East coast voice: in the rack or out?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

pzriddle
Learning to Wiggle

East coast voice: in the rack or out?

Post by pzriddle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:40 pm

I'm a price-conscious newbie. Looking at standard VCOs, LFOs, filters, etc. I'm wondering whether they even need to be in my rack. Maybe it's more cost- and space-effective to get a couple of "east coast" semimodulars (Mother 32 or, don't hate me, Behringer Crave or Neutron) and reserve my precious HP for utilities and things that only exist in eurorack format - Mutable, Maths, etc.

Can cheap semimodulars substitute for a lot of separate vanilla modules?

pzriddle
Learning to Wiggle

Re: East coast voice: in the rack or out?

Post by pzriddle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:41 pm

(Actually I've already started down this path: my first purchase was a Grandmother, to which I recently added my first small rack. I could add a Crave for the price of two cheap used modules of the standard east coast variety.)

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:48 pm

The history of “cheap semi modulars” goes back to this very concept.

It’s why the minimoog came about, because performing musicians were using the same basic patch structure for most of their sounds. So they packaged it up and there you go -Minimoog.

Get a monosynth for all that stuff and yeah save the rack for more oddball stuff. Sounds like a fine way to get started.

Steve
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Some say the Crave is a barely disguised Mother 32 clone - so you might have some overlap with the grandma in terms of the filter. I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do.

As far as the general approach though, yes, the semi-mods are definitely a great way to bring a pile of utilities into a system on the cheap. Ergonomics take a hit, but if cost matters it can be well worth it.
It began as a mistake.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 pm

Missed your second post...

So you’ve got a grandma. The crave is good because of the sequencer. I’d go for the minibrute2s over the crave. A little more $$ but you’re getting a bit more too. Not eurorack but then again you don’t need a rack and power supply etc.

I think the grandma will cover all the sonic territory of the crave too, you might want something a bit more “out there” ..?

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:58 pm

revtor wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 pm
I’d go for the minibrute2s over the crave. A little more $$ but you’re getting a bit more too. Not eurorack but then again you don’t need a rack and power supply etc.
I actually was going to suggest the MB2 or 2S as well. They are losing a lot of their value on the used market - been seeing them offered as low as $350 or so for a 2S which is a CRAZY amount of synth for the money.
It began as a mistake.

pzriddle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pzriddle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks, everybody!

With the Grandmother, I've run into a few challenges carving individual modules out of the signal path to use with my Eurorack - for example, if I route a Eurorack voice through the Grandmother filter I don't see how to trigger the filter envelope independently of what the rest of the Moog is doing.

So there are some subtle relationships among the Grandmother modules that can't be completely replaced by patching. I bet I haven't found them all yet. Other semimodulars may have their own quirks along these lines.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:29 pm

pzriddle wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:41 pm
Thanks, everybody!

With the Grandmother, I've run into a few challenges carving individual modules out of the signal path to use with my Eurorack - for example, if I route a Eurorack voice through the Grandmother filter I don't see how to trigger the filter envelope independently of what the rest of the Moog is doing.

So there are some subtle relationships among the Grandmother modules that can't be completely replaced by patching. I bet I haven't found them all yet. Other semimodulars may have their own quirks along these lines.

Learning what you’ve got and noting things like above will allow you to make a much better use of your $$ Than by blindly buying what’s new and shiny. Keep notes of what you wish you could do, and keep learning what you’ve got.. GO DEEP!

Agawell
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm

pzriddle wrote:

I just had a look at the patch sheet for the grandmom - to use the filter with an external voice = have you tried setting the kyd follow switch to off and then inserting an envelope into the envelope amount in? - it looks like it should work

maybe an 0-coast might be a good middle ground as an additional full voice

pzriddle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pzriddle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Agawell wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm
pzriddle wrote:
I just had a look at the patch sheet for the grandmom - to use the filter with an external voice = have you tried setting the kyd follow switch to off and then inserting an envelope into the envelope amount in? - it looks like it should work
You're right, I keep forgetting about the Grandmother's global settings. I'm primarily thinking of the visible knobs and patch points, but there's bunch more under the hood.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”