Doing more with less

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Doing more with less

Post by PhineasFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:31 am

Image

i use this as my compact danceable music all in one setup [requires a mixer of some sort] - there's enough sound sources to do a full hour of drums [thoroughly varied from 'song' to 'song'], basslines and leads.

it has enough sequencing to do a near infinite variety of triggering patterns and cv control over every aspect of the sound source controls, and the mults/resonator are the cherry on the cake to really make the maximum use of limited resources bt still provide variety from only 6U

its nothing like the 'traditional' vco/vcf/vca subtractive or the weird lpgs/complex osc/random sources of west coast - but as a light to be shone into the alternative options to solve a problem such as designing an instrument to perform an entire live set in a compact modular caseits hopefully a refreshing alternative!
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

User avatar
beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Doing more with less

Post by beatcleaver » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:31 am
Image

i use this as my compact danceable music all in one setup [requires a mixer of some sort] - there's enough sound sources to do a full hour of drums [thoroughly varied from 'song' to 'song'], basslines and leads.

it has enough sequencing to do a near infinite variety of triggering patterns and cv control over every aspect of the sound source controls, and the mults/resonator are the cherry on the cake to really make the maximum use of limited resources bt still provide variety from only 6U

its nothing like the 'traditional' vco/vcf/vca subtractive or the weird lpgs/complex osc/random sources of west coast - but as a light to be shone into the alternative options to solve a problem such as designing an instrument to perform an entire live set in a compact modular caseits hopefully a refreshing alternative!
Looks great, I love the trigger riot.

I can see how you're doing your drums but what provides the basses and leads? The Mutant Machine? Or can you process your drum sounds in some way to generate leads?

User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Doing more with less

Post by PhineasFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 pm

beatcleaver wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm
Looks great, I love the trigger riot.

I can see how you're doing your drums but what provides the basses and leads? The Mutant Machine? Or can you process your drum sounds in some way to generate leads?
- trig riot 1 sends drum sequencing trigs
- trig riot 2 sends trigs to z8k
- z8k sends cv's over distortion and decay and pitch to the mutant bassdrum [unlike bd09, the bassdrum is an 808 kick so much more like a vco - its capable of long boomy sounds, with control over pitch and decay you can get rhythmic, sustained and pitched notes]
- application of sidechain compression, eqing and gating etc in the mixer provides further rhythmic and patterned modulation to the 808kick bassline to make it very varied and quite unlike a drum.

the mutant machine will do damn near any sound you can imagine but it doesnt excel at basses - hence its my go to for leads - so between the drums, mutant kick and mutant machine the whole gamut of danceable techno/other electronic beat based music can be drawn from this beast...
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

User avatar
beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Doing more with less

Post by beatcleaver » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:30 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 pm
beatcleaver wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm
Looks great, I love the trigger riot.

I can see how you're doing your drums but what provides the basses and leads? The Mutant Machine? Or can you process your drum sounds in some way to generate leads?
- trig riot 1 sends drum sequencing trigs
- trig riot 2 sends trigs to z8k
- z8k sends cv's over distortion and decay and pitch to the mutant bassdrum [unlike bd09, the bassdrum is an 808 kick so much more like a vco - its capable of long boomy sounds, with control over pitch and decay you can get rhythmic, sustained and pitched notes]
- application of sidechain compression, eqing and gating etc in the mixer provides further rhythmic and patterned modulation to the 808kick bassline to make it very varied and quite unlike a drum.

the mutant machine will do damn near any sound you can imagine but it doesnt excel at basses - hence its my go to for leads - so between the drums, mutant kick and mutant machine the whole gamut of danceable techno/other electronic beat based music can be drawn from this beast...
neat, thanks for the info. That sounds like a great setup. I figured you might be doing bass lines with that kind of approach, I've done similar with a serge filter into eq & distorted. Enough control over the envelopes gives you kicks or basses or both. I've always been intruiged by the z8k, shed loads of modulation.

Do you have any live sets like this online?

User avatar
PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Doing more with less

Post by PhineasFreak » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:53 pm

beatcleaver wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:30 pm
neat, thanks for the info. That sounds like a great setup. I figured you might be doing bass lines with that kind of approach, I've done similar with a serge filter into eq & distorted. Enough control over the envelopes gives you kicks or basses or both. I've always been intruiged by the z8k, shed loads of modulation.

Do you have any live sets like this online?
i dont use an outboard mixing desk, but instead a second 6u with the setup below:

Image

i actually have a roland system1m instead of the erica modules rn because i only recently discovered that i cant quite keep an interesting and _continuous_ set going on my own for 1hr or more - so now the plan is to get tho two sample drums and run them through the res eq so as to give two 'tunes' possible - one from the drum case and one from the mixer case, and i plan to alternate back and forth between them like djing with two decks.

the entire rest of the mixing rig i already have and copes wonderfully with the drum case outputs - by the time the sounds have gone through the ladik eqs, mscl's and ladik gates, the resulting mix is easily as good as anything i'd get from a makie or similarquality 10channel sorta size mixer.

sadly since i only completed the drum case about 6monthsago and the mixer case as is without the erica black stuff only achieved current state even more recently, i'mm still learning my techno instrument and so have no recordings of entire set, especially not gonna have anything i'll be quite happy with until i get the erica modules so i can really shine - hence i'm just hoping and praying i can have the finished instriument built by the time i may have a gig in derry, NI late summer - that is with a fellow modular enthusiast so between us it should be a good set even if i havent a compelted instrument.
watch relevant spaces about live performances/gigs on this foum as well as elsewhere for more info!
https://thomaswulfe.bandcamp.com/
http://www.soundcloud.com/ylem-records/
http://www.soundcloud.com/best-of-ylem/
http://www.soundcloud.com/waxcide/
http://thomaswulfe.muffwiggler.com/
http://ljunggrenaudio.com/
http://waxcide.bandcamp.com/
Just remember what Phineas would say... "eurorack can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no eurorack". - bkbirge/

User avatar
DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2073
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 pm
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by DSC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 pm

PhineasFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:31 am
i use this as my compact danceable music all in one setup [requires a mixer of some sort] - there's enough sound sources to do a full hour of drums [thoroughly varied from 'song' to 'song'], basslines and leads.

it has enough sequencing to do a near infinite variety of triggering patterns and cv control over every aspect of the sound source controls, and the mults/resonator are the cherry on the cake to really make the maximum use of limited resources bt still provide variety from only 6U
Nice to see some love for the Trigger Riot! Having a 'full hour of drums IS very nice.
I too wanted the same thing but I liked the 'traditional' drum machine so I converted one that would work.
It combined with the TR is great for variety.
Don't forget to use the TR for 'mutes' too. I love using it 'subtractive'(ly).

Image

User avatar
Rob Kam
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Rob Kam » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 am

That system is the antithesis of doing more with less. It looks more complex than the instrument panel of a flight deck.

Digital Larry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 am
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Digital Larry » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 am

I have a few Eno CDs and generally like them, even the ambient ones.

For some reason his creative approach resonates with me. At least when I am recording, I don't do a bunch of takes, I can't stand it. I did some singing on a track I'm finishing up (don't usually sing) and listening to the isolated vocal track, oh it's pitchy and my voice cracks a few times. But I don't care. The song is weird enough anyway. I do correct or trim mistakes if overall a part was good but just one or two notes are really off.

Here's a track I did recently that combines some electric bass playing along with an Equation Composer and some Erica modules. The bass gives it some sort of a tonal/rhythmic reference and the synth stuff is all just weird noises.


User avatar
DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2073
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:54 pm
Location: Denver
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by DSC » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Rob Kam wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 am
That system is the antithesis of doing more with less. It looks more complex than the instrument panel of a flight deck.
Guess it comes from your own perspective :tu:
It actually IS doing more with less as it's my large portable, as compared to my studio set up. (The place I can try stuff out.) My large portable is my 'Hot Rod', but most of the modules in there are custom and modified to my specific tastes and I try, to only add on features I ACTUALLY need for the portable as a whole. I keep my custom modded modules to around 33HP in size so I can switch out three quickly changing out a row of 3U. Now I can pick from a couple of different 'super modules' and not spend forever swapping out a bunch of 4HP modules. By combining them I also can normal connections saving me valuable patching time too. That's been a huge time save. More info here: http://millionmachinemarch.com/2016/10/ ... k-modules/

Image

User avatar
Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Location: Down, down, down the dark ladder

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:43 pm

All you actually need is a mobile phone - anything else is extraneous. But personally, I would rather jump into a live volcano.

User avatar
Rob Kam
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Rob Kam » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Mechanical controls are greater than touchscreen.

User avatar
Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Location: Down, down, down the dark ladder

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Fog Door » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Mechanical controls are greater than touchscreen.
Not a surprising opinion, given you are reading interviews from 1981 ;)

User avatar
Rob Kam
Common Wiggler
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:16 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Doing more with less

Post by Rob Kam » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:16 am

This is what I'd call a small system

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”