young free and single you've got nothing to gauge the passing of time.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 pm

30yrs of DJing has taken its toll on my hearing. My eyes have been shot since I was 8yrs old but in the past 5 years or so, it's gotten pretty bad. I look at computers all day at work and have since the 80's so by the end of the day, the eye fatigue is real. I use a 42" monitor in the studio now because anything smaller is a struggle to use. I can't use any gear that has small, densely packed screens which rules out pretty much any Elektron box. I have a very small Euro rig due to the tiny size of everything making it difficult to see where patch cables go and read labeling. Ugh... I am thankful for the gear I have that allows me to create but there are many fun looking tools that I just have to pass on these days because they're built for much younger, better sighted individuals. I don't feel like I'm almost 50 but I sometimes "FEEL" like I am, if you know what I mean? A 16hr session in the studio yesterday was both heavenly and also a real struggle.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

arthurdent wrote:

Really.

F'n.

Hard.

For me it was turning 50. 60 and 70 were nothing in comparison. DUNNO - must just be my DNA...
My mother passed one week to the day from her 60th birthday, that was weighing on me pretty heavy. Our birthdays were in August, I was born when she was 25, and 25 years from her death I turned 60; I was dwelling on far too many numbers.... :doh:

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 pm

Parnelli wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Really.

F'n.

Hard.

My mother passed one week to the day from her 60th birthday, that was weighing on me pretty heavy. Our birthdays were in August, I was born when she was 25, and 25 years from her death I turned 60; I was dwelling on far too many numbers.... :doh:
That's some serious shit to handle. My dad - he died 18 years ago - his mother, and I all have/had birthdays in June. Every so often I get into a funk, start thinking "OK, what was my dad doing when he was this age, and what was I doing at that time too".

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Parnelli wrote:My mother passed one week to the day from her 60th birthday, that was weighing on me pretty heavy. Our birthdays were in August, I was born when she was 25, and 25 years from her death I turned 60; I was dwelling on far too many numbers.... :doh:
I know just how you were feeling, Parnelli. My father died 11 days after his 44th birthday, so that age weighed heavily on me for a long time.

I'm now past 67 years old and feeling good about the future: I just retired, so I have more time to devote to music (drums and synthesizer) and am feeling much less pressure and stress in my life.

Even though my father died over 52 years ago I still miss him every day, but since then I've learned that numbers are just numbers. :tu:

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 pm

I find as I get older I want less choice - fewer decisions to make about what VCO to push through what filter etc. The relative simplicity and elegance of a mid-size Doepfer system really appeals now, rather than the hotch-potch of 75 or so modules from around three dozen different vendors I currently find myself looking at.

To mix things up a bit I have started to group 4 or so modules into different 4MS pods of 40HP - 48HP. The idea is to create a number of smaller instruments and focus on their strengths. Each pod has either a sequencer or a source of uncertainty, plus a scale quantiser, oscillator and some modulation. I am curious to see how going 'table-top' rather than 'rack' affects my workflow.

I also had a bit of fun creating my take on an ARP Odyssey from my modules. Key to it was a Mutable Instruments Yarns configured for Duophony, driving a couple of A-110's. Yarns is such a clever module, including as it does a slew generator and LFO as a modulation source (controlled from your controller's mod wheel).

Bottom line - next year I downsize. Maybe I'll get that mid -range Doepfer system after all.

DCDanno
Common Wiggler

Post by DCDanno » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 am

Blairio wrote:Bottom line - next year I downsize.
Sounds like a great idea. Less stuff, more music. I wish you luck (and self-discipline.) Is any of your Odyssey clone music posted somewhere?

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 am

DCDanno wrote:
Blairio wrote:Bottom line - next year I downsize.
Sounds like a great idea. Less stuff, more music. I wish you luck (and self-discipline.) Is any of your Odyssey clone music posted somewhere?
Sorry, no Odyssey music yet, but here's how it looks on modular grid. In reality I tidied things up by fitting cream coloured Davies 1900 knobs to all the modules. The 84HP size constraint wasn't that hard. I use the VCA in MI Ripples for 'end of chain' duties, and the moddemix provides another VCA plus the ring modulation that is so good on the Odyssey.

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:41 am

What can I say ? My life has been different to
Most ! I am 5 weeks off turning 62 ....haven’t worked since 1994 ( some people are creators aren’t they ?)
So I have had the last 25 years off ...learned to live very frugally a long time ago. I saw my (adopted) parents get sick as soon as they retired ...I wasn’t going to buy into that ....and in a way it’s lucky I didn’t as I now have generative diabetes which has given me kidney disease as well ( it actually attacks all the organs and kills them off eventually). but most diabetics die of heart attack or stroke ! So I’m glad I’ve lived a retirement all ready.
Musically I started buying pieces of gear around 1978 and being a somewhat
Lucky person (with not much ambition !) have had the Fairlights PPG JP8 etc over the years. I have always had my little work studio which
I have made my little songs ( for my ears only) and as I said previously, been the creator of my own little universe. Bought a Dotcom modular from Adam Scranstad over 15 years ago so that has kept me in the loop synthwise since then.
I have always had a fair amount of luck in this life (as I see it) and currently have a girlfriend 27 years younger than me ...my second wife was 20 years younger than me as well ...so for an ugly bastard I’ve lucked out in that dept too ! My youngest child is only 17 and my eldest is 27. I still have hair down to my ass and is still my original brown colour ( although balding on top and grey where it has been cut at the sides ...which goes to show me that if you don’t cut your hair it will stay it’s original colour lol ) I also have ticked having a Porsche 911 from the bucket list but it was stolen a couple of years ago and it was not recoverable ..nor was the money it was worth lol
Which brings me to my current musical situation which is for the last 5 years I have been writing and recording a triple vinyl prog album ...which will be my parting musical gesture to family and friends. If anyone asks what Nymo did musically ( aside from all the electronic junk I’ve done in the last 40 years or so).. this album will be my ultimate musical release ...the 70s album I’ve always wanted to make. My work here on this planet is nearly finished and I really hope not to be here in 3 years time ! YMMV
( as an addendum to getting old ...last year I went on a trip for 6 months to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Phillipines and
Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (to lie on various beaches) and while sitting at the boat bar in Sihanoukville, just ordered the first of my nightly Mai Tais , I had the first sip and my body just went “no more alcohol “...truly ...I’ve always been a bit of a party animal ..but my body told my mind “ no more “ and I haven’t had or desired a drink since ...one thing I’ve learned in life ...one doesn’t have that much control of things in ones own life ...as I always say “ Real life is stranger than fiction “

L
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:16 am

NYMo wrote:What can I say ? My life has been different to
Most ! I am 5 weeks off turning 62 ....haven’t worked since 1994 ( some people are creators aren’t they ?)
So I have had the last 25 years off ...learned to live very frugally a long time ago. I saw my (adopted) parents get sick as soon as they retired ...I wasn’t going to buy into that ....and in a way it’s lucky I didn’t as I now have generative diabetes which has given me kidney disease as well ( it actually attacks all the organs and kills them off eventually). but most diabetics die of heart attack or stroke ! So I’m glad I’ve lived a retirement all ready.
Musically I started buying pieces of gear around 1978 and being a somewhat
Lucky person (with not much ambition !) have had the Fairlights PPG JP8 etc over the years. I have always had my little work studio which
I have made my little songs ( for my ears only) and as I said previously, been the creator of my own little universe. Bought a Dotcom modular from Adam Scranstad over 15 years ago so that has kept me in the loop synthwise since then.
I have always had a fair amount of luck in this life (as I see it) and currently have a girlfriend 27 years younger than me ...my second wife was 20 years younger than me as well ...so for an ugly bastard I’ve lucked out in that dept too ! My youngest child is only 17 and my eldest is 27. I still have hair down to my ass and is still my original brown colour ( although balding on top and grey where it has been cut at the sides ...which goes to show me that if you don’t cut your hair it will stay it’s original colour lol ) I also have ticked having a Porsche 911 from the bucket list but it was stolen a couple of years ago and it was not recoverable ..nor was the money it was worth lol
Which brings me to my current musical situation which is for the last 5 years I have been writing and recording a triple vinyl prog album ...which will be my parting musical gesture to family and friends. If anyone asks what Nymo did musically ( aside from all the electronic junk I’ve done in the last 40 years or so).. this album will be my ultimate musical release ...the 70s album I’ve always wanted to make. My work here on this planet is nearly finished and I really hope not to be here in 3 years time ! YMMV
( as an addendum to getting old ...last year I went on a trip for 6 months to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Phillipines and
Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (to lie on various beaches) and while sitting at the boat bar in Sihanoukville, just ordered the first of my nightly Mai Tais , I had the first sip and my body just went “no more alcohol “...truly ...I’ve always been a bit of a party animal ..but my body told my mind “ no more “ and I haven’t had or desired a drink since ...one thing I’ve learned in life ...one doesn’t have that much control of things in ones own life ...as I always say “ Real life is stranger than fiction “

L
Any tips for us poor folks stuck in the 9 to 5? Living frugally and driving a 911 and travelling for six months and sipping several Mai Tais every night doesn't compute :eek:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”