Circuit Monostation vs Launch Pad Pro MK3 for Sequencing Duties?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jpeterman
Learning to Wiggle

Circuit Monostation vs Launch Pad Pro MK3 for Sequencing Duties?

Post by jpeterman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Guys, I'm very financially strapped right now and business has slowed down (synth repairs). But I need some type of sequencer considering I sold my Pyramid. I have a hybrid setup, with several rack/keyboard synths as well as a modest euro setup: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/992480

The monostation has been on sale for $250 since around black friday. The LPPMK3 I can get new for $310~. Im intrigued by the monostation because it adds a mono to my setup (have the ATC-1 but thats for sale). I use Ableton mostly for tracking and sequencing my nonmodular gear. Which would you say is the better buy?

bradovic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Circuit Monostation vs Launch Pad Pro MK3 for Sequencing Duties?

Post by bradovic » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 am

Definitely sounds like you need to get the Mono Station!
It has a great sequencer (256 steps per session on osc1 , 96 gate length values per step, different clock rate and direction per pattern..)
Then you have the duophonic interaction of the sequencers, patch flip (which is mental), and since 1.2 update you can use the mod seq as a seperate CV sequencer)
Oh and it sounds really good.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:51 pm

I´d say Launchpad, but I´m biased.

If you can/must compromise or it is a perfect fit for your workflow, then and only then go for the monostation. Lots of features packed into a small package. Very reasonable combination.

Reasons I´d pick the LPP nonetheless:

- Traditionally developed as an Ableton Controller. What´s your DAW again? 64 pads plus fader modes etc.
- Aftertouch. Even polyphonic if you can/want make use of that
- You can get a mono voice out of Ableton any time and add hardware if times get better. Built in synths, freeware plugins, commercial.
- If you need pots and sliders, there is tons of options, some of them super cheap.
- You are infected by Euro already. Chances are you don´t like being limited to a fixed setup/layout. Unless the mono perfectly fits your workflow....
- Get a used LPP gen1, unless you need a standalone sequencer or custom layouts, like 3 sliders and a bunch of note buttons.

As in modular, there is the option of "one box per function" vs combined thingies. I prefer things that do less tasks better, because sooner or later I always got annoyed by the jacks of all trades.

Again, not bashing the monostation, it may work for you. I just find the LPP a better fit now and in the long run.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

jpeterman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpeterman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:51 pm
As in modular, there is the option of "one box per function" vs combined thingies. I prefer things that do less tasks better, because sooner or later I always got annoyed by the jacks of all trades.

Again, not bashing the monostation, it may work for you. I just find the LPP a better fit now and in the long run.
Yeah, thats exactly why I'm going to go with the LPP, as its going to likely be a better standalone sequencer than the monostation. As I said before, DAW is Ableton. Seems like a no brainer, its just the added $100.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”