Seeking a good way to mix MOTM (1/4”) & Euro (3.5mm) - maybe building custom case

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Overand
Common Wiggler

Seeking a good way to mix MOTM (1/4”) & Euro (3.5mm) - maybe building custom case

Post by Overand » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Well, this title says it all, I suppose? I’ve seen a little bit in this in the forum, but haven’t been able to find anything that fits. (Thought admittedly my search-fu for MuffWiggler isn’t great).

As you can see in my modulargrid links below, I have 37U of MOTM (currently in two 19” 10U racks), and about 82HP of euro. But, I’m likely to keep adding euro. I’m less likely to add MOTM, but I love my MOTM setup, and am reluctant to replace it with euro stuff - even Synthtech-made euro. (I may be flexible with stuff like envelope generators etc).

At this point, I think it’s time to build a custom case. If I forget about the mults, I have 35U of MOTM/5U, so I could fit that into 3 rows of 12U (about 21”/53cm across), or 2 rows of 18U (~31.5”/80cm), but I’m undecided there. (I’d been leaning toward 3 rows, but I’m less certain).

But then, what about my euro? And the mults? Well, it seems like doing something akin to the various (incompatible?!) 1U options companies are doing might make sense. Have all 12 or 18U across be covered with a patchbay-type thing, with 1/4” and 3.5mm jacks paired. Maybe even have indicator LEDs or incandescent bulbs for dedicated “gate” mults (or ones that track 0-10V? I figure there’s an impedance risk here, res probably stuff out there, right)?

And, I’ll need to figure out power. TipTop uZeus right now (which I think makes Eric at Metasonix cry a little every time I turn it on) and two of the MOTM power supplies - MOTM-900 And MOTM-950 if I recall. But yes, it will be time to update. And that leaves me with, what, 5 different power supply voltages required? +15,-15,+5 for MOTM and +12,-12,+5 for Euro, right? Eek. (I might see if the MOTM-900, +/-15 is enough to cover all my MOTM minus my one +5 module, and dial the 96 down to +/-12V, which is what I think he PowerOne linear in it shi0ped set to.)

I’ll probably start a thread in Euro, because I’m so out of date, but not until I’ve finished reading the Intelijel intro-to-Euro.
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: MOTM | Euro
WTB: MOTM Case, Euro VCAs, Sequencers, Env Followers & Interfaces.
Building the modular since ~2003

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Re: Seeking a good way to mix MOTM (1/4”) & Euro (3.5mm) - maybe building custom case

Post by sduck » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Take a look at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=225452
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Seeking a good way to mix MOTM (1/4”) & Euro (3.5mm) - maybe building custom case

Post by Graham Hinton » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am

Overand wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:52 pm
At this point, I think it’s time to build a custom case.
That can be a huge waste of time of time an money, the biggest problem being that most people change their minds after they commit, but before it is finished.

The common denominator of nearly all formats is a 19" rack, it is also the standard for the whole MI and studio industries and there is an enormous range of parts and accessories for it at very reasonable prices. Blank panels may be used to make mults and adapters so as not to waste space in powered frames. Outboard FX units can be included.

If you really want custom furniture, prototype it first in standard 19" cases and when you are sure the ergonomics work for you go to a studio furniture maker. You can always sell 19" cases and get good deals second hand whereas unwanted custom cases become a white elephant.

Overand
Common Wiggler

Post by Overand » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Graham Hinton wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am
The common denominator of nearly all formats is a 19" rack, it is also the standard for the whole MI and studio industries and there is an enormous range of parts and accessories for it at very reasonable prices. Blank panels may be used to make mults and adapters so as not to waste space in powered frames. Outboard FX units can be included.
I think my issue with 19" rack stuff is primarily the "wasted space" between racks. With my racks, there's 3.75" (95mm) of "wasted" space - enough for 2U (MOTM) of stuff. Photo of the racks pushed as close together as possible:
overand-motm-racks-spacing-sm.jpg
Even if I just screwed together two 19" rails (the kind a rack is made with, not the "MOTM Rack Rails") with no wood/support between them, it would still be 7/8" / 22mm. (So with a reasonable 1" thick support, it's another 1U of wasted space). Does that matter? I'm not sure - it really may not! I've gotten it into my head that it bothers me, though!

I'm also just not sure of the ergonomics I want - especially as my Eurorack section starts growing. I should probably take a look at some photo threads! I'm basically starting my physical setup/layout from scratch, so I'm not even sure what I'm doing for furniture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: MOTM | Euro
WTB: MOTM Case, Euro VCAs, Sequencers, Env Followers & Interfaces.
Building the modular since ~2003

levelhead3
Common Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:26 pm

You certainly don't have to use the standard MOTM 19" rack mounting rails. You can use wood rails (like some MU), custom make metal stock rails (dead easy for any fabrication shop), or buy these things:

https://synthcube.com/cart/synth-diy/pa ... rails-pair

I suspect some of the vector rail stuff would work too, but I don't really know that much about it:

https://www.metatronicmods.com/store/p1 ... rails.html

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”