saving settings

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mkoenig1990
Learning to Wiggle

saving settings

Post by mkoenig1990 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi folks

Is there any way of saving a setting from a hardware synth or module synth?

Since there are synths that let you save settings i wonder if there arent any modules that save the sound you make so you can call it up and play it anytime?

is there any way?

Thanks

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Re: saving settings

Post by hsosdrum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm

If I want to "save" a patch I document every connection and module control setting in an MS Word document. This can be tedious and time consuming, but it works — I am able to tear a patch down, set up a completely different patch and work with it for weeks (or months) and then go back to the original patch by following my documentation.

For example, here's my documentation for a patch for the ELP "Lucky Man" Moog solo (all modules except oscillators and mixer are Dotcom):

Oscillators (3 x SSL VCO 1200):
• Coarse = 3
• Fine = All at A = 440 with two detuned for slight beating (confirm by ear on D2)
• Wave = Pulse; PW% = 50 (square wave)
STG Mixer:
• All 3 oscs = 100%
• Master Out = 100%
• Negative Kill = ON
J150 Ladder Filter:
• Frequency = –1
• Regen = 6 (change to 7.5 at end)
• CV = +2.5 (change to +1.5 at end)
• Input Level = 100%
• Slope = – 24dB
• 1V/oct = Connected to pitch CV
EG:
• Through Y-cable, controls VCF via Q125 (top) and VCA directly
• Attack = 0
• Decay = 5.1
• Sustain = 7
• Release = 7.9
Q125:
• Gain = +200%
• Offset = – 1.7
VCA:
• Response = Linear
• Gain = 0
• Control Level = 4 – 5
Reverb:
• Drive = 8
• Amount = 3.5

I've had this patched up and torn down several times over the past couple of years and the above documentation yields 100% repeatable results.

(BTW, if you want to play the Lucky Man solo, this patch will get you to 99% of Emerson's sound; to 95% with Dotcom oscillators instead of the SSLs.)

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:01 pm

It's not common that I want to save a sound, but when I do, I take a photo of the modular with all cables and knob settings. Sometimes a closeup on a small area to get exact settings.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 pm

I took a photo of a small patch the other day.
7D86A2BD-0B75-42AE-9FFA-40C394DB629B.jpeg
7D86A2BD-0B75-42AE-9FFA-40C394DB629B.jpeg (566.66 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Now.. where to start, where to start? :razz:

I would never put the effort into rebuilding a patch after I’ve torn it. I’d rather put that time into making several new ones.
An exclusive, all Alesis Ion track! The best synth ever made. :guinness:

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm
STG Mixer:
• All 3 oscs = 100%
• Master Out = 100%
• Negative Kill = ON
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:10 pm

When I have a patch I consider a keeper, I sketch it out like my book examples. Critical settings are listed on or below the diagram.

I would put an example here if it were still possible to post images. (Oh I get it-- there's a hidden "inline" button in the attachment dialog.)
VCATricksEvolve2.png
VCATricksEvolve2.png (41.21 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Set ADSR1 to AR
Last edited by Pelsea on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 pm

There's a small but growing number of modules (in Euro at least) that allow for saving patches--mostly things like sequencers. For example you can save patterns on the Malekko Voltage Block which also saves the pattern that's on the Varigate. But that's not going to remember your oscillator settings and so on.

Otherwise the Buchla 200e is the only complete modular system that I know that has memory for most parameters.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 pm

For semi modular (like my Moog Grandmother) I have photocopies of the control panel, and for a given patch I note settings and patch points against them.

For modular, I have all but given up trying to recall the totality of a complex patch, with 60* or so different modules. Instead I photograph the settings & patch points on critical sound creation and shaping modules and their modulation sources.

It is a real joy to move back to a synth with total recall, after trying to recreate a modular patch. Every setting recovered with one button press.

*: My rack has the equivalent of 6 full synth voices with associated plumbing. So not all 60 modules contribute to a single sound ,- it is more like a small orchestra, including sequencing and FX.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:09 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
If I want to "save" a patch I document every connection and module control setting in an MS Word document. This can be tedious and time consuming, but it works — I am able to tear a patch down, set up a completely different patch and work with it for weeks (or months) and then go back to the original patch by following my documentation.

For example, here's my documentation for a patch for the ELP "Lucky Man" Moog solo (all modules except oscillators and mixer are Dotcom):

• Coarse = 3
• Fine = All at A = 440 with two detuned for slight beating (confirm by ear on D2)
I do this too, but at the end of each block, I note where its outputs are going, like so:

Pulse Out -> SSL Steiner Filter Lo Pass In
Sine Out -> MOTM-190 CV 1 In
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 pm

So, you can use a module that can remember voltages, and then patch it up the same way each time. There are a few that can do this really well.
I have used the Intellijel Tetrapad to great effect this way, set each voltage the way you want, patch em to your modules, every time you reboot you can recall the exact settings you want.

I don't happen to have one of these, but Livestock makes a module called Ellis that specializes in presets. It has some neat options for crossfading between different settings and things, so I bet it kicks ass in live settings. Anyways, I haven't heard anything bad about it, only praise, so I think it's safe to suggest taking a look:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/livestock ... nics-ellis

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:18 pm

hamildad wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm
hsosdrum wrote:
STG Mixer:
• All 3 oscs = 100%
• Master Out = 100%
• Negative Kill = ON
:lolspew:

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:28 pm

cornutt wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:09 pm
hsosdrum wrote:

• Coarse = 3
I do this too, but at the end of each block, I note where its outputs are going, like so:

Pulse Out -> SSL Steiner Filter Lo Pass In
Sine Out -> MOTM-190 CV 1 In
I suppose if I were documenting the patch for others I would note all connections, like KBD pitch and gate, but since those are more or less permanent connections on my machine I don't need to document them for myself. For a standard keyboard sound patch (VCO>Mixer>VCF>VCA) I only note if there's a connection that's out-of-the-ordinary (like the Q125 that drives the VCF CV in my "Lucky Man" patch). I also note the absence of usual connections, such as an organ patch that has no VCF CV connections at all.

I have documented a different patch that involves 2 rows of a Q119, with their outputs thru a Q962 that's being triggered by keyboard gate commands thru a Q170 MIDI Gates. That one has all connections documented.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 pm

What I normally do, is that if I'm recording in something for serious intention to use it, I write out brief-ish patch notes of what the specific, key modules used were in the filename. Usually this is a list of the osc/sound sources, filters and key effects or modulator(s) used, and avoiding listing things that either are interchangeable (like the source of some generic LFO'ing) or things that don't change much (or ever) patch to patch like VCAs, clock source etc. If applicable, aka it was being controlled/sequenced from my DAW I'll also note the number of the track pattern used in the recording.

This sometimes makes for rather long filenames, but as I separate out the recordings into groups of files per-track it doesn't get too messy, and these prove invaluable later for if I want get something similar without having to just guess what I was doing back then, and without having to go pull up a photo album and squint at it. I've tried photo documenting patches, but I've literally never been compelled enough to go 1:1 recreate a patch from one, and find my filename-notes generally sufficient enough to get me back in the ballpark of that sound. It's not like someone's going to quiz you later on what the exact settings on your attenuverters or fine-tune on oscs were in a specific track - at most, it's "what osc/filter was doing that", "what effects is that", "what was doing the modulating for that effect" etc. Which you can all note in the file name.

If your system is small / light on sound sources, filters etc so that there's no change you'd get confused with later, then even this level of note-taking may not be of huge assistance. If the rack is growing / morphing a lot with stuff coming in and out, then it'd be very useful.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”