Modular and external gear: Your success stories

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Modular and external gear: Your success stories

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 am

A couple of things happened lately to get me thinking about modular and external gear, beyond using it as a glorified pedal board...

First is the excellent Lyra-8. It has CV and audio ins to influence (not exactly control) how it behaves. And its output, which can be high in er... harmonic content (noise) lends itself to filters, resonators, FFBs, etc... I've been having particular fun with the 4MS SMR* which, in addition to its CV control, gives you CV back out from its envelope followers. (You could send this back in to the Lyra-8. Feedback upon feedback! :woah: )

Another is to play chords from a polysynth into the [granular processor of your choice], then modulate that to get unexpected harmonies and patterns out. I'd been in a quandary about how to integrate my keyboard synths, but I see mileage in this technique.

So the question is what modules, or type of modules, or techniques have you had the most success with interfacing external gear? Please say why (just naming a module will earn you a :foul: ) and audio/video examples would be most welcome. I'd provide one myself to illustrate the ones I mentioned but I spent most of last night troubleshooting a crackle in my audio path :bang:

:cloud:

*Format-specific, soz.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Re: Modular and external gear: Your success stories

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 am

For the bread and butter business of getting external signals into the rack and boack out again, after some messing about, I settled on a Ladik A-560 input module and a Befaco Output V3.

The criteria were

Nice sturdy 1/4 inch jacks - had a 4ms module which had intermittent 3.5mm jacks out of the box. It feels like external cables may sometimes be a bit heavier than patch cables, so it's nice to not have to worry about damage or finding more adaptors.

Balanced out - I'm often lazy and mixing in the case, but would like the final recording to be reasonably nice-sounding. Beiing able to run balanced outs into my little Focusrite sound card avoids any fretting about small stuff.

Headphone out - not an issue for a lot of people, but I like my little techno-centric rack to be portable and self-contained so I can carry it to another room to wiggle. Better if the headphone amp can drive both 70 Ohm HD-25 and 300 Ohm HD-650 without sounding either noisy on the 25s or insipid and lacking detail on the 650s.

Compact - in a small case, where I can't always spare a bunch of VCAs to do the heavy I/O lifting, if I'm going to dedicate some HP to this, it'd be nice not to have to sacrifice other mods too much.

So far so good. The Ladik is (as you'd expect) good value, and frankly, built like a fucking tank, It's relatively deep, so in a small case, I had to pay attention to placement. It has usable little level meters and nice solid gain knobs. It's straightforward and seems to be be pretty clean-sounding. It allowed me to get external stuff into the rack without effort. So far, I have mostl just fed the Digitakt and TD-3 in, and dropped them into the mix/applied light reverb etc.. No problems to report.

The Befaco Output V3 is a module I bought pre-built. It's nice and compact and seems clean and usable. It has a very pleasing big red main output knob which is satisfyingly easy to locate. It does have a secret superpower, which is the ability to switch a cue mix to the headphone out, which is a really nice extra feature in such a small mod, and has def. performance potential.

Essentially, they seem like exactly what I wanted. I have the input module on the extreme left hand end of the top row, and the output on the extreme right, to preserve some natural sense of signal flow. Each module is 4HP, so the impact on space is minimal. I haven't noticed much noise, smearing or rolloff yet- though I've yet to have enough quiet time with them to do any level of critical listening.

I'll probably have a go at hooking the Befaco's balanced outs to the ins of my electrostatic energizer this weekend, see how the rack sounds through my Stax, as my partner won't be around to be annoyed by leaking tinny drum sounds.

I haven't posted samples of audio as all I have are a couple of really basic tests of end-to-end I/O- a minute of extremely sloppy modular jungle (sloppy because I chopped the breaks up in a slapdash manner in a hurry) and a very simple generic acid "shakeout" piece. I'm somewhat shy about stuff like that as they're not really polished, more proofs of concept. I was really preparing the rack for the Juno 106 returning with new voice chips- though Covid 19 has apparently buggered up the supply chain.

Anyway, that's what I chose to get sound in and out of the rack and why. I tried other things for both in and out before these (Intellijel Outs, and 4ms Listen IO), and these seem to do the job in a more satisfactory manner. The 4ms module seemed poorly made, and I never was convinced by the headphone amp on the Intellijel. For a small, largely self-sufficient rack, this setup seems to scratch the immediate I/O itch quite well- I could conceivably use the rack as a MIDI-controlled effects processor if needed now too, as per your question.

That's my experience, from my small system, anyway. It's more "getting stuff in and out" than "holy shit my Juno sounds amazing through Rings", I'm afraid.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am

cptnal wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:37 am
First is the excellent Lyra-8. It has CV and audio ins to influence (not exactly control) how it behaves. And its output, which can be high in er... harmonic content (noise) lends itself to filters, resonators, FFBs, etc...
I will second that! LPGs are another fun thing to run it through.

The delay responds well to external LFOs, much more straightforward than using its internal Hyper LFO. And the "Hold" input responds well to gates, so that can be a way impose some rhythm on it. I sort of managed to sequence the pitch CV with an SQ-1 but it was pretty irrational, non-Euclidean, eldritch and squamous :help: :cthulhu:

On a recent recording I ran the Lyra-8 through an A-196 PLL, and Maths as an envelope follower, put them together with a VCA and lowpass filter, and used Clouds to octave shift it up and turn it into sort of a steampipe lead voice:

(Incidently the "piano" loop on that was E352 captured by Mimeophon and kept on hold while I monkeyed with the knobs a bit. I trained a noise reduction plugin on that, and then applied it to the full mix to sort of "ghost" that part.)
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:51 am

starthief wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am
cptnal wrote:
First is the excellent Lyra-8. It has CV and audio ins to influence (not exactly control) how it behaves. And its output, which can be high in er... harmonic content (noise) lends itself to filters, resonators, FFBs, etc...

The delay responds well to external LFOs, much more straightforward than using its internal Hyper LFO. And the "Hold" input responds well to gates, so that can be a way impose some rhythm on it. I sort of managed to sequence the pitch CV with an SQ-1 but it was pretty irrational, non-Euclidean, eldritch and squamous :help: :cthulhu:

On a recent recording I ran the Lyra-8 through an A-196 PLL, and Maths as an envelope follower, put them together with a VCA and lowpass filter, and used Clouds to octave shift it up and turn it into sort of a steampipe lead voice:

(Incidently the "piano" loop on that was E352 captured by Mimeophon and kept on hold while I monkeyed with the knobs a bit. I trained a noise reduction plugin on that, and then applied it to the full mix to sort of "ghost" that part.)
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. :tu:

I'll have to listen to this at home to do it justice, but meanwhile kudos for the use of the word "eldritch".

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Right now I've got my STS Animate panel and a case of R*S EuroSerge up and working on a generative patch; and for funsies I patched in a Metasonix TM-1 Waveshaper/Ringmod stompbox to give it some extra colour. Patching to the stombox is simple, as it's set up much like a module with CV inputs. Just using some 3.5mm to 1/4" patch cables to get CV in and out; and an AI Synthesis AI006 Stomp Box Adapter module in my EuroSerge case for sound (which I built myself from their DIY kit). Oh, and a Low Gain Electronics UTL-1 format jumbler for the banana-to-3.5mm conversion between the Euro and STS Serge.

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:59 pm

A confirmed WX5 user, I also have a VL70 in my MIDI rack. I often set it up in parallel with my euro system so I can use any of the splendid voices accompanied by the computer or in jams with my fellow performers.
My modular is too new for me to have tried everything yet, so your note sparked my first experiments passing the VL70 through various modules. So far clouds is a winner, closely followed by good ole ring modulation. Unsurprisingly, the VL70 voices that I don't usually care for (like stonehHng and whizzer) work the best as fodder for the modular.

In the not too distant past when I restored an eMu modular, I was unable to find a replacement for the reverb tank. So I modded the panel to connect to a Alesis effects unit instead. That was a lot more fun than cheesy springs. (That studio included an Orban spring reverb-- 8 acid etched springs to remove the cheese.)
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. Food for thought. First off I'm going to bring my A-196 into the main rack to give that a go. :mrgreen:

I never found much inspiring in patching out to pedals. Probably because the range I have is pretty vanilla, or overlaps with functions I already have in the rack. The boutique ones I've seen that look interesting also look a bit hands-on for my tastes - I'm a pretty passive wiggler. But that avenue remains open for future exploration...

And some deftly-used reverb in that track, starthief. There's space, but it's not in-your-face. It presents rather than engulfs. Nice work. :yay:

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sparood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:57 pm

Great topic idea!

nvm
Last edited by sparood on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:35 am

The op question seems odd to me as everything runs through everything around here. The Voyager and Moogerfoogers are an integral part of the modular. The Hammond runs through them for PWM and square wave VCA action. The guitars are routinely run through the frequency shifter and LPG as filter with sequencers controlling rhythmic gate.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 am

cptnal wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:45 pm
And some deftly-used reverb in that track, starthief. There's space, but it's not in-your-face. It presents rather than engulfs. Nice work. :yay:

Reverb on the "tape loop" part was Mimeophon's Halo control. Where the "clean" Lyra-8 comes through, it's going through Catalinbread Adineko and Mosky Spring Reverb pedals in a feedback loop, but not mixed in too much, and a touch of Valhalla Room.

And I guess that brings up pedals. I have Adineko & the Mosky spring in a chain, and while I wouldn't call them essential, they've got a lot of vibe and were cheap -- a partial refund for the Adineko's non-functional feedback knob brought it down to about half price, and the spring reverb was about $15. They work well with the A-138m and maybe a filter. Doesn't sound quite like the Mimeophon or any of the plugins I've tried.

The main pedal that has really proven itself to me is Red Panda Tensor. If it came in a Euro version and I had the HP for it, or in a good plugin version, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. It's a brilliant, almost time-traveling pseudo-looper/pitch-shift pedal. It has this trick where it can adopt its buffer length to musically fit with the input, and feels sometimes like jamming with another musician.

I tried Particle, had fun with it for a few days, but quickly found I preferred Clouds.

I haven't checked out Mood or Blooper, nor really looked at Count to Five too closely, because they would probably tempt me if I did :hihi:
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am

starthief wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 am
cptnal wrote:

Reverb on the "tape loop" part was Mimeophon's Halo control. Where the "clean" Lyra-8 comes through, it's going through Catalinbread Adineko and Mosky Spring Reverb pedals in a feedback loop, but not mixed in too much, and a touch of Valhalla Room.

And I guess that brings up pedals. I have Adineko & the Mosky spring in a chain, and while I wouldn't call them essential, they've got a lot of vibe and were cheap -- a partial refund for the Adineko's non-functional feedback knob brought it down to about half price, and the spring reverb was about $15. They work well with the A-138m and maybe a filter. Doesn't sound quite like the Mimeophon or any of the plugins I've tried.

The main pedal that has really proven itself to me is Red Panda Tensor. If it came in a Euro version and I had the HP for it, or in a good plugin version, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. It's a brilliant, almost time-traveling pseudo-looper/pitch-shift pedal. It has this trick where it can adopt its buffer length to musically fit with the input, and feels sometimes like jamming with another musician.

I tried Particle, had fun with it for a few days, but quickly found I preferred Clouds.

I haven't checked out Mood or Blooper, nor really looked at Count to Five too closely, because they would probably tempt me if I did :hihi:
Yeah, the Chase Bliss stuff looks interesting. I'll check out those reverbs too, thanks. I got a Hall of Fame 2 recently, which is really good, but I think needs to be edited with the computer interface to get the most out of it. And computer interfaces, well... y'know. :roll:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:01 pm

cptnal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am
starthief wrote:
cptnal wrote:

Yeah, the Chase Bliss stuff looks interesting. I'll check out those reverbs too, thanks. I got a Hall of Fame 2 recently, which is really good, but I think needs to be edited with the computer interface to get the most out of it. And computer interfaces, well... y'know. :roll:
Actually, you gave me an idea. Here's the new effects send I'm testing. :mrgreen:
WP_20200311_18_46_11_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Here's a pic of my current patch, using the Metasonix TM-1 stompbox. Unfortunately, I'm not set up to record sound yet, but the TM-1 adds a really interesting colour.
serge rig small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:09 pm

I use a Mutable Instruments Ears and couple of ALM S.B.G. modules for interfacing with other gear. A Low Gain Electronics module with a ground plug allows me to use eurorack CV to modulate my Ciat-Lonbarde pieces and vice versa.

I usually use the two S.B.G.'s for separate effects loops though my pedal board. I don't use MIDI so when I record it's typically one take with minimal overdubbing.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Boodaleechees wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:09 pm
I use a Mutable Instruments Ears and couple of ALM S.B.G. modules for interfacing with other gear. A Low Gain Electronics module with a ground plug allows me to use eurorack CV to modulate my Ciat-Lonbarde pieces and vice versa.

I usually use the two S.B.G.'s for separate effects loops though my pedal board. I don't use MIDI so when I record it's typically one take with minimal overdubbing.
Any pedals you use the CV capabilities of the S.B.G for? I've had one since forever and never used that feature.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 pm

cptnal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:01 pm
Actually, you gave me an idea. Here's the new effects send I'm testing. :mrgreen:
Nice! I kind of miss my old Realistic reverb and occasionally pondered getting one... especially if there's a clock rate mod to make it go way too slow and noisy :mrgreen:

Audio Damage has a plugin emulation of it that I like, but I expect it's not really the same.

Boodaleechees
Common Wiggler

Post by Boodaleechees » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:54 pm

cptnal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Any pedals you use the CV capabilities of the S.B.G for? I've had one since forever and never used that feature.

Nope, never used it either.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:14 am

I love modulating external gear with the modular, but those techniques don`t differ from those with in-rack gear. I mostly look for gear with CV or EXP inputs, or tap pedals inputs which can give great results with gates.

- the MAM RS3 resonator is a great unit for going stereo, with CV over LFO speed
- the Electrix FilterFactory sounds awesome as FM operator with self oscillation and feedback patched through the A-138m matrix mixer
- old Lexicon FX units like the MPX-1 or MPX550 can be bypassed and tapped by gate signals. The funny thing is, the units can be set to mute the input when bypassed, so it can stay in audio path without causing noise or phase effects in bypass mode.
- my best "lucky shot" was the Alesis Quadraverb II - its "Advance" input allows to cycle through a set of presets. In modular speech, this is like a sequential switch for effect settings, and the Quadraverb has up to eight effects simultaneously... :eek:

This is so cool given the fact how cheap these boxes are nowadays.

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm

I love this sort of thing, and try to make my full set up as 'modular' and inter-connectable as possible.
Mainly using a small eurorack, a Grandmother, a DSI Tempest and Poly Evolver.
-The DSI synths both have 2x CV inputs with assignable mod destinations, so using a 1/8 to 1/4 inch cable is necessary.
-The Tempest especially is AMAZING with eurorack! You can use it's individual outputs with noise bursts to trigger or clock euro modules. So, in an extreme example, I have 2x Tempest audio going through a stereo dipole and a mimeophon, which are being modulated and clocked by Tides V2 and individually triggered with the Tempest extra outputs.. Additionally, you could use the tempest 'audio-triggers' to clock a module, then feed the CV from the module into the tempest to have external modulation. Trigger a Zadar with Tempest and send the envelope to tempests filters, osc, mods... (:
-Setting up the modular as an "aux effect" is pretty fun too with the right mixer. You need at least an external input/gain boost for the input; with most mixers you can send modular audio without need of an 'out module.' This way you can boost your synth or drum machine levels/mixes and then send them through (euro) filters, granularizers, effects and so forth..
-Maybe not in the same category but cassettes always go with other instruments and equipment amazingly. I recently did a show where I had a hand held Sony cassette recorder (with some morphagene vocal drones) which I sent to the moog Grandmothers 'Noise Input' (also works with EXT IN) - Turning up the recorder distorts beautifully, layered with fifths saw waves and heavily driven through the moog filter and a strymon timeline was a wonderful sonic combination.
-Morphagene and four track cassette recorders are a very good pair. 1) Make a nice morphagene loop 2) record to four track 3) Change tape speed of recording, 4) work magic to put the recording back into the morphagene (mixer/ext inputs, computer interface etc) 5) mangle the loop in morphagene more, re-pitch and stretch, with extra tape hiss and artifacts and flavors. You can keep doing this for some "disintegration loops."

Just a few ideas and experiments that are particularly fun!
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, art, photography, design, words

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:12 am

vnsc wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Setting up the modular as an "aux effect"
Lots of good ideas, but this one is particularly interesting. Always think outside the box. 8-)

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 pm

starthief wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:41 am
cptnal wrote:

Was this an 'incidental' patch or mapped out ahead of time? Amazing results either way. Great recording too.

Sometimes I'll have an intelligent patch thought out and it is not so moving. Then I slow it down by 70% and it is elegant.

I don't need a Lyra or a Grenadier. But each time I hear one I reconsider.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 am

MindMachine wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 pm
Was this an 'incidental' patch or mapped out ahead of time?
I'd only planned the PLL/envelope follower part in advance, because I suspected the tracking could be pretty good given the Lyra's timbre. Once I had that, I felt like I wanted to differentiate it a bit more from the raw sound, and figured I would try Clouds' pitch shift and reverb to make it sort of a shimmer reverb, and got something different and better instead.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 am

Well, for those who don't mind stuff outside of their rack I'm a particular fan of these two pieces...

Waldorf 2-Pole Filter
It's pretty cheap. It has CV inputs for gate, cutoff and envelope sidechain. It has a decent onboard envelope (with three trigger methods including an envelope follower) and a free-running LFO plus a really nice sounding drive/distortion, a rectifier (which I don't really use) and another flavour of distortion from driving the input. Plus it sounds really, really nice IMO. I believe they do a module version but it takes up a load of HP compared to similar modules which is probably why it doesn't get much love.

Sherman Filterbank
It's basically a beast. Two filters that can be run in series or parallel (or any combination of the two) in loads of different modes that can all be blended seamlessly. On board LFO and ADSR envelope with various triggering options. Really nice gnarly distortion. Audio modulation. Additional AR envelope and basic VCA. Numerous CV inputs and a CV output for the ADSR envelope (and LFO in some versions though unfortunately not in mine). A constant source of happy accidents and (sometimes) a certain amount of frustration. Can be difficult to tame but sounds like nothing else when you hit the sweet spot!

This video is not very impressive but I'm posting it anyway! :mrgreen: It's the first patch I did with my first three modules just 'playing' the 2-Pole and Sherman, no other sound sources.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:10 pm

cptnal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:01 pm
cptnal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am
starthief wrote:
cptnal wrote:

I use the same Realistic Electronic Reverb quite a bit in my Euro rig. I use three Malekko SND/RTN modules with various pedals within the patch, not just as effects after the patch. The Realistic is incredible as a live Wiggler playing the feedback and generating huge real time paced flanges. Excellent choice!

I use a Red Panda Particle V1 on one SND/RTN exclusively. It can make a simple sine wave into a world of sound before any additional processing. I swap a lot of other pedals out of the 3x SND/RTN but these tow see the most action.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:56 am

muleskinner wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 am
Well, for those who don't mind stuff outside of their rack I'm a particular fan of these two pieces...

Waldorf 2-Pole Filter
It's pretty cheap. It has CV inputs for gate, cutoff and envelope sidechain. It has a decent onboard envelope (with three trigger methods including an envelope follower) and a free-running LFO plus a really nice sounding drive/distortion, a rectifier (which I don't really use) and another flavour of distortion from driving the input. Plus it sounds really, really nice IMO. I believe they do a module version but it takes up a load of HP compared to similar modules which is probably why it doesn't get much love.

Sherman Filterbank
It's basically a beast. Two filters that can be run in series or parallel (or any combination of the two) in loads of different modes that can all be blended seamlessly. On board LFO and ADSR envelope with various triggering options. Really nice gnarly distortion. Audio modulation. Additional AR envelope and basic VCA. Numerous CV inputs and a CV output for the ADSR envelope (and LFO in some versions though unfortunately not in mine). A constant source of happy accidents and (sometimes) a certain amount of frustration. Can be difficult to tame but sounds like nothing else when you hit the sweet spot!

This video is not very impressive but I'm posting it anyway! :mrgreen: It's the first patch I did with my first three modules just 'playing' the 2-Pole and Sherman, no other sound sources.

What an intriguing device. Looks like it would pair well with the Lyra-8... :hmm:

Also, mention of the Red Panda thing reminds me of the (less featured) granular delay in the Pico DSP. I've never found a place for it as an end-of-chain effect. Maybe what it needs is to be brought forward. (Also :hmm: )

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”