CV to midi (not the other way around)

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

CV to midi (not the other way around)

Post by wavejumperr » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:44 am

I haven't seen much discussion about converting CV to midi here but if I've missed something, please link me. I'm not happy with how I'm sequencing my synths that only take midi in, and it dawned on me that all the sequencing I could ask for is in my modular setup. I know there are a few options for converting CV/Gate to midi, like that Kenton thing, but I would ideally be able to send four voices for my poly synths.

Should I just buy four smaller converters? That seems clumsy. I don't care if the converter is in the rack or its own device. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places. Any advice or links would be very helpful.
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

berenie
Common Wiggler

Re: CV to midi (not the other way around)

Post by berenie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:16 am

If you own a dc coupled audio interface and use ableton suite you could try cv tools.. or expert sleepers silent way in any daw i think. It might be wise to test this idea with software before spending money on modules. Thinking about it, there might be a reason why its not something commonly used. I owned a trigger/gate to midi module for a wile and liked it.. but doing all these ''cross platform/midi-cv,cv-midi''' stuff makes more sens in a setup with a daw. Therefor i like the idea of silentway and cv tools option more. Hope that makes sense. :razz:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:09 am

The advantage of hardware converters is that they are already scaled and ready to go.

There are two types of CV to MIDI converters out there. There are Note Converters that expect to see a CV and a Gate and are scaled to convert voltages to MIDI note values. These are like the Doepfer A-190 series (USB and DIN) and come in mono or Dual versions, or like the ADDAC Systems 222 with is a Quad channel version.

The second type is CV to MIDI CC controller data and these are like the Doepfer A-192-1 which does 16 CV ins, or the ADDAC Systems 221 which converts 9 channels.

There is quite a selection of them to see if you go to Modulargrid and select MIDI. The Dual Doepfer A-192-2 is only $190 and the ADDAC222 is $403 so those are about $100 a channel.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

wavejumperr
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejumperr » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:50 pm

this has been very helpful. thank you!
wigglers are a modular synth's way of making another modular synth

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 pm

wavejumperr wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:44 am
Should I just buy four smaller converters? That seems clumsy. I don't care if the converter is in the rack or its own device. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places. Any advice or links would be very helpful.
It's not often that I'll recommend a Roland product, but the Boss MPD-4 does what you are asking for. Just connect the gates from your sequencer to the extra pad input jacks.

Thorsday
Common Wiggler

Post by Thorsday » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:19 pm

Kenton Pro CV to MIDI came out a few years back. Their stuff is usually solid.

loopt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by loopt » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:24 pm

This could be an option.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:40 am

I too found current offerings limited so I altered a Bastl 60 knobs and incorporated 60 jacks which also can be used as 60 attenuverters too!
Kinda my Swiss army knife of CV -> MIDI. Not sure if you are DIY equipped, but it is a great open source project that can be modified.
More info here:
http://millionmachinemarch.com/2018/04/ ... -60-jacks/

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:20 pm

DSC wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:40 am
I too found current offerings limited so I altered a Bastl 60 knobs and incorporated 60 jacks which also can be used as 60 attenuverters too!
Kinda my Swiss army knife of CV -> MIDI. Not sure if you are DIY equipped, but it is a great open source project that can be modified.
More info here:
http://millionmachinemarch.com/2018/04/ ... -60-jacks/
Oh my.

Steverido
Common Wiggler

Post by Steverido » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:40 am

What about vpme.de trig31?

https://vpme.de/trig31/

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 am

Expert Sleepers General CV - programmable mode - with the Midi Expander will do exactly this

It will also play the internal General Midi synth engine at the same time, if you want it to - changing programs is a little hit and miss in this case though

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”