Lonely life in Modular Land.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Raleigh
Common Wiggler

Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Raleigh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm

I've been slowly building my Eurorack modular, all DIY, over the last few years and I'm loving it... Especially over the last few months, as I've got enough modules now to do some really cool stuff, plus I just finished building my first rack... An 84hp 9u rack set up and its about 2/3rds full now. Before that all my modules were rackless, and looked like a rats nest, and that's no way to lead you to happy patching, lol. I love it, and this hobby I've worked myself into. I'm also really satisfied with how much I've learned on all fronts... electronics, sound design, etc. Taught myself how to solder SMD electronics, etc. Its truly great all around!

However...

With that, I'm finding I'm all alone in it... Other than Facebook groups, and the Muffwiggler... I have no friends locally who are into it. When ever I post anything modular related in my personal FB feed... Its crickets, and in fact most of my personal friend don't even know what the heck I'm talking about when I start talking modular stuff. I barely even share stuff on my Facebook anymore since I don't think anyone gets it. I was part of a local electronics hackers group, but even there, most barely even know what a modular synth even is.

Anyone else share my same dilemma? Maybe I should start a local group or something.
Last edited by Raleigh on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astrodislocate
Common Wiggler

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by astrodislocate » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 pm

I certainly feel your pain to some degree. Admittedly, on my personal social media I actually do get a little enthusiasm from people who don't really understand what I'm doing, but think the sight of all the patch cables and PCBs etc are cool. Have you tried inviting a friend to come make weird noises with you maybe? Not something I've ever done (need to work on the "having a social life" part first) but maybe it'd help to get people excited for

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Rather than trying to get existing friends interested in modulars, try seeking new friends who are already wiggling. Do internet searches for local Meetup groups and other forms of semi-organized modular synth groups, experimental music groups, etc. Check at any nearby colleges etc. for these types of groups too.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Anyone else share my same dilemma? Maybe I should start a local group or something.
there's a new modular shop in south florida. not sure where you are but they do meet ups and synth jams.

also the store is in a record shop and is related to this venue

http://www.gramps.com

they do these open jams

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1285706

the record store is called Techniques and recently moved. the synth shop is inside the record store.

the synth shop is called "Wish You Were Gear".. they had an opening back in october.

880 NE 79th Street, Miami, Florida 33138

here's an article about it.. not sure they have a website yet.

https://www.timeout.com/miami/things-to ... ming-party

Raleigh
Common Wiggler

Post by Raleigh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 pm

ignatius wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Raleigh wrote:

there's a new modular shop in south florida. not sure where you are but they do meet ups and synth jams.

they do these open jams

the record store is called Techniques and recently moved. the synth shop is inside the record store.

the synth shop is called "Wish You Were Gear".. they had an opening back in october.

Cool! I'll have to check this out! I don't live in Miami, but I'm also not too far either! Thanks for posting!

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:40 pm

It’s been ten years since I had friends who were also into production and music making.

Not unrelated - it’s been ten years since someone stole a bunch of more or less precious stuff from me (mostly [irreplaceable] records but damn if it didn’t take me many years to find another power supply for my r8 at a not outrageous price).

Now when I meet people irl that mess with electronic music I just tell them I sold off all my gear... collaboration is fun but isn’t worth the risk and the paranoia for me.
It began as a mistake.

Raleigh
Common Wiggler

Post by Raleigh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:48 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:40 pm
It’s been ten years since I had friends who were also into production and music making.

Not unrelated - it’s been ten years since someone stole a bunch of more or less precious stuff from me (mostly [irreplaceable] records but damn if it didn’t take me many years to find another power supply for my r8 at a not outrageous price).

Now when I meet people irl that mess with electronic music I just tell them I sold off all my gear... collaboration is fun but isn’t worth the risk and the paranoia for me.
Oh yes... I've definitely considered this one before! I've also half considered getting insurance on my gear. I couldn't imagine bringing my precious modular gear out, then turn around and find that someone swipped it. All of my stuff is DIY, so just the hours that I've already invested into making modules and stuff. That's also probably one reason why I don't post a lot of my stuff in my FB posts. Hard to trust people sometimes, unfortunately.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:24 am

Just stop using/get used by facebook. :mrgreen: Facebook People are overrated. :miley:

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:44 am

My partner is knee deep into eurorack as well so I’m not alone but none of my friends or family know or care about it at all. Doesn’t matter to me though. We post our tracks on Soundcloud, my partner does a bit of promotion on FB, I do a bit on forums and we get 1500-2000 plays/track which makes the whole exercise feel meaningful to me.
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

papa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 am

I have been 5 years in Modular-land and DIY. I have to say that if you seek you will find people around you, my experience is that they are thinking in the same way as you, ''who cares and who knows'' but if you look around there are people. Mostly I think is based on age, for example in the small city were I live there are unexpectedly enough people but in the age of 22-35 mostly so you need to have something else also as common ground otherwise you will never meet them. In a way Modular is a very lonely world but more and more people are getting into this day by day.
The rule is 2/1 (2 cv per 1 audio) spread the word!

rduif
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rduif » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 am

I absolutely feel what you're saying. I'm a self-taught builder as well and though I at least have one or two friends who understand how a synth works, the DIY part makes it complete wizardry to most people around me.

The other day I randomly met someone irl who was basically doing the same thing as me (making an all-diy modular) for the first time since... well ever. And even though we only had about 30 minutes to chat, we were able to share so much thoughts and insights that I've become fully convinced that having a local community that you can physically meet and talk to is incredibly helpful. Particularly if you're teaching yourself about electronics, sound-design, etc. the simple act of asking someone a question can help you figure it out (at least that's how my mind tends to work).

So I would say yes, try to find some people in your area or start a group. I get the concerns about safety/theft, but I'd think there's plenty of room to navigate between being careful and being paranoid. Or just chain everything to your walls :tu:

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:

I was in a band in the 90's and had wheels. I would happily drive band members around to practice in the studio, get to gigs etc. It was fun.

At some point one of them convinced me to buy a boss delay pedal, I didn't know about line level etc at the time. They would loan it though because it sounded great with a guitar. :eek: It was never returned and they blamed each other for it's absence. :bang:

At least with modular I can replace each one of them with a module. Sort of anyway :hihi: :tu:

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Instagram is a much more modular-friendly place than FB.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Where do you live? If Miami isn't far then I'm probably not far either.

For online instagram is your best bet, you can't expect your existing friends to care but IG is great for connecting with like minded people, and you can find people somewhat local.

I never met anyone here until I bought a module on the BST several years ago and found out the seller lived across the street when he was going to ship it... :party:

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:28 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:

Same for me, also I dont post stuff on facebook anymore, from the risk of having burglars at my house.
And I dont want to show off. Collab for me is a pain in the ass, not because people are stealing as such, but because my cables, power supplies etc. etc. Just somehow disappears in other peoples mess.

Some people get the modular stuff, but I just post the music on BC without telling anyone how I made it.
For me this is my personal joy and I have this great forum, it's called muffwigglers, lots of nice people to talk to, you can even post pictures of your cat in there too.

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

ignatius wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Raleigh wrote:

they do these open jams

WOW! I'm in Naples. Thanks for posting. I'll have to stop over and jam.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:21 pm

You’re in Raleigh, NC? Although they are not into EXACTLY the same grove, the folks at the Electric Violin Shop In Durham might be into modular. They were very nice to me when I bought an amp and DI box from them last year. Perfect Circuit made an interesting demo with violin+Eurorack not so long ago —

The web site for the Durham store is https://www.electricviolinshop.com.
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:49 am

I recently discovered a member of my family is a wiggler. He lives in Australia now, so unfortunately a jam is unlikely in the foreseeable. If you're reading, mate - I'll email. Got the address from your mum. :tu:

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:35 am

InsectInPixel wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

OP is in Naples... so there you go.

Also if you go there let me know which night I also want to check it out.

ModusOp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModusOp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Sounds corny, but I actually met a bunch of fine wigglers via the local library. 🤓

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Many suffer from this problem but the solution is obvious; :sb: get a cat :party:

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 pm

I used to repair Maytag Washers... so it's perfect for me... :guinness:

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:35 am
InsectInPixel wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

OP is in Naples... so there you go.

Also if you go there let me know which night I also want to check it out.
OP? Is that a muffwiggler member or a place?
thanks!
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm

InsectInPixel wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

OP? Is that a muffwiggler member or a place?
thanks!
OP = "Original Poster" (the thread starter Raleigh)

Deadxringerxdrone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Deadxringerxdrone » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm

:zombie: out here in Phoenix I think there’s people into modular but few. I don’t really know of any place around that has anything of the sort. I think I would have to take the trip to L.A. or Vegas to even find a shop or a community of people with similar interests. So here we are :miley:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”