Think I might have fried a built-in case module...

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

enlargedgarbage
Learning to Wiggle

Think I might have fried a built-in case module...

Post by enlargedgarbage » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 pm

I have a cre8audio niftycase that contains a built in midi to cv module. I had been patching the case lying on its back with open space exposing the circuit board that contains the IC(?) for the module in question (according to the text on the PCB) and the end of one of my cables touched part of this board, after which I realized the module stopped functioning. Is this a commonly occurring rookie mistake? I am still very green here. :doh: :doh: :doh:

Upon further inspection I noticed the top of the ARM chip looks to be malformed, but not sure if it was already like this. Does this look fried to y'all? (sorry for the bad pic)

Thanks in advance

Power Mic 3K
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Think I might have fried a built-in case module...

Post by Power Mic 3K » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am

Cables and screws are especially prone to falling into such voids. In the future, fill in any empty module spaces with blanks. You can buy different sizes or make them yourself out of material as simple as cardboard, for example.

I can’t quite see the condition from the picture. If the top of that ARM chip appears anything but flat with a consistent finish, that’s not good.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Yes. And Yes. To rookie mistake, and broken ARM.

Blank panels are your friend.

enlargedgarbage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlargedgarbage » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 pm

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

thanxxx yall! lesson learned :waah:

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:20 am

KSS wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 pm
broken ARM.
;) Been there done that (long ago; I'm old). My first engineering lesson was "don't let the smoke out of the chips."

alog4738
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alog4738 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 am

Can you ask somebody with a oscilloscope to measure the chip pins ?
Maybe it's just a bad solder joint somewhere.
Pretty popular problem with SMD pcbs ;(

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

alog4738 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 am
Maybe it's just a bad solder joint somewhere.
Pretty popular problem with SMD pcbs ;(
The chip in the photo is buckled and burned black where it released its magic smoke. Not to mention the OP reported a direct correlation between a unit which was working, then a mistake was made -with near instant bad results, followed by not working.

In such a case it would NOT be a good idea to re-apply power to take a measurement. Especially since other modules in the system may also have been damaged when the mistake happened. Need to empty everything out, get this portion fixed or replaced, and then -and only then- begin the process of single module at a time inspection, correction if necessary, and re-entry into the system. If OP has a second system, that one could have its modules removed and then the case and PSU used to check modules from this setup.

It would be a good idea to measure the rails to GND pins resistance on every module's power input connector to ensure the rails are not shorted. This is always a good first step in checking out a new or newly built module.

After each module is found to be okay on its own, then finally the system can be carefully brought together.

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm

I’ve seen a couple of these cases pop up on reverb with non-working midi I/O, probably the same issue. IIRC the bundle comes filled out with blank panels, likely to prevent exactly this from happening.
It began as a mistake.

enlargedgarbage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlargedgarbage » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 am

KSS wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm
The chip in the photo is buckled and burned black where it released its magic smoke. Not to mention the OP reported a direct correlation between a unit which was working, then a mistake was made -with near instant bad results, followed by not working.

In such a case it would NOT be a good idea to re-apply power to take a measurement. Especially since other modules in the system may also have been damaged when the mistake happened. Need to empty everything out, get this portion fixed or replaced, and then -and only then- begin the process of single module at a time inspection, correction if necessary, and re-entry into the system. If OP has a second system, that one could have its modules removed and then the case and PSU used to check modules from this setup.

It would be a good idea to measure the rails to GND pins resistance on every module's power input connector to ensure the rails are not shorted. This is always a good first step in checking out a new or newly built module.

After each module is found to be okay on its own, then finally the system can be carefully brought together.
Dang, so do you think I should stop using the case all together until that's fixed? :waah: I only have four modules and none of them have malfunctioned or exhibited strange behavior at all. Either way good to know in the future.... :hail:
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm
I’ve seen a couple of these cases pop up on reverb with non-working midi I/O, probably the same issue. IIRC the bundle comes filled out with blank panels, likely to prevent exactly this from happening.
I'm sure there's a legion of meandering simpletons such as myself who inadvertently patched the wrong side of the tracks on these babies. I ended up selling the modules that came with it and of course just left the sucker wide open instead of taking time to reposition everything. A wise man once said, "..if you don't know, now you know." :doh:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:10 am

I always recommend talking to the maker about this type of situation. Cre8Audio seem like cool folks and it's better for them to give you an answer than for me to speculate whether the damge to the midi portion of your PCB affected the power part negatively.
Reach out to them and let us know what they say?

enlargedgarbage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by enlargedgarbage » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:10 am
I always recommend talking to the maker about this type of situation. Cre8Audio seem like cool folks and it's better for them to give you an answer than for me to speculate whether the damge to the midi portion of your PCB affected the power part negatively.
Reach out to them and let us know what they say?
Cool yeah I've already hit them up about possibly obtaining a replacement board. Still waiting for a reply.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”