Lonely life in Modular Land.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1653
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Blairio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm

perhaps there are other ways to introduce a social side to modular synthesis, but not necessarily with other wigglers.

For instance, are there any local amateur film makers looking for an electronic sound track to their film? Or installation artists looking for an interesting self-generating soundscape to enhance their creation?

Or maybe a guitar based band looking for some electronic edginess? Roxy Music springs to mind as a good example.

I guess my point is that it is not just other wigglers you can collaborate with....

Marizu
Common Wiggler
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Marizu » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:51 am

Blairio wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm
I guess my point is that it is not just other wigglers you can collaborate with....
That's a great point.
Most of the people that I am involved with don't use modular, but we have similar influences and focus of enquiry.

cycad73
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by cycad73 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Deadxringerxdrone wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:08 pm
:zombie: out here in Phoenix I think there’s people into modular but few. I don’t really know of any place around that has anything of the sort. I think I would have to take the trip to L.A. or Vegas to even find a shop or a community of people with similar interests. So here we are :miley:
Search the "events" section below.

There was of course nothing when I lived there a decade ago, but I've been surprised at how many meetups have popped up in years since. Maybe some are still going.

User avatar
InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Naples, Florida
Contact:

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by InsectInPixel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 pm
ignatius wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Raleigh wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Anyone else share my same dilemma? Maybe I should start a local group or something.
there's a new modular shop in south florida. not sure where you are but they do meet ups and synth jams.

also the store is in a record shop and is related to this venue

http://www.gramps.com

they do these open jams

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1285706

the record store is called Techniques and recently moved. the synth shop is inside the record store.

the synth shop is called "Wish You Were Gear".. they had an opening back in october.

880 NE 79th Street, Miami, Florida 33138

here's an article about it.. not sure they have a website yet.

https://www.timeout.com/miami/things-to ... ming-party
Cool! I'll have to check this out! I don't live in Miami, but I'm also not too far either! Thanks for posting!
@Raleigh, I live in Naples. How close are you?
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

galaxie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 am

I am heavily into modular for 5 years. There are some groups near my locality, but their ages are much much younger. Fortunately a place called MW exists for lonely modular souls.

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am

I think interest in the music you make should help you meet people not the instruments you use.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Fl

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Derkdigg1er » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

ignatius wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Raleigh wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Anyone else share my same dilemma? Maybe I should start a local group or something.
there's a new modular shop in south florida. not sure where you are but they do meet ups and synth jams.

also the store is in a record shop and is related to this venue

http://www.gramps.com

they do these open jams

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1285706

the record store is called Techniques and recently moved. the synth shop is inside the record store.

the synth shop is called "Wish You Were Gear".. they had an opening back in october.

880 NE 79th Street, Miami, Florida 33138

here's an article about it.. not sure they have a website yet.

https://www.timeout.com/miami/things-to ... ming-party
No way! I’m in south Florida and new to modular, just finished my first rack. I was gonna make a post that I can’t find anything in south Florida for modular stuff. I figured with Miami being into electronic music there has to be some sort of modular crowd.

stega
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 am
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by stega » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Who’s in south Florida?

I’m in the boca raton area... :)

User avatar
0BSRVR
Common Wiggler
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:19 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by 0BSRVR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi Deadxringerxdrone

Fellow Phoenician wiggler here. There's actually a decent community for electronic music and modular right here in town. There is an event that happens (usually the last Saturday of every month) called Operation Noise Toaster. Look it up on FB. I've played at the event 3 times now. It's kinda an open jam format that happens at a church in downtown PHX. Not all modular, but very experimental electronic/noise/soundscape. It's a cool event, and you can meet other lots of other synth heads there.
______________________________________
My Sounds: www.soundcloud.com/0bsrvr



My System:

Travel Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1020365

Studio Case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1010495

Derkdigg1er
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Fl

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Derkdigg1er » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 pm

stega wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Who’s in south Florida?

I’m in the boca raton area... :)
I’m in Delray Beach dude.

User avatar
TimeRaveler
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by TimeRaveler » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm

There is nowhere so lonely as Des Moines, Iowa when it comes to synthesizers.

User avatar
xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by xonetacular » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Derkdigg1er wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:32 pm
stega wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm
Who’s in south Florida?

I’m in the boca raton area... :)
I’m in Delray Beach dude.
nice...

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by electricanada » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Any modular events in Tidewater VA? Should we start something?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2246
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by diophantine » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:07 am

0BSRVR, Deadxringerxdrone

Phoenix Synth Fest is happening next month... Steve Roach concert on Friday the 7th, meet-up/demos/etc. on the 8th.


User avatar
Muzone
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by Muzone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am
I think interest in the music you make should help you meet people not the instruments you use.
Agreed, but I've found it's usually modular musicians that seem to identify with their tools rather than their tunes :despair:

onthebandwagon
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Lonely life in Modular Land.

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 am

Muzone wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 am
I think interest in the music you make should help you meet people not the instruments you use.
Agreed, but I've found it's usually modular musicians that seem to identify with their tools rather than their tunes :despair:
Strange concept... I would hate to peek underneath their sheets at night.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”