When to sell off modules?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

When to sell off modules?

Post by Cryosion » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 pm

I have a couple modules right now that I'm not in love with, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to sell them. Mainly my sequencer and sampler for drums at the moment. I don't have a replacement, but I have some modules I'd like to try instead. Part of my wants to sell off these modules to fund the new ones, but I don't really want to constantly sell off modules to buy new ones and lose a little bit of money each time.

Is that a better way to go, or should I save up and buy the new modules, then compare them to each other for a while before selling?
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: When to sell off modules?

Post by lisa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Loads of people feel this way about gear but why? I never really got where this type of uncertainty comes from. Have you used the modules extensively? Then you know if they work for you. If you haven’t used them very much then you should! Make a few tracks and ask yourself the same question again.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StillNotWorking » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm

Buy second hand and never sell — then the loss is complete :hyper:

Maybe you could start a thread asking for comparison between the module you have and what you luster? I found that one rarely get the best of both in one which make me own more modules.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:46 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 pm
Loads of people feel this way about gear but why? I never really got where this type of uncertainty comes from. Have you used the modules extensively? Then you know if they work for you. If you haven’t used them very much then you should! Make a few tracks and ask yourself the same question again.
I can be an impulsive person sometimes, so I don't want to sell a module and later regret it and have to buy it again. Lol, I just want to make the perfect module choices first try! I know that's unreasonable, but I really don't like the hassle of selling modules. That's the main reason. I'll have to make some music and pay close attention to how these modules feel to me and see if the issue is me, or the modules. Thanks for the input!
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:54 pm

If I know module B will replace module A I will wait to sell A until I have B and know it's a keeper. The danger for me at least is in keeping things "in case I need it at some point." That's less of a problem for me with modules but it explains a box of pedals I've not used in years.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:15 am

I've kept 95% of the modules I buy, but those other 5% are sold at an extreme loss or generally given away. Some are not so sexy since they are older and wider than what is standard these days. I'll likely give them to CalArts or something. Frankly, I've given up selling Euro modules.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 am

I would allow yourself a little more time to gel with modules than you might with other hardware, unless you are 100% certain there is something about them that you can't work with. In my experience of modules (Euro) the manuals are not always exhaustive and you can learn of new and hitherto unknown techniques and applications for them just by reading this forum or seeing something in a demo video. As already suggested, make a few tracks before you make up your mind, with modular your skill set is always developing and evolving and your needs and opinions of modules will probably change accordingly. Selling unwanted modules is no big deal, but selling them only to buy them back is probably best avoided. Saying that, I would rather lose a bit of money than have unwanted/unused modules in my cases for any period of time :)

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:45 pm

I give my grandson all the modules that I do not like.

So far he doesn't have any, but he might get a Charcot Circles one day... :sstorm:

mookmoof
Common Wiggler

Post by mookmoof » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:46 pm

If there's a module that's rubbing you the wrong way dish it!

levelhead3
Common Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:13 pm

unless a module is some sort of super-rare piece that you're likely never to find again then i don't see a reason to hang on to it - if you regret ditching it later that can be rectified easily enough.

sure buying new and then selling used = financial hit (unless you're talking STS Serge), but buying new and never using = even more of a financial hit.

the only other possible angle is hanging on to something that is will appreciate in value, as an investment. which is sort of a different conversation, and probably moot for most euro.

they're just tools - unless you're a collector might as well sell them if you're not using them.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:38 pm

lisa wrote:
great advice! Sadly, I usually try them again and love them! With modular stuff there can be endless possibilities. So I can usually find something new about each module, each time.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Cryosion wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 pm
I don't really want to constantly sell off modules to buy new ones and lose a little bit of money each time.
I think of it as a rental fee, and have appreciated the opportunity to broaden my horizons. It's definitely been a journey of discovery.

I have very few regrets about any of it. Last year I made a pretty big change that turned out not to work out, followed by another big change to correct my course.... but even from that, I learned some more in-depth techniques and relationships as well as a valuable lesson about what is important to me in an instrument. And at this point I'm getting close to settling in with a particular configuration.

So I guess my answer for the thread title question is... after due consideration and exploration of the gear, if it doesn't serve your musical needs or it annoys you, sell it mercilessly :mrgreen:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Scories
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Maybe you could try to trade some of them.

Duga-3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Duga-3 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 am

thetwlo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:38 pm
lisa wrote:
great advice! Sadly, I usually try them again and love them! With modular stuff there can be endless possibilities. So I can usually find something new about each module, each time.
Sometimes with modules it's a little bit as with clothes: you see that ultimately nice piece, buy it, wear it and ... urgh ... not really the good feeling as expected. Then - two years later - give it a last try before you send it to the bin ... suddenly ... endless love until it falls apart :mrgreen:

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:21 pm

They'll always sell for less than you paid (most of the time), so i see it as "renting" the modules until i feel they no longer fit my workflow or vision.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 pm

In my experience, gear is disposed of about two weeks before it turns out to be vital to some project.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:08 am

Pelsea wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 pm
In my experience, gear is disposed of about two weeks before it turns out to be vital to some project.
This +1 ...and then it accumulate :roll:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”