V/Oct to V/Hertz interface box or in-synth mods... interest?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

belltones
Learning to Wiggle

V/Oct to V/Hertz interface box or in-synth mods... interest?

Post by belltones » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi folks, so I just got done making this 4 channel V/oct to V/hertz converter box for a client using a PCB I designed loosely based on the Korg MS-02. It also has a v-trig/gate to S-trig converter for each channel:

He'll be using it to control the four channels of two vintage Yamaha CS-15s with his Eurorack setup. We've also modded his CS-15 to have independent buffered outputs per voice.
In the past, I have used this same PCB to install an onboard V/Oct CV input into a vintage volts/hertz Korg (Minikorg 700s).

Since I've already put in the R&D and made the boards I'm realizing I could dash out a run of interface boxes like this (probably 2 channel, not 4 because hardly anyone would need that!) if there's interest. They would probably be self-contained, with a built in PSU. Would anyone here be into such a thing and if so, how much might it be worth to you?

I know I could make a little money selling bare PCBs too but since this is just a small part of my "real job business," not just a hobby, I'm not sure it's worth spending time fulfilling orders for the $15/each price people would probably expect to get them for.

Also, any ideas for any other manifestations of this, um, "technology"?
I know there's already some Euro modules that do this, including the unbeatably inexpensive Pharmasonic Face-02, so I'm probably not going to do that.

thanks in advance!

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Re: V/Oct to V/Hertz interface box or in-synth mods... interest?

Post by thermisonic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 am

Harevestman English Tear already exists in euro, and a good number of modern sequencers will let you choose which coltage standard to output so the market for this will be smaller than in the recent past.

Nice work! I have a few HZ/V synths and a 2 channel standalone might appeal around £150

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:56 am

thermisonic wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 am
Harevestman English Tear already exists in euro, and a good number of modern sequencers will let you choose which coltage standard to output so the market for this will be smaller than in the recent past.

Nice work! I have a few HZ/V synths and a 2 channel standalone might appeal around £150
Ladik also has 1V/Oct to Hz/V, and Hz/V to 1V/Oct converters in 4hp each; which include both CV and invertable trigger conversions. Not sure how useful a trigger converter would be for standalone synths, though.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:27 pm

belltones wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:30 pm
I'm not sure it's worth spending time fulfilling orders for the $15/each price people would probably expect to get them for.
Oh I wouldn't call that a $15 PCB - Looks nice! - You could easily charge $250 for a completed module of four converters - preferably without the wood sides or any painted decoration. The #4 channel there on the end would be a fine 5U / Moog Unit sized module. Not sure of any 5U Hz/Volt converters (though the use in 5U is marginal) - though four of those converters as you have laid out would be great for old Korgs and current Metasonix.

Echoing what others have said about modules in eurorack. Often been curious about the English Tear. I have an Acidlab MS-2 which does everything for me: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acidlab-ms2

belltones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by belltones » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:29 am

I think I might just start by making a couple of desktop two channel ones (like the one above, but two channels and a less wacky-looking design) and put them up for sale. I know it's a niche thing, so I know it doesn't make much sense to go Full Production with it.

diodennis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by diodennis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Looks nice!

I would be interested in a 2 channel version. The cheaper the better ;)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”