prices for a complete modular system

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
flokaruna
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:37 am
Location: Heidelberg

prices for a complete modular system

Post by flokaruna » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:09 pm

hey guys,
i have a question. if single modules regularly go for about 75% of the price they cost new, would 60% of the price be reasonable for a complete (quite big) system if everything is in perfect condition?
thanks a lot for your help!

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4408
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by lisa » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Sure. But whole systems is often hard to sell since a big part of modular is to put together a system of your own. Also, most people don’t have the funds to buy a full system at once.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.


KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:25 pm

flokaruna wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:09 pm
hey guys,
i have a question. if single modules regularly go for about 75% of the price they cost new, would 60% of the price be reasonable for a complete (quite big) system if everything is in perfect condition?
thanks a lot for your help!
Are you asking from the perspective of a seller or a buyer?

As a seller, you'd be potentially leaving a lot on the table. But it's all about how soon vs how much you need.

For both seller and buyer, the details of the modules and system matter. I wouldn't want to answer this question until the vague nature was removed by additional information on which mfr, format, case, extras and modules are involved.

User avatar
flokaruna
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:37 am
Location: Heidelberg

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by flokaruna » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:30 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Sure. But whole systems is often hard to sell since a big part of modular is to put together a system of your own. Also, most people don’t have the funds to buy a full system at once.
yeah, that is why i thought 60% would be a motivation to buy the whole thing since the buyer could sell the modules he/she doesn`t want or need and would get more out of it than what has actually been paid for it. Therefore my question. Maybe 50% would increase the chance to be able to sell a whole system. thanks a lot for your answer!

User avatar
flokaruna
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:37 am
Location: Heidelberg

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by flokaruna » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:25 pm
flokaruna wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:09 pm
hey guys,
i have a question. if single modules regularly go for about 75% of the price they cost new, would 60% of the price be reasonable for a complete (quite big) system if everything is in perfect condition?
thanks a lot for your help!
Are you asking from the perspective of a seller or a buyer?

As a seller, you'd be potentially leaving a lot on the table. But it's all about how soon vs how much you need.

For both seller and buyer, the details of the modules and system matter. I wouldn't want to answer this question until the vague nature was removed by additional information on which mfr, format, case, extras and modules are involved.
i`m asking from the perspective of a potential seller :) exactly it`s more about how soon i need it plus avoiding the effort of selling 65 modules seperately...yes sure it depends on the details but i was just interested in a rough opinion. thank you very much for your reply!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:22 pm

flokaruna wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:30 pm
Maybe 50% would increase the chance to be able to sell a whole system. thanks a lot for your answer!
Too low can be a bigger problem than too high. It brings a different group of potential customers, and begs the question, "What's wrong here?" It can even lead to problems *after* the sale if anything is found even just a bit off, because 'Aha! that's; the reason it was so cheap.'

You don't need anyone to tell you that right now is not an ideal time to be selling. :doh: If a quick sale is needed, you might want to keep the price fair, and entertain offers. That way, you can still take a lowball if you must, but you haven't destroyed the potential if you don't get a buyer right away and the world situation -or your own- changes.

Also continuing on with the earlier reply, You might have a few modules which by themselves could carry a large proportion of the value. if so, don't count on somebody buying the whole system to get those, knowing they can sell off the rest to make back their money. They'll only be in the same situation as you -apparently- are now. Instead, consider breaking out these modules to get a fair and quick sale now and hopefully enough toget past your immediate need.

User avatar
Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3304
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: SF bay area

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:59 pm

It depends a lot on what kind of modular you are talking about. Three year old Euro modules? Modcan 'A' Series? Vintage Roland 100M?

Jd1979
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm
Location: Madison

Re: prices for a complete modular system

Post by Jd1979 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:36 pm

I agree that it depends on the system, the era, and how available or rare the modules are. Great example is Wiard 300 systems. They go for between $5500 and $7k for 7 module systems where as 5 years ago they were sitting around $4K-$4500.

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”