Has anybody got an unchanging Euro modular?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Has anybody got an unchanging Euro modular?

Post by thermisonic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 am

Seems unlikely but is there anyone with a stable Eurorack setup from multiple manufacturers that they like to make music with who hasn’t changed/swapped/added to/sold bits for a long while? Mine is always changing a little, seems the nature of the beast.

We see lots of modular grid ‘fantasy racks’ but would be interesting to some that have remained unchanged for a year or two because the user really likes the combination of modules.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Has anybody got an unchanging Euro modular?

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 am

I started a thread about this a while back and loads of forum members stated that they hadn’t purchased anything in years.

I kept my first rack intact for almost a year (after a few months I started another, separate one, though).
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:59 am

Do you have a link to the thread? i’m struggling to find it

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:46 am

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 am

This subject also dovetails with this thread, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=227460

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Not me. The main reason I get modular systems is they are er... modular. I have no idea what this thing will look like in 5 years, but I am sure there will be substantial differences.
As a matter of fact, I treat all of my studio electronics that way. I have a garage full of stuff that spent 3 to 5 years in my studio, then was retired. (I have been accused of getting a new piece of gear for every composition. That's not true... it's more like two or three gadgets per.) Yesterday I redid my MIDI rack and relocated a mixer. I'm writing this note on a break from installing a new Audio interface to remove some noise from the system.

I have a perfectly good excuse reason for this behavior. When I was a teacher of electronic music and audio production I had to keep up to date. I tried going cold turkey when I retired, but I couldn't quit.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:50 pm

I will have just as soon as I retire and run out of money! :tu:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Been a year since I dropped the Quad Octoginta II in and I love this dedicated portable setup!

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:25 pm

i had a module start acting ⬆️ a year ago, so i switched it out for 2 smaller ones. thats all ive changed since january of 18

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm

I haven't had GAS for anything new in a while. I have re-arranged my modules but am not looking to get anything new. Getting a Nord Modular to sit next to my G2 has squashed my needs for anything and the Eurorack is full of modules that are not in the Nord (granular and wave players).

I guess I would love to trade a ton of Euro and the Nord Modular for another G2 but that is about it.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

thermisonic
Common Wiggler

Post by thermisonic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 am

DSC wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Been a year since I dropped the Quad Octoginta II in and I love this dedicated portable setup!

That looks great - do you have any sound demos?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:52 am

A couple of years ago, I thought I was closing in on a stable configuration for my modular.
And then I shook the snow globe again.
And then I rethought everything and consolidated it all into one case.
And then I found that the rethink wasn't really working for me, so I rethought it again.
And I made more adjustments.

But once again I feel like I'm actually approaching a "final form." I have confidence that my modular as it stands now, with Bitwig integration and a Lyra-8, is pretty much exactly what I need. With the E520 I preordered, and probably a Zorlon Cannon mk2, it's going to be buttoned up with 0HP remaining and no real motivation to make further changes.

I might try other non-modular synths and pedals besides what I've got now, but maybe I'll be ready to freeze my modular setup soon :)
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:52 pm

thermisonic wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:59 am
That looks great - do you have any sound demos?
Coming soon :tu:

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Both of my modular systems (MU and eurorack) are fixed. I started my eurorack system from mid-2011 and finished it in late-2013. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted for the first 6U (bottom rows), which was a Wiard system with a full-analog audio path. Then I spiced it up with a third row of sequencing and algorithmic composition modules. The system hasn't changed in more than 6 years and I don't have any plans to change it or expand it. I feel I still have lots to explore with this system.

Likewise, my MU-format system hasn't changed much in the last 5 years. I've been sporadically adding modules to fill the empty spaces, but it is finally full and there are no plans to expand it any further.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:04 am

I have 12u of analogue systems and doepfer stuff that doesn't change much. I might swap out the EMS filter for the comb filter every now and then. I do also have a separate 3u that is more recent and I still change a module every now and then. I am interested in making sounds from basic building blocks so a lot of the newer euro stuff doesn't interest me. I'm more tempted to get a whole Erica system or a whole Moog clone system rather than swapping individual modules .

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:17 am

hmm well, the eurorack portion of my overall system hasn't changed much over the last few years - mostly a core of intellijel audio generation and processing modules with various controller, sequencer, random and chaotic voltages stuff from other mfrs. the most recent expansions have been concentrated around the buchla and bugbrand kit (although i admittedly did start a "smaller" 12U portable system of rossum and synthtech stuff the other year - that i mostly consider a "separate subsytem" - i.e. interesting enough to not really matter what format it is - and also admittedly, i do consider trying out some of those nice looking jornalogue modules from time to time to see how they compare with their intellijel counterparts, such as Filter 8 vs Doctor Octature, etc... so i guess i don't really have much an "unchanging euro modular", now do i?).
:deadbanana:

cheers
"all the clouds turn to words. all the words float in sequence. no one knows what they mean. everyone just ignores them..."

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:25 am

fac wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 pm
The system hasn't changed in more than 6 years and I don't have any plans to change it or expand it. I feel I still have lots to explore with this system.

:tu: awesome - yeah, i too have a malekko euro-wiard system, and to me it also feels infinite, complete and eternal. so i guess i do have an unchanging euro modular after all.

cheers
"all the clouds turn to words. all the words float in sequence. no one knows what they mean. everyone just ignores them..."

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”