Background electric noise problem

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

anre
Learning to Wiggle

Background electric noise problem

Post by anre » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:36 am

Hi! I would like to address my question to anyone who had similar issue with the background noise like mine. You can hear it in my short video. I normalized audio, so it sounds exaggerated, and while I'm playing it is not audible under the sound of synths, however in quieter conditions the noise is pretty annoying. I suppose that in conditions of big sound on the stage this is really inappropriate and unacceptable, as well as for recording process. I wonder what can cause such type of noise and how I can prevent it. There are mother-32 and neutron in the case. When I tested the neutron in its native case it didn't produce such high pitched noise (I didn't test mother-32 though).

A little sad story:
There are other modules in the case, such as After Later Audio uBurst and Antumbra Atom (they produce more or less similar issue), all is mixed in Blue Latern Modules Sir MixALot. I bought the case pretty recently, it was assembled with its power supply. Once I started using it one sad thing has happened with it. There was one more module in it, however when I tested the neutron outside the case (took it out from case to set up with computer via usb) while the case was power on, a tip of the mini jack cable has touched the power bus in the case. Another tip was connected to a poor module powered in the case. It caused short circuit in the module and it died. I couldn't power it on anymore. So sad. Now you can see a piece of carton instead of it on the video.

I wonder if this accident could cause any damage in the filters of the power bus? or could it damage something in other modules (for example in MixALot) that normally filters out or reduces such noise? I can guess that the module received the entire strike and died, but it was patched to all other modules via its cv outputs, that's why I'm worried about them too.

It happened right after I started using the case and I can't compare how it sounded before and after. Although I have another power supply, but it doesn't sound clean as well with MixALot (relatively the same problem), however before the new case I used that power supply and didn't notice such noise.

I have no expertise in electronics to understand the nature of such noise and estimate possible consequences of the accident . Please help me if you have experience with something like this.

Thanks.

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Background electric noise problem

Post by djs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 pm

What happens if you unplug the power for all modules from the case except for the mixalot? I mean, plug the mixalot into the audio output with nothing running into it? Does the noise still occur? If you add the modules back in one at a time, does one particular one bring in the noise?

Also, what's the power capability of the case?
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

anre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anre » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:32 am

djs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 pm
What happens if you unplug the power for all modules from the case except for the mixalot? I mean, plug the mixalot into the audio output with nothing running into it? Does the noise still occur? If you add the modules back in one at a time, does one particular one bring in the noise?

Also, what's the power capability of the case?
I've done what you suggested to me. It turned out that I have 2 problems with noise: a parasite high pitched noise and noise produced when I'm touching the cables. I've made two videos for each. The first video contains my comments to let you undestand what I'm doing, on the second video I'm simpy touching the cable to cause the noise.

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 am

What happens if you move the mixalot to a different power bus board? Or change the inputs on the mixer to different channels for the mixalot and the mother 32? Can you recreate this noise without the mixer in the loop?
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 am

Watching...
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”