Which module controls do you tweak the most?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Which module controls do you tweak the most?

Post by Pelsea » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Which module controls do you tweak the most during performance?

I saw in the module layout thread that many prefer an arrangement that makes is easy to reach the most used controls.
Which controls are those?
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Which module controls do you tweak the most?

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but it depends on the patch which controls are most used. Filter in subtractive. Freq in FM. And so on.

But since you're relating it to which controls are intentionally given higher ergonomic weight, Performance controls first, with mixers and switches included, as that's what CV is for, remote and compounded control. Generally keep EG controls available as a priority, and VCOs too. But utilities which control the CVs and timing-gate-trig are king.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Controllers for gestures and performance interaction. Examples would be Planar joystick, Pressure Points pads and Sequential Switch Matrix buttons. Attenuators and switches to fine tune and dial into what I need.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:01 pm

I dont know if I am slave or master to CV, but the less I personally mess with it, the better. I find attenuators and switches to be the crucial modules, basically substitutes for mixers and hands that I dont have enough of. Using basic switches in between a ribbon controller and a theremin style proximity antenna I can trigger VCADSR's tied to each, and more better- start and stop inputs on trigger and voltage sequencers. Triggering a start input allows one of the devices to continue controlling some audio aspect (say a quadrature LFO through a wave multiplier or a Multimoog) without defeating the sequence. Also able to step through programmed trigger sequences if desired, or impact other switches for sort of a ducking effect.
Just the other day I got around to switching on the living portion of my mess after weeks of neglect and it sprang to life absolutely gorgeous. I looked around wishing I had a recording option, left it alone as long as I could stand and finally ruined it by interfering.
Not sure which is the controller and which is the controlled. Definitely a lot of psychological aspects to an enjoyable experience.
North American Modular/Boy Love Association

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:23 pm

I mess with these controls in front of my rig. The layout changes sometimes depending on the rig I'm using on the gig. Basically the sliders and pressure controls connect to filters and VCAs, the programmers connect to Wav players and granular modules choosing files, start and stop points, pitch and speed. The layout is now a little different than when I took this picture, Another SP-4DP places the 2 SP-1P and one FSR-4 but generally the same.
Synthwerks Skiff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:20 pm

Often times it's attenuverter controls. I'm controlling the amount of modulation, acting as a human vca
danielriera.bandcamp.com

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:14 am

FM Bus Index on my DPO gets a lot of action. Formant and Barrel on my Mangrove too. The range and Type switches om my A-196 PLL, Structure on Rings and the Rate knob on my Roboto. Not to mention the most obvious ones, like the S knob on my Distings or the cutoff on my filters.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 am

Except for playing the keyboard, I don't "perform" my synthesizer. When setting up a patch I spend the most time wiggling the following controls:

1. Envelope generator settings

2. Oscillator fine-tuning controls

3. Filter frequency CV and manual frequency cutoff

4. Fixed filter bank controls. Rarely used, because I have yet to get the Dotcom Q127 to produce good-sounding formants (and yes, I've tried the feedback trick posted by JLR and others — no soap). But when I do use the Q127 I spend a fuckload of time wiggling it before I almost always give up in frustration and switch to the Grove PM resonator.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:19 am

Only recently moved into Modularlands, so still very much working on filter cutoff and resonance plus envelope settings. I guess a lot more fiddling on VCA settings in the future.
I´m happy when it rains - for if I´m not happy, it rains as well.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 am

Anything is a candidate for tweakage, so the concern is rather to avoid choke points that make things inaccessible. Per patch with cable management and module choice, and in general with module placement.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:46 pm

I guess I tweak a lot of controls but they are mostly with controllers.

I started using a lot of foot pedals to control various things recently in real time: VC LFO speeds, VCF freq. (of course), VCA response, complex VCO timbre and symmetry (slow pedal spread mixed w/ sequencer control). I also like manual control of sequence steps and length, manual switches for everything (Plan B Model 9, EMW Switch Interface, Erica Black Mute Mixer, Studio Electronics Boomstar Router) : take a drum voice out or into an equation, suddenly drop a huge bass swell, eliminate a voice into one of several processors, etc.

Ribbon Controller is an obvious physical tweak. And the Intellijel Planar. I use them for virtually all inputs of modules. Some work and some do not. An Sloths into anything. You may not even notice.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

twistedneck
Common Wiggler

Post by twistedneck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:37 pm

1. Filter controls.. all of them
2. PWM on the oscillator
3. Distortion - I prefer bit crushers and decimators on bass drums or other crazy hard tones
4. LFO's.. man them!
5. Mute / un mute tracks
6. Change all the knobs on analog drums
7. FM amount both for osciallators and Filters
8. Delay time
9. Reverb wet / dry

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”