pitch / gate control

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

vcf on off
Learning to Wiggle

pitch / gate control

Post by vcf on off » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 pm

hey friends,

i'm new in the modular world and have a question.my brain now is a mess and hopefully there is an easy solution. i have a vc-sequencer but there is no gate out. so i can change the pitch of my vco. but what to do trigger an envelope every time the pitch changes? so that i have a decay and release on every note.
like midi, that I have cv and gate at the same time. So basically a copy of the CV sequence but as a trigger / gate for the envelope. that's how I imagine it in my confused head;). does anyone have a solution or advice? Are there modules that convert cv to gate? Many thanks for your help!! ... and sorry my english is not so good;)

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: pitch / gate control

Post by sduck » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Use the clock that's it's running from - whether it be internal or external.

It might help if you tell us which vc sequencer you are talking about.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Post by Moerder » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:56 pm

welcome!

+1 for more info on the sequencer you use. also, depending on your system/format, it might be better to post in the respective forum, such as Eurorack, 5U, etc. This should get the people there involved more easily and give you more possible suggestions.

in general, there are converters for cv to trigger/gate and all kinds of other funky stuff. it really comes down to what you use or have available. or maybe you're willing to invest in another module/gadget. plenty of options either way.

vcf on off
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vcf on off » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 am

Moerder wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:56 pm
welcome!

+1 for more info on the sequencer you use. also, depending on your system/format, it might be better to post in the respective forum, such as Eurorack, 5U, etc. This should get the people there involved more easily and give you more possible suggestions.

in general, there are converters for cv to trigger/gate and all kinds of other funky stuff. it really comes down to what you use or have available. or maybe you're willing to invest in another module/gadget. plenty of options either way.
Thx. i'm using the Malekko voltage block. but there is no gate out. maybe the doepfer a-162 is what i need? it seems to create adjustable gates off any incoming cv-signal. so the cv-output of the voltage block > multiplier > one for VCO (for pitch) & the other to Doepfer a 162 (for Gate) > and then the Gate Signal to ADSR to set decay. Or am i wrong? Do you have betetr ideas? ;) Thx so much

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Post by Moerder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:08 am

hmm..I have the VB as well. sometimes I use it to just trigger a drum sound, but that module has an in-built trigger converter so as long as there is cv from the vb it fires. more specifically, you'd clear all cv on one channel of the vb and then just use the slider on specific buttons/steps. like every second step for example. it should theoretically work the same with your envelope stuff. one gate signal is essentially just a voltage high, i.e. cv, so if it's only on for one step on the VB that pretty much makes it a gate. does that make sense? I guess in your example that would mean using 2 channels of the vb, and using it as a gate sequencer is not really what it's intended for, but it should work still.

can you maybe post a link to a modgrid so we can see what else you have? I mean, everything can usually be achieved in a myriad of ways so the above is just one tiny and perhaps not ideal version. but you might have a vca, lfo, etc that opens up more possibilities as well. all the best! edit: would also be better to post in the eurorack specific forum about this. ;)

mosorensen
Common Wiggler

Post by mosorensen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:44 am

A classical technique is to generate V/oct and triggers from different sources. This tends to generate more interesting “melodies”.

It sounds like you have V/oct covered. There are many many modules that generate interesting triggers, such as Rotating Clock Divider, Euclidean Circles, Zularic Repetitor, etc.

Run the V/oct and triggers slightly out of sync (e.g one is 16 steps the other is 14 steps) for instant, evolving, goodness.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:49 am

"Back in the Day" modular sequencers seldom had their own internal clocks so external LFOs or clock generators were used to clock the sequencer. These external clocks also were multipled to the Envelope Generators to gate them too. This was very basic. Nowadays you have a large assortment of clock generators to choose from that don't just give standard always on clocks, but can be programmed to produce rhythms. This adds a total new dimension by allowing step sequencers to easily have a rhythm to them. Also you can have situations where the sequencer has more or less notes programmed into it than the beats in a "bar" produced by the rhythm clock allowing phrases to not repeat but take X number of cycles before the notes re-allign to the start of the bar. MUCH more fun than simply clocking with a straight LFO. With the correct use of the reset on the sequencer being run from another programmed clock source, very complicated phrases can be made.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”