Reverse Patch Lookup Based On Owned Modules?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

charliechuck01
Learning to Wiggle

Reverse Patch Lookup Based On Owned Modules?

Post by charliechuck01 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:18 pm

As someone who cooks regularly I often find it useful to look up recipes based on what ingredients I have in the kitchen... I would love to know if such a thing exists for modular synth patches: where one can enter in which modules they own and get patches people have made with those combinations... Is there such a thing? I’ve tried searching for “similar racks” in Modular Grid but the results are really way off (just bc I have one disting I don’t need a thousand versions of the 50 distings rack for example)

dsant
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Reverse Patch Lookup Based On Owned Modules?

Post by dsant » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Not sure if such a thing exists, or at least I've never heard of or seen it. I've looked in the passed of a sort of patch library for Eurorack in general, similar to the one for the MS-20 (makes me want to buy one), but never had any luck. I think Modular Grid is in the best position to implement such a thing. They have (most) all the modules, a patch interface, and user profiles. Things to do would be to improve the patching and the sharing of patches, and a better search/filter for other racks. It would be awesome to just name a few modules and find racks/patches with at least/only those modules. Its a lot of work, but way more for someone starting from scratch.

A more crude implementation is for someone to just upload pictures/templates of their system, add tags for search, and draw in their patch. I like the first idea better.

I mentioned the MS-20 patch library, I think they've expanded to include the Neutron and a few other semi modulars. I'm shocked there isn't one for the Make Noise Shared System actually.

ProgRocket
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProgRocket » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:57 pm

I assume that most of the wigglers don't spend the tremendous extra time it takes to document the patches afterwards. What good would all those complex patches from others do you if youre missing two or more modules used in the patch. It would be soooo cool for simple patches and concepts though.

Did you try the 3-module-youtube series.

another idea might be to check out the vcv rack software. If i remember correctly you'll find hundrets of complex example patches with all the modules you'll ever want.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:57 pm

Easier to take a picture of my rack than use a mouse to point-and-click in a patch onto MG.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, Xaoc Belgrad, NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 pm

dsant has some great ideas for how what you want could be done.

I guess my first question would be why would you want to have something like that?

I understand the analogy to cooking, yes there are multiple ingredients listed and an order with parameters to get something tasty, but making modular music imo is not like cooking from a recipe.

That type of approach has some merit for sure. If your goal with modular synthesis is to use it as a means to explore what others have done, enjoy listening to music and get a hardware fix then right on! There are no wrong answers with such a huge creative palette. I have great respect for covers that expand and/or improve on originals.

But if your desire is to make music yourself by getting familiar with the concepts and "ingredients" then I think there is an inevitable desire to expand and create on your own. You already have some modular so going back to the basic concepts of additive, subtractive modulation etc... and then having ideas on how to expand might be a good way to go. This approach also comes with lots of " what if I added this module" moments.

I had a similar desire to have a guidebook at the beginning of exploring synthesis in general and still really enjoy standalone conventional synths, but the more I just set up the basic building blocks in modular- VCO.VCF,VCA,EG mods & effects, it became clear that building a patch that was in the same order or parameters with the same modules didn't give even near the satisfaction of patching in different ways or taking an established concept, like Krell and expanding upon it with modules at my disposal, changing order reducing or increasing modulation etc...

Modular to me means experimentation, creative planning and lots of contemplative tweaking. It means a tactile approach that in addition to being a physical instrument, has the potential to create more than any I've come across so far.

I would definitely agree with ProgRocket that VCV rack would be useful. It could really allow for experimentation on top of some great pre-made patches. That way you can add modules or get rid of ones that don't suit the general patches you enjoy without having to play the perpetual buy and sell game.

Second, have you checked out the book of bad ideas? There is enough in there to really get one thinking of new approaches to older concepts.

Finally, I really hope you don't take this as condescending or negative at all. It's just the type of question I've asked to a number of friends who got into modular who asked for similar approaches. Some ended up giving up to go back to DAWs and making the same type of music but better technically over time and others embraced modular and have really evolved as artists over time. Both are admirable, but I guess I'm biased towards modular at this point :hihi:

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 am

I've often found inspiration by rebuilding a preset from something else. If you have virtual analog or virtual modular soft synths you probably have hundreds of patches. The idea is to find an interesting one and see what makes it tick and (re)build it from what you have. It won't sound the same but you have a chance to tweak and hear

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:02 pm

It's more a design tool than a patch generator, but I often draw up tables of modules:
modChart.png
The labels across the top Start with voice name, then list the parts of a patch. For each voice I show the modules involved. Just copying them out like this suggests new combinations. It also shows any missing types of module-- for instance, maybe I should look for a dual oscillator to get a proper west coast voice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:05 pm

As mentioned above, for complex/interesting patches that I'd like to repeat in the future I take a photograph of the rack, sometimes will make notes in a text file for specific settings.
Doepfer has patch examples for their modules in their manuals, as does MakeNoise and Moog.
For some modules, you can find detailed supplements put together by fellow (lady?) wigglers; for instance Demonam has put out a few, I have the Maths supplement and the Rubicon supplement.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:53 pm

arthurdent wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:05 pm
the Rubicon supplement.
Did not know about this one. :hail:

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:07 pm

RUBICON-illustrated-supplement-V1.1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:13 pm

There is also this one; not exactly what the OP asked for but along the same lines:
The book of bad ideas V2.pdf
Somewhere here on Muff's there's a link for this but I can't find it right now.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”