VCA with offset uses

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

VCA with offset uses

Post by slumberjack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 am

Hi all,

I'm curious what you do with a VCA that comes with a bipolar offset after the attenuator. I mostly use following module for my vca appilications and am wondering what to do with a positive offset beside boosting the signal patched into a second channel or sometime leave the vca a little bit open on the initial channel. But I guess I'm missing something.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erogenous-tones-vc8
Last edited by slumberjack on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

bagoly
Common Wiggler

Re: VCA with offset uses

Post by bagoly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 am

I wish more VCAs came with both offset (or manual gain) controls AND attenuators for the CV, I think it's a very handy to have both!

Here's some ideas:
Amplitude modulation, either tremolo effects or audiorate AM without having to offset the LFO/VCO first. Set the offset to around half unity gain and modulate the VCA with a sine LFO/VCO for example.

Also useful for subtle dynamic variations. For example, with the VCA almost fully open, modulate it with a bit of random S&H and use it to either process the audio directly or to change the amplitude of the envelope which controls the VCF or VCA in your patch.

electricanada
Ultra Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:44 am

slumberjack wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 am
Hi all,

I'm curious what you do with a VCA that comes with a bipolar offset after the attenuator. I mostly use following module for my vca appilications and am wondering what to do with a positive offset beside boosting the signal patched into a second channel or sometime leave the vca a little bit open on the initial channel. But I guess I'm missing something.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erogenous-tones-vc8
If you run cv through your vca, offset is very handy for transposing, etc. See the manual for 4ms SISM.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 am

Inverse envelopes -- or compression/ducking if you run audio through an envelope follower and use that as the CV.
"The faint whisper of rain and running water was still there and it had the same tender note of solitude and perfection. But what did the rain mean to him as long as he couldn’t write a song about it?"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:43 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:19 am
Inverse envelopes -- or compression/ducking if you run audio through an envelope follower and use that as the CV.
...means that I would open the vca but down the offset below 0 and feed the inverted envelope the vca?

Muff McMuff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Muff McMuff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 am

Frank Murder did an excellent series VCA videos and he explains the bias/offset. Here is one of them but there are three or four.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”