Static Electricity

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Niggum Naugrim
Learning to Wiggle

Static Electricity

Post by Niggum Naugrim » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:57 am

I've been getting zapped when I touch my modules and/or case - and getting high enough discharge that it will cause my Expert Sleepers module to be disabled. I also get issue with crackling sometimes. I have one of the 7u intellijel cases..wondering if all that metal a problem. Any thoughts on dealing with a little extra charge impacting your Eurorack?

Kent
Large Member

Re: Static Electricity

Post by Kent » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 am

What kind of footwear do you wear and which type of surface are you standing upon?
Are you wearing wool?

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:56 am

It is winter at the moment where I live, and when it’s freezing the air get dry and that causes the static electricity to build up more quickly.
One of the reasons why I wear cotton clothes is to minimize the risk of static electricity buildup.
@ work I also have an anti-static chair and anti-static desk mats and a conductive bracelet when working on electronics.

Agawell
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 am

you could also try discharging against something else - a metal door handle for example - before using your modular

sp1200
Common Wiggler

Post by sp1200 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:58 am

I was having the same issue but for my hi fi system. Shocks were temporarily muting my headphones and a few times caused the TV to go black for a moment. The main culprit was the rug but the cotton socks/footwear tip is a good one.

Increasing the humidity in your home is another.

davebr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by davebr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:49 pm

I have a banana jack on the front of one of my power panels that is tied to ground. I can use it either with a wrist strap or more often I have just a plate on the desk. I always touch it first.

Dave

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:09 pm

I've been asking myself the same question. I notice that when I wear this synthetic wolfskin sweater I discharge every time I touch metal. I am a little worried damaging gear so I try to discharge before touching synths.

I mainly play an easel and I was wondering how sensitive the touch plate is, can static cause damage here or am I just being overly cautious?

Niggum Naugrim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Niggum Naugrim » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I've tried various clothes; it doesn't seem to matter. I have a short synthetic carpet. The sound doesn't seem to be impacted anymore - it was really crackly one night, but i still get the ES-9 drivers going down quite often as a result of a discharge. I'm going to switch to a different source (using a UPS right now) for my power, maybe that will help. Otherwise, it's grounding myself I guess. So strange.

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 am

Hm. Do you think that static could hurt my gear? I am getting these shocks quite often, I didn’t really mind. Crackling as well but I still have no idea from which source that might derive. I was thinking it’s one particular module but it might be this. Any thoughts?

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:38 pm

I once had a problem with static after I floored my basement studio in synthetic carpet tiles. I used those as it was a large area and a cheap fix. The short term solution was to touch the metal pipe leading to the central heating radiator near where I sat, before touching any gear.

The long term solution was to put rugs with a high proportion of natural fibre down over the carpet tiles, in the areas where I usually walked.

Glitzerstrahl
Common Wiggler

Post by Glitzerstrahl » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:53 pm

I’ve noticed that static electricity tends to build up when I transport my intellijel cases in their intended gig bags (also from intellijel). Suspect it’s because of the soft inner material in the bag rubbing against the metal case. These days I always make sure to be ‘grounded’ when I take the cases out of the bags at the gigs...

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Fabric softener on the carpet can help. You can get it in spray cans (static guard) at office supply stores.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Many years back I zapped a drum machine twice before I realized the problem. Had to send it in for repairs both times because of the big static discharge. Issue was the synthetic carpet. There was something particularly bad about it that just seemed to load people with a gear-killing charge. Had to very diligently dezap myself everytime I went in there and then continually during the session. Couldn't wait to move out of that place.

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:58 am

Richard deHove wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm
Many years back I zapped a drum machine twice before I realized the problem. Had to send it in for repairs both times because of the big static discharge. Issue was the synthetic carpet. There was something particularly bad about it that just seemed to load people with a gear-killing charge. Had to very diligently dezap myself everytime I went in there and then continually during the session. Couldn't wait to move out of that place.
I started to ground myself from now on. :eek: :mrgreen:

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 am

Richard deHove wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm
Many years back I zapped a drum machine twice before I realized the problem. Had to send it in for repairs both times because of the big static discharge. Issue was the synthetic carpet. There was something particularly bad about it that just seemed to load people with a gear-killing charge.
Yes, synthetic carpets are bad news. I once worked for a computer manufacturer who refurbished their factory with synthetic carpets and people carrying computers from the assembly line to the burn in racks were getting zapped as they approached the racks. Every now and then you would hear a scream and a crash as the computer hit the floor. Strangely, there was no electrical damage, but there were a lot of bent cases. The problem was fixed by installing air humidifiers and keeping the air humid enough. The carpet manufacturer had actually specified what the humidity should be, but this had been ignored.
mnchrme wrote:I started to ground myself from now on.
That is just as likely to attract a discharge to you.

The best way to discharge something is to have a pointed object on it. When I played with Whimshurst machines in school we used to put people on a glass legged stool and make their hair stand on end, but when they stepped off they got quite a shock. The ones who had actually been following the lesson took a pencil out of their pocket and held it out and you could see their hair fall back in place and then they could step down without getting a shock.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 am

man i would pay top dollar for a book full of hintons horror stories ;D

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”