How do you arrange your modules?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

How do you arrange your modules?

Grouping module types (block of OSCs, block of utilities etc)
27%
Building separate voices (blocks of OSC, VCA, VCF)
14%
Frequency of access (keep close what you need often)
14%
Wherever there is space in the rack
5%
Randomly
3%
By vendor
5%
Constantly rebuilding
6%
Once built, I tend to keep it that way for while
11%
Once built, I tend to keep it that way for a long time
7%
Other (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 224

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Re: How do you arrange your modules?

Post by Transistor » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:39 pm

VCA’s and filters grouped in the center, sequencers underneath in middle, then oscillators circling around on both sides hugging the VCAs and filters. Utilities scattered across, no set sector for those.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:54 pm

My case has 5 rows of 5U, with the top three rows vertical (top row is at eye level), and the bottom two rows at a 45-degree angle. In general:

* Oscillators: Top 2 rows, left side. (In the top row, a MIDI interface is at the far left, and an O'Tool module in the center.)
* Assorted control sources (LFOs, noise, S&H): 3rd row, left side
* Effects-type modules: Top row, right side
* Filters: Second row, right side
* VCAs and mixers: Third row, right side
* Sequencer (Q119) and accessories: Fourth row, left side. I'm reserving room on the right side for another sequencer, something like an R24 or a Moon 569.

Mounting rails are wood, because I have a mixture of MOTM and MU. I haven't installed the mounting rails on the fifth row yet, because I haven't needed the room. Also, beneath the third row, there is a roughly CP-sized row where I'm putting in small, simple things like mults and manual gate switches.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:59 pm

I currently have easily twice the modules than actual rack space, and I've rearranged a lot in and out of my main rack into my two small portables, which have usually been set up for specific ideas at the time, each on its own.
In the main rack, however, there is a basic system layout I like to keep: signal flow as in a classic voice setup top to bottom, left side. Right side, top to bottom: sequencing, clocks, modulators and EGs, bottom is for mixing, fx, controls and oddities.
But: as there isn't enough space in the rack as it is now, I have two more racks planned. A mid sized side rack as a bigger but still portable option, and two rows angled as a sub rack to my main, where I will house controls and melodic sequencing, and which I won't usually take out to other places anyway.

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Most of the time, I go for blocks of voices so. OSC-Filter-vca or Percussion - saturation - delay. Modulation is the one I tend to keep on the bottom row or rightmost of the skiff because that's where I work mostly with my fingers.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 am

Envelopes on the right mostly, if their design offers best access to knobs thusly. In deference to the typical patch point locations to the left of knobs on the right side of the module, EG's being on the right contains patch cables to this side of the knobs. The sad part is, were I hunting and pecking the white notes on a keyboard, hoping to make adjustments to an envelope, I would be better off having them to the left side of a case while my right hand looks for the "right" note. Mostly, all decisions are in relation to the cable clutter module (and modular) layouts demand. typically VCO's are stationed in relation to quantizers, CV bus modules, sequencers/awitches and/or sub units feeding from a single source. Sequencers and more elaborate modules are placed on top or in the "shelter" of modules with more knobs and less cable clutter above them. I tend to group simple, cable intensive modules together if they have a relationship and so that cable clutter is confined to areas less impacted by knob blocking obstacles. EG's on the right offers good opportunity to tweak the main ingredients during sequencing.
pity im too lazy to get up and reach over to those knobs!
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

Martebar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Martebar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 am

I've looked at how modules are arranged in so premade systems like the Make Noise or the Random*Source Mantra for inspiration.
So usually it's something like MIDI/sequencer/oscillators/mixer/modulation/filters/VCAs

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Man, great subject to which there is no real answer, save for that one that suits you!

I've been a couple years it this now and have built a couple cases as my system grew. The last case I had built was 26U x 104hp; I tried grouping by module, then I grouped them in "voices" with groups of modules clustered together that would generally make a voice, osc, VCA, Filter, etc. so I had a couple of those groups going. I tried putting all things of similar function together in groups, left to right, etc. and some ways worked better than others, but nothing really hit it off for me. I kept buying long patch cables to reach between modules, and needed more of them as I randomly installed modules towards the end (full).

I was sitting there one day looking at everything; I can operate it sitting on a 22-24" stool and reach everything, but patch cords were going everywhere in the chaotic scheme that I had going. I had ordered a Plaits and had to move a couple things to get it in the rack, but I started thinking about the whole idea of module arrangement again. Well I moved those couple of modules, then a couple more, then I got an idea and tore the whole system apart and took a couple of days to put it back together, thinking along the way.

The 26U rack is just short of 2" wide and 3+ feet tall on the table top. I also have a 6U 104 case and a 3U 104 MN case. I made the 3U case a controller case, with a set of Doepfer wheels, Cells, Tetrapad, Tete, Terapad, and Planar2, and it sets right in front of the bottom row in the tall case. To the left side I filled the 6U case with effects, a stereo mixer, Chao, a Mother 32, and utilities.

After the MN case is the tall rack, bottom row is Tip Top Circadian R, Trigger Riot, Z8000, and Quantzer. The row above that is timing; MIDI in, Plog, time Runner, CMOS Party, Pulsar, Rotating Clock Multiplier, Burst, Ratchet, switch, quantizer, and Wogglebug. the row abover that I placed drums, cymbals, and envelopes. The row above that I have Mixups, DUKPLS, LPG, Maths, and a SciFi module. The row above that I put LFOs, Buffmults, Mults, and Vector Space. The row above that contains oscillators and filters with a Mother 32.

I found myself reaching for a long patch cord much less; I used up my 6" ones pretty fast and found myself running out of 2 footers that I hadn't really used that much. Basically all my control is right in front of me with the patching/'work flow moving bottom to top from my seat, with utilities and effects being sent to my left, which is pretty much the only place I need the long patch cords now. I'm thinking that just by the lengths of patch cords I am using now my system is set up more efficiently, and work flow is comfortable for me so long as I don't have to reach up too much, my shoulders are shot.

This setup works great for me. :guinness:

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Reading thru all the answers and reflecting on them, great insights and food for thought. Thanks to all of you, again! I´m currently rebuilding a little, well, tbh, more like expanding and shuffling things around. While doing so, I feel an itch to get just one more rack :lol:

I moved the drum section to my rackbrute 6U, sitting a bit on the side. I´m still undecided whether that should be just sound generation (leaving some space to build a BD out of single modules later) or an all-in build with less sound options, but mixer, fx and sequencer included. Chances are, I will build both and see what works better.

The new Mantis as a central piece has the lower row filled with controllers (tete, planar, VB) and the upper one with mixer and sequencer, sort of a central control station. Lots of CV, so I can remote control the other modules and don´t need to reach out for them as often. Let´s see how that works, as I didn´t have many controllers so far and did everything on the modules directly.

Two 19" 6U racks are holding the voice stuff, like OSC, VCF, EG etc. Can´t reach them from the central position, so the controls I use most often are connected to the central controls.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:32 pm

I would say ergonomics/knob and jack placement mainly.

I.e. I always keep my Braids in the top right corner because of the selector encoder, same with my E352 in the bottom left.
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 pm

i use knurlies to make it easier to regroup modules because they are forever a changin. i wish my hardware modular was more like vcv rack where you can use your finger to rearrange modules :hihi:

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:27 pm

solipsvs wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:23 pm
i use knurlies to make it easier to regroup modules because they are forever a changin. i wish my hardware modular was more like vcv rack where you can use your finger to rearrange modules :hihi:
you rearrange modules without your fingers⁉️

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 pm

i use more than one finger at a time. its a pity they wont just move when i point

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 am

I usually group by voices - 4 basic voices in my system, each sequenced separately. Then I put clocks and modulation in the middle. Modules that I know I’ll patch together (like a drum module and a trigger sequencer) I put next to each other.

thelowerrhythm
Common Wiggler

Post by thelowerrhythm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:12 am

I go for blocks of similar functions, though I usually spread utilities out where they'll be most needed (ie. attenuverters near LFOs, etc.). I kind of hate how unadventurous this is, though. About six months back I started arranging my system in a tall, narrow tower that was set up linearly, but from top to bottom, like a waterfall. Would like to escape that and work with a more interesting, complex methodology, but holy :sstorm: does it take way too much time to constantly rearrange things.
:party:

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:36 am

im starting to just use long cables and rack plumber if i need to go from one case to the other

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”