"Really fat oscillators" ...c´mon...

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Re: "Really fat oscillators" ...c´mon...

Post by StillNotWorking » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:11 pm
StillNotWorking wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:34 pm
Thanks KSS. I meant to compensate for lack of resolution with a small analog knob a rotary encoder combined with a DAC can do multi turn high resolution with high and repeatedly accuracy. Stepless to fool user to have a analog feel.
That would then be simply more bits of the EK-7 setup. Where there are 16 coarse ranges subdivided into 16 fine steps. 256 is not 'stepless', but consider the Sequential Prophet 5 only used 127.

In the EK-7 notes, John S also talks about other arrangements to deal with the eternal preset vs pot shaft position. EK-7 uses pots, not encoders.
Sorry, I where thinking more as a consept to improve the problem of low resolution when using small knobs.
My idea would involve building digital controllable voltage references using modern lowcost MCU and a 12 or 16bit dac. A rotary encoder to quickly do coarse adjustment, then press rotary encoder a number of times to select resolution from 100mV, 10mV and 1mV.

From my reading back when I were building a control surface my understanding are that many are of the opinion a pot using standard 320 degree wiper travel combined with a typical 18mm knob can approx 10 bit resolution (1024 steps) on a good day. No idea what bit resolution to expect from 5 or 7cm knob size, but clearly it becomes much easier to find sweet spots in the analog domain.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”