Passive mixing

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

SonarBk
Learning to Wiggle

Passive mixing

Post by SonarBk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am

Hi -

Can I hear your thoughts on what makes modules well suited for passive mixing?

I have a weird project where I'm going to build a modular set up specifically to use with a passive patchbay... attenuation and crosstalk are wanted elements for this! But I'm also wondering about options for more precision if I want it... Is it just about level setting and scaling CV? Buffered circuits in the modules themselves?

I'm quite new so speak newbie piz. (Specific context for this question is in my Gestural Patching Meng Qi post in the synthesis technique forum but wanted to check here too)

thank you!!!!!!

Michael O.
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Passive mixing

Post by Michael O. » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 pm

I’m not sure I totally understand the question; are you going to be doing the passive summing via resistors, transformers, or something else? The passive patchbay bit confuses me as well, because, other than some sort of digital patchbays, all I’ve encountered are passive patchbays (and of course, the summing doesn’t occur in the patchbay itself).

SonarBk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Passive mixing

Post by SonarBk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Thanks for reply -
It’s a passive matrix mixer but larger than usual (10x20), built for gestural patching with touch or magnets. So it’s unpredictable in terms of attenuation and noise (both of whcih I like about it)

Can all modules be sent to passive mixers? Or only ones with buffers? Thanks for patience with newbie questions!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”