Mono or Stereo?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
dangayle
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Mono or Stereo?

Post by dangayle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 am

I have this question with my Elektron gear: They all have stereo ins and outs, but mixers are for the most part all dedicated to mono.

How do you deal with this in a live performance setup? Just say screw it, and toss them a mono output?

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:15 am
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 am

It depends. You could hard pan elements and treat each side as a separate sub-mixes, or it might be that you get sick of carting a huge desk around to gigs, so are limited on inputs anyway and just run into one. If the material you have requires stereo then it might be necessary to use two inputs to get the most from it. Some desks have stereo inputs so you could use one of those channels.

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by dangayle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:24 am

Mr_Sulcus wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 am
It depends. You could hard pan elements and treat each side as a separate sub-mixes, or it might be that you get sick of carting a huge desk around to gigs, so are limited on inputs anyway and just run into one. If the material you have requires stereo then it might be necessary to use two inputs to get the most from it. Some desks have stereo inputs so you could use one of those channels.
I have an Allen & Heath Mixwizard 3 20s mixer with 8 stereo inputs, and I know it's going to be a beast to haul around. Not looking forward to that, to be honest.

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:15 am
Location: Birmingham UK

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:21 am

That's it. I used to (not modular) drag all sorts of stuff about, and I got sick of it. Keeping track of connections and power too was a headache. That was partly behind my switch to modular and had a big influence on how I designed my case.

User avatar
BenA718
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am
Location: NYC

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by BenA718 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 am

I maintain stereo, but if FoH is mono, I have a small 4 in, 1 out mixer that I use for summing just in case. That is what I feed FoH if required. (I also do a lot of sub mixing even prior to that)

User avatar
Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 am
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Contact:

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by Pelsea » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:23 pm

I usually don't bother with stereo because most venues do it so badly. Typically half the house hears the left channel and the other half hears the right.

I've even spent an hour or so setting up a good image, only to discover (afterwards) that a house engineer had panned everything center because "we always do it that way."
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

User avatar
BenA718
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am
Location: NYC

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by BenA718 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am

A lot of the venues in NYC that are not metal-centric run stereo to FoH. A couple of them even have engineers who care to get it right. I find it easier to maintain stereo and sum it to mono if needed, but can understand why someone would want to to the inverse. I have found, in general, more and more venues are accustomed to dealing with performers using backing tracks, stems, etc that are in stereo as part of their sound.

Where it can get problematic is how they handle cue sends for monitors.

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1692
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by Blairio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm

BenA718 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am
A lot of the venues in NYC that are not metal-centric run stereo to FoH. A couple of them even have engineers who care to get it right. I find it easier to maintain stereo and sum it to mono if needed, but can understand why someone would want to to the inverse. I have found, in general, more and more venues are accustomed to dealing with performers using backing tracks, stems, etc that are in stereo as part of their sound.

Where it can get problematic is how they handle cue sends for monitors.
I guess it depends on the size of the venue. A good mono mix should be coherent just about anywhere in a reasonably designed (acoustically) venue. I been to too many gigs where I am having to standi well left or right of centre, and the FOH engineer has pan'ed sounds too hard left or right. These sounds are either too loud or simply not there.

User avatar
BenA718
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am
Location: NYC

Re: Mono or Stereo?

Post by BenA718 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Blairio wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm
BenA718 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am
A lot of the venues in NYC that are not metal-centric run stereo to FoH. A couple of them even have engineers who care to get it right. I find it easier to maintain stereo and sum it to mono if needed, but can understand why someone would want to to the inverse. I have found, in general, more and more venues are accustomed to dealing with performers using backing tracks, stems, etc that are in stereo as part of their sound.

Where it can get problematic is how they handle cue sends for monitors.
I guess it depends on the size of the venue. A good mono mix should be coherent just about anywhere in a reasonably designed (acoustically) venue. I been to too many gigs where I am having to standi well left or right of centre, and the FOH engineer has pan'ed sounds too hard left or right. These sounds are either too loud or simply not there.
Yup, if you’re handing off a stereo mix to FoH, it’s your own fault if it sounds bad. :)
A good mono mix does everything you need!

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”