Interesting: clavinet and e guitar have cyclical spectra too

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Interesting: clavinet and e guitar have cyclical spectra too

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Fascinating thread.

oberdada
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by oberdada » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 pm

ricko wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 am
Getting this slight inharmonicity (which may be experienced as beating of different harmonics rather than than out-of-tuneness) is a bit more tricky: frequency shifter? all-pass filter? I expect reflection would increase the effect.
Allpass filters are usually used for inharmonicity in the waveguide approach to physical modelling. The allpass filter can be retuned for interesting effects. I think frequency shifting often sounds less convincing. Additive synthesis is worth experimenting with. Having the right amount of stretch of the partial frequencies goes a long way to simulating string sounds.

I should add that there seems to be different understandings of the concept of formants in this interesting thread.
A sound at a fixed pitch may have some more pronounced partials, and we might hear it as a formant. But if the pitch changes and the formant follows it, leaving the waveform unchanged, that is a property of the tone's spectral composition and not really a formant. There could be exceptions in singing though, where formants also change.

ricko
Common Wiggler

Post by ricko » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 am

It is the property of fixed breadth waveshapes (ie ones you measure in milliseconds not in relation to the note frequency) that they have bands of harmonics that dont shift with note pitch, which is what formants are too. (This is the basis of the "pulse forming smethod" that is being referred to.)

I guess you could say in some cases that these are anti-formants, because in some cases you might prefer too see it as narrow bands dropping out rather than bands being emphasized.

I try to avoid "formant", because formants usually are some small number of bands with no mathematical relationship, while the cyclical spectrums are the opposite.

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

Just did a video review/explanation of Rick's module the Blip with some musical examples:

danielriera.bandcamp.com

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”