Mad for wanting a single format only?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Mad for wanting a single format only?

Post by StrangeAttraction » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am

I've gotten to a point whereby I started to sell all my non-euro equipment. Am I going mad?
My biggest challenge when using many formats (guitar pedals vs line level equipment (rack equipment, 500 series vs euro vs computer) is three-fold:
- matching levels between different formats tires me and takes away time from being creative
- too many chargers and power adaptors (especially when playing out live) - last time I had like 6-7 charges and a USB hub because without it my audio interface (Audient ID22) kept switching itself off with BSP connected to my laptop
- lack of inter-modulation (e.g. guitar pedals vs euro for the most part, unless you have MIDI in but then...it's MIDI! Not exactly CV/Gate stuff).

For example: I had a Sherman Filterbank - and while I loved that thing for its crazy sounds - again, it needed its own 15V charger, and is line-level and you couldn't just plug a 1/8 inch euro cable for modulation, you had to use adapters, oh, and the inputs are on the back...so if you rack the unit, good luck seeing what goes where. See where I'm going with it? And that's just one piece of equipment. For each box, you're likely to need a charger (except some guitar pedals where you can daisy-chain them).

So, I've gotten to the point where my euro setup has grown to a satisfactory level (several interesting sound sorces, filters, bunch of FXs, etc.), and
I'm looking at all my unused gear I haven't yet sold like MS-20 Mini and Moog Minitaur and line-level equipment (compressors, series 500 DIYRE stuff I bought or soldered) and thinking of simplifying/unifying my setup.
Maybe I'm super lazy, but I'm ending up taking the path of least resistance and just end up not using them.
I've also ended up selling all my audio interfaces (one main one + one adat extension) and I'm selling my ES-3/6 combo because I'm tired with ADAT-ing all these gear, especially when playing live, again. Four different pieces of gear (three chargers!), and I'm thinking of getting the ES-9 instead when it's back in stock. That's one module only that uses an existing euro power supply, instead of four pieces of equipment, each with its own charger, and weird ass ADAT cables.
I guess this long rant is really asking a question...am I mad for not wanting to waste time inter-connecting different systems and trying to match the levels?
Are you mainly sticking to one format or you don't mind interconnecting things? And how often you do you end up re-shuffling/ re-connecting your setup, e.g. I could have a set-and-forget setup where all the final modular audio goes through my line-level equipment before it hits the soundcard...but then I might want to use this line-level equipment for mixing/mastering or just running some loops from my laptop...this means re-patching etc.

I feel I'm getting both lazy but also tired of all the different formats and I'm considering just sticking to one. With euro manufacturers being so prolific and creative, we have most of the interesting stuff in euro already. That includes typicall external gear stuff like compressors, limiters, distortions, reverbs/delays, even some eqs. There are even decent mixing solutions in euro with auxes and eqs if you're ready to splash out.

Thoughts? Am I ka-razy? Mad? Lazy? All of them?

What's your approach like, especially if you've been at this point?
Are you sticking to a single format or are you intermingling things like Gregor Mendel?

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Re: Mad for wanting a single format only?

Post by kxx303 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 am

No, no mad at all. It is just how you feel. It is ok. No worries.
Morphagene under heavy rain:
https://youtu.be/cT_oTXPrqX8

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 am

Considering all the options you have in Euro it sounds perfectly reasonable. :cloud:

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:00 am

I totally understand where you are coming from, I've only been into modular for less than a year but I've disposed of quite a lot of non-modular gear since I started, as it seemed to become obsolete overnight. Not that it wasn't good gear, it was, but I knew I would never choose to use it again over the modular. I think you are heading in the right direction, there is no point keeping unused gear lying about for a rainy day when deep down you know that day will never come, so just go with your instinct, which it sounds like you are doing anyway. I am keeping some non-modular stuff, some effects, some poly/monosynths and traditional drum machines, but some of those might go in the long run for the same reasons you are outlining.

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:19 am
I've gotten to a point whereby I started to sell all my non-euro equipment. Am I going mad?
My biggest challenge when using many formats (guitar pedals vs line level equipment (rack equipment, 500 series vs euro vs computer) is three-fold:
- matching levels between different formats tires me and takes away time from being creative
- too many chargers and power adaptors (especially when playing out live) - last time I had like 6-7 charges and a USB hub because without it my audio interface (Audient ID22) kept switching itself off with BSP connected to my laptop
- lack of inter-modulation (e.g. guitar pedals vs euro for the most part, unless you have MIDI in but then...it's MIDI! Not exactly CV/Gate stuff).

For example: I had a Sherman Filterbank - and while I loved that thing for its crazy sounds - again, it needed its own 15V charger, and is line-level and you couldn't just plug a 1/8 inch euro cable for modulation, you had to use adapters, oh, and the inputs are on the back...so if you rack the unit, good luck seeing what goes where. See where I'm going with it? And that's just one piece of equipment. For each box, you're likely to need a charger (except some guitar pedals where you can daisy-chain them).

So, I've gotten to the point where my euro setup has grown to a satisfactory level (several interesting sound sorces, filters, bunch of FXs, etc.), and
I'm looking at all my unused gear I haven't yet sold like MS-20 Mini and Moog Minitaur and line-level equipment (compressors, series 500 DIYRE stuff I bought or soldered) and thinking of simplifying/unifying my setup.
Maybe I'm super lazy, but I'm ending up taking the path of least resistance and just end up not using them.
I've also ended up selling all my audio interfaces (one main one + one adat extension) and I'm selling my ES-3/6 combo because I'm tired with ADAT-ing all these gear, especially when playing live, again. Four different pieces of gear (three chargers!), and I'm thinking of getting the ES-9 instead when it's back in stock. That's one module only that uses an existing euro power supply, instead of four pieces of equipment, each with its own charger, and weird ass ADAT cables.
I guess this long rant is really asking a question...am I mad for not wanting to waste time inter-connecting different systems and trying to match the levels?
Are you mainly sticking to one format or you don't mind interconnecting things? And how often you do you end up re-shuffling/ re-connecting your setup, e.g. I could have a set-and-forget setup where all the final modular audio goes through my line-level equipment before it hits the soundcard...but then I might want to use this line-level equipment for mixing/mastering or just running some loops from my laptop...this means re-patching etc.

I feel I'm getting both lazy but also tired of all the different formats and I'm considering just sticking to one. With euro manufacturers being so prolific and creative, we have most of the interesting stuff in euro already. That includes typicall external gear stuff like compressors, limiters, distortions, reverbs/delays, even some eqs. There are even decent mixing solutions in euro with auxes and eqs if you're ready to splash out.

Thoughts? Am I ka-razy? Mad? Lazy? All of them?

What's your approach like, especially if you've been at this point?
Are you sticking to a single format or are you intermingling things like Gregor Mendel?
You are coming to your senses! having all that stuff to go wrong is a pain to deal with and does take away from your creativity. Limiting yourself to one format will bring out your deeper creativity more than just reaching for the next new format or device. your stuck with what you have on your rack and it might not sound that good.. till you work the hell out of it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 am

Seems reasonable to me.

Aside from Euro I only have 3 pedals, and I occasionally daydream about having them converted to Euro format... maybe if I find myself really settling on those specific ones for a long period.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 pm

I have sold a few bits of gear in haste, and then regretted those sales later on.

Perhaps instead of selling gear that has fallen out of favour immediately, put it in a cupboard for a couple of months, and see see if you miss having it around?

I agree that having lots of power supplies is a pain in the butt, especially since there is no standard in voltage, polarity and physical plug. Worse still, a couple of my synths / fx units take an A/C voltage input.

USB power is a step in the right direction, as long as the power supply is beefy enough and doesn't introduce noise. I know it is an extreme example, but a Raspberry Pi zero board I use for an internet radio, simply will not run on anything less than a 2 amp USB source.....

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 pm

I am using multiple formats, and yes it is definitely a pain to set up power, and manage all the levels and interconnections. I can certainly see why a person would want to standardize on a single format. I've occasionally considered ditching everything except my 4U Serge stuff. But really, I love the variety. The challenge of making all of my disparate systems -- Serge, Euro, stompboxes -- work together is fun to me. I love the chaos of it all, and it fits my style.

I think I'm as much a tinkerer as I am a musician, so I doubt I'll ever standardize on a single format. For people who are more music-oriented, though, standardizing makes a whole lot of sense.

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Sell everything and get a Synthi :party:
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:55 pm

papz wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm
Sell everything and get a Synthi :party:
:sb: :sb: :sb:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:14 pm

luchog wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 pm
For people who are more music-oriented, though, standardizing makes a whole lot of sense.
Depends on the musician. Some tend to stay with one instrument, like a violin, or clarinet. Others, not so much.
Guitarists usually have more than one axe. Using different 'format' guitars -and amps- for their different workflow and results.

Many other similar musical equivalents, from drums to brass. And beyond.

I'm with you, but not so much for the patching together of different systems. The approach for a Serge is very different from an MU modular, and Euro is yet another. Having all three available for a session or performance, just as that guitarist with extra 'tools' sitting on the sidelines, waiting for and suited to only part of their repetoire, can be worth the effort and logistics required.

Plenty of musicians out there doing their thing with one format too. Choices. Aint it a great big wide world?

Stresslessness
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Stresslessness » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:39 am

A great way to make outboard equipment more flexible is a patchbay! They have a normalized path on the back that you can break from the front connections for mastering etc. That way you can gainstage less frequently by setting up your standard path from a mixer module.

This would mitigate a few of the problems you describe but there certainly is a point in removing unused equipment and limiting yourself. But that can mean so many things, like just using fewer modules in a patch.

I personally belive in the Unix philosophy in using the simplest and most direct tool for the job, rather than mixing it all together in a jumbled jack of all trades system. Sure you loose CV on the compressor but I don't really want that, I want a great sound only. The way I look at it I am simplifying my euro system so it can focus on the most fun parts that are its speciality.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:36 am

Obviously and as always there´s not one all encompassing truth. The justification of these
threads is to get inspired by approaches differing from oneself´s.
Me myself (which is what we all like to talk about :roll: ) am deeply into simplicity
and reduction as concept. Ok I do electronics as counterweight to being a classical
guitarist and am *not* interested in control of harmony/melody/rhthm.

If I can make interesting sounds/music on a no-input mixer (as always through practise,
experience and chance) and then add two envelope followers and two vcas a whole new
universe opens up :zombie:

On the other hand the wall of modular (and I had one a couple of years ago) sends me into
paralysis and shifting focus/"overload mode".

But then as KSS hinted some go like this!

EDIT: my brain merged this with the "doing more with less" thread, so slightly OT
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”