Small system mixing

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Trilloquist
Learning to Wiggle

Small system mixing

Post by Trilloquist » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm planning to build a small rack to augment some standalone semi-modulars, currently just DFAM, Microbrute & assorted Volcas but eventually maybe Neutron, Crave, Softpop or Double Knot, not there yet. On the modular side I'm starting slow & small, all I want is Pam's New Workout, Plaits, Disting & plan to add VCAs, LFOs, LPGs & utilities as I go.
Question is, am I better off with my mixer in the rack to save desk space, or my mixer on the desk to save rack space?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Small system mixing

Post by cptnal » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Welcome, Trilloquist. :guinness:

I think only you can answer that question. A lot will come down to how you play. You certainly can't go wrong with mixers in the rack, so how about starting with a quad mixing VCA (Veils, Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad, etc...) and see how that works out? Even if you eventually decide on an external mixer it'll still be useful.

I started off mixing in the rack when I had plenty space, but moved to an external one when I decided I wanted to keep hp for other modules.

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Eventually you will need both. You have two different signal levels to deal with (Line for the microbrute and +/- 10 for the modules) and the easiest way to do that is mix your patch in a mix module then attenuate it for the desk mixer. Use the desk mixer to combine the outputs of your various boxes. The alternative, boosting the packaged box signal to match module levels, is an expensive headache.
Books and tutorials at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Trilloquist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trilloquist » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Thanks, I will definitely have to remember attenuators & other utilities when I start out.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”