"Saving" modules while patching

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

"Saving" modules while patching

Post by jkjelec » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:52 pm

I wonder if anyone else with a medium-to-large modular system does what I find myself doing...I sort of find myself "saving" nearby utility modules for some "future use" in the patch, where the reason I bought the module and placed it in a specific location in my system in the first place was to USE it. An example might be my Manhattan Analog Manual Voltage Processor (MVP). There it is, in the middle of my system, just waiting to offset, scale, attenuvert, mult/buffer or mix several signals. But when I start a patch and need these sort of functions, I'm like "Oh...I'd better use the Circuit Abbey Invy (that is in some far away corner of the modular) for this signal scaling now, and save the MVP for "later"." So in the end the patch cables are much longer than they need to be, the patches' visual flow doesn't make sense, and there is a big, open area in the middle of the patch where the wonderful MVP sits unused. I must be some variation of a "hoarder" with this kind of thinking. WTH? Anyone else?
:hmm:
Last edited by jkjelec on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: "Saving" modules while patching

Post by lisa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Nah, I use whatever I want. Now and then I run out of stuff, when that happens I find another path or (in rare cases) I repatch.
Remorseless modular beat; a bit discordant but melodic too. 🦊🦂

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Yep. Happens after patching too: "Am I REALLY using this complex slew/function module just as a bog standard LFO?" All parts of the patch design process really.

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Post by jkjelec » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am

GuyaGuy Yes! I get unsettled when using less than half of the functions of a module :lol:

Bitnik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bitnik » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:26 am

One thing I learned from my career as a software engineer is to refactor early and often. If your patch flow isn't easy to follow visually, make changes so that it is.

In this view, saving a module for "later" makes a kind of sense. Concentrate first on getting the sound you want, then repatch to make it easier to work with.

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm

So why is the Invy way off in the boonies? It should be close to the modules it most commonly processes. I prefer to arrange systems so rows of control generators alternate with the signal modules (CVs below). I place CV utilities at the center of the CV row so patch cords only make a slight detour if the control needs processing.

As far as "wasting" the MVP, just think of it as 5 modules--take a sharpie and draw lines between the sections if it helps clarify your thinking.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

it's for this very reason i've found myself moving away from modules that offer too much complexity or are multifunction (except maths... it's the exception because it was the first thing i got and i know it like the back of my hand.) the ones i do own that are more complex, i've found are either the central focus of the patch (as they take the most time to consider outside the context of other modules) or are thrown in as an afterthought once the patch is near completion. but probably my own shortcoming for not thoroughly learning them (like shapeshifter, morphagene, SMR, t-rackonizer) like i did maths.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 pm

It's the do-or-die moment for a patch if that happens to me. "Is this patch worth the effort of backing up and repatching to free up module X?"

But there are two mitigating factors I can think of. One is having some functional overlap, or at least plenty of the functions you're most likely to run out of. The other is that the more I patch, the more I know at what stage of patching I'm likely to reach for function X. If I'm past that point then it's fair game.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”