Crackles, drops etc.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Crackles, drops etc.

Post by mnchrme » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello. I have an issue with my system when sending something external through it. It has happened with most of my hw synths so far even though I went through all the steps to get a different result. Basically I am sending a Juno-6 through some guitar pedals -> analog drive -> Ears > Quad VCA > filter/fx/reverb module > mix (with send fx) > vermona output > external xlr mix > audio interface. Levels are in good values. Somehow after some while I get either a volume drop within the system or when playing something through the sound casually produces “crackling” of some sort. Mind you it’s a very subtle crackle present in the sound source, somehow being there. I started noticing it in a lot of music I am listening to right now so it seems like a wider issue. Any ideas?

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Crackles, drops etc.

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Check the simplest component--your audio and USB cables. Try different ones and see if there's a difference. It sounds like it's happening with all audio --presumably streaming music, etc.? If it's not just happening when recording, leave all that gear out of the equation to troubleshoot.

It's also possible that it's your driver or audio settings. What interface? What OS? What computer?

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 am

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen with max spec. Macbook Pro late 2012, 10.12. It’s not happening when listening to music. Just when I am recording. I have looked up my recording settings etc. Changed some cables. Nothing works. I might start with checking patch cables but I ran the synth through pre’s only and I am getting the crackle as well so it’s probably not tied to my system at all. I will rewire my setup tonight to see if there’s a difference. :hmm:

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 pm

mnchrme wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 am
I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen with max spec. Macbook Pro late 2012, 10.12. It’s not happening when listening to music. Just when I am recording. I have looked up my recording settings etc. Changed some cables. Nothing works. I might start with checking patch cables but I ran the synth through pre’s only and I am getting the crackle as well so it’s probably not tied to my system at all. I will rewire my setup tonight to see if there’s a difference. :hmm:
I have a 6i6 2nd generation that the same thing happens to me. I'm running on a PC (Win 10). But it crackles/pops sometimes while listening to music or YT videos. I've tried to find solutions online and have come across many people having the same issues. The solutions are from changing USB cables or ports to using different USB drivers to getting into the Registry which it seems none are an all around fix. Very frustrating. I like the hardware aspect of the Focusrite but have been contemplating the idea of going with some other brand but not sure yet.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 pm

mnchrme wrote:
Yeah removing all of the extras from the chain makes it easier to track down. If it's not the Juno you can add one device at a time until you find the culprit. But it sounds like Juno output is either running hot or has an issue.

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I honestly have no idea. I tried to record some of it down. https://soundcloud.com/mnchrme/juno-test/s-5fnoq ~ Juno-6 > modular eurorack input module (Ears) > Quad VCA (normal level) > hot glue > vermona xlr output > audio interface. I wasn't using any filters or processing inside rack. Nothing on master in my DAW, a lot of headroom left, no clipping on pre’s, slight touch of reverb and delay at the very end. Do you hear it too?

mnchrme
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mnchrme » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Synth Con Meo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 pm
mnchrme wrote:
I have a 6i6 2nd generation that the same thing happens to me. I'm running on a PC (Win 10). But it crackles/pops sometimes while listening to music or YT videos. I've tried to find solutions online and have come across many people having the same issues. The solutions are from changing USB cables or ports to using different USB drivers to getting into the Registry which it seems none are an all around fix. Very frustrating. I like the hardware aspect of the Focusrite but have been contemplating the idea of going with some other brand but not sure yet.
Yeah I had some wild issues with it too in start. Also with 2i2 which was rather glitchy but delivered since it’s release before recent upgrade to 3rd gen. Loving the build quality and sound... it delivers. Software for it is glitchy as well though, unreliable at least for me on 10.12 which I had to upgrade to from my stable prehistoric OS. I wonder. The thing is I was getting similar crackles/glitches when recording let’s say a patch involving couple filters, shapeshifter ran thru cinnamon and then standart way out. On some of the wavetables it was clipped too. I have levels in balance though...

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”