"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by metasonix » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/13/2121 ... -community

When I started in this scene more than 20 years ago, it was hoped that the extremely-steep learning curve for modular would prevent or discourage people from making bland ambient self-playing patches and just recording it for long periods. No such luck.

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by jorg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:54 pm

We don't all need distortion all the time. I've been into space ambient music since it was called "planetarium music" (1970s).

Ghost Hip
Learning to Wiggle

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by Ghost Hip » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Ah yes, edgy distortion loving folks scoffing at people enjoying not abrasive sounds.

Let people enjoy things. And the learning curb is not as steep as you people make it out to be.

ThunderSkull
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ThunderSkull » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Discourage and Prevent, excellent marketing strategy!!

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:05 pm

jorg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:54 pm
We don't all need distortion all the time.
Ghost Hip wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm
Ah yes, edgy distortion loving folks scoffing at people enjoying not abrasive sounds.
Y'all know Metasonix can be used for stuff other than extreme distortion, right?

Ghost Hip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Hip » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:05 pm
jorg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:54 pm
We don't all need distortion all the time.
Ghost Hip wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm
Y'all know Metasonix can be used for stuff other than extreme distortion, right?
I could care less. Doesn't change that this attitude is lame af. Some people are just starting, some people will grow out of these sorts of patches, some people aren't trying to make something "original" or "new" or engaging. If you're being salty about a simple practice by small accounts on youtube becoming popular during a pandemic? Get over yourself.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Just let people be and enjoy their gear however they like. I frankly see no reason why modular gear should be targeted at people fitting within a certain pigeon hole.

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Man, I just hate it when other people enjoy things I don't like!

p_shoulder
Common Wiggler

Post by p_shoulder » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 pm

There's a fair bit of crossover between the "ambient" (soothing spaciness, get lost in fluffy reverb) and the "dark ambient" (noisy deep rumblings, get lost in the reverberated bowels of hell) music scenes. So it's not like "noisy" and "not noisy" are binaries. Some of the pro artists that crossover (Robert Rich come to mind) have used modular synths for 20+ years.

This article is about hobby level stuff for the most part anyways. No more than 10K views in the article. Clicking around a few artists on Youtube have slightly higher viewcounts (300K at most) but I doubt it pays more than a tiny stipend of Google ad moolah. And a modular version of Debussy's Claire De Lune way tops the viewcount of any of the ambient noodlings anyways.

As an aside, I don't consider "modular synths" as a category to have as high of a learning curve as, say, sight-reading or virtuosity in an instrument.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:50 pm

If people are discouraged from attempting something from people poking fun at what they don't like or sharing a negative opinion then why are they doing it in the first place? There are groups everywhere that hate anything. Like what you like and let people dislike it. What happened to people saying fuck that I like it and that's all that matters.
People can have their opinions without it being seen as gatekeeping. There used to be a time when criticism was sought and veterans opinions were respected. I respect Mr. Metasonix greatly, his work frankly speaks for itself. I've had the chance on a few occassions to play with his designs and it is imo fantastic stuff, but out of my budget right now. His opinions while rough, to me at least, are a valuable part of a diverse community of thought. Some people want back patting and some want a fight with many in between. Short of personal attacks or the other no go zones on here why stop any of it?

I usually end up rolling my eyes a few times at articles people send me from the Verge. This was full of the same types of problems. Opinions written as facts, little research on the subject and bland psuedo-marketing. I get it people all over the country and the world missed out on the prime hipster days, but growing up in an enclave of them and dealing with the level of boring entitlement from peers has taught me that no matter how many holga shots you have or secret papusarias you know about doesn't make you more cultured or better than anyone else.

As far as the learning curve not being hard, that depends on the individual. Saying something isn't hard for people because it isn't for you is a form of gatekeeping in itself usually used as a tool to stop gatekeeping.

Although I do agree with p_shoulder this stuff is a lot easier than sight reading! :bang:

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Loves me some Eno.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:04 pm

i saw that article pop up in my feed and kind of ignored it, but it's cool to see it featured on a webpage like verge.. "part audio-visual wallpaper"... shit, i've been there.

some people get salty their niche market gets attention. they attach some sort of identity to it or prefer the community be small and close knit. others welcome newcomers which bring in new ideas. can see both sides. but after andrew huang showed off his modular collection with his, what? million+ subscribers, i think it's a market destined for broader interest.

i got an email from reverb recently stating their sales are up - among both repeat customers and first time buyers alike - people need shit to do while stuck inside. and if making music is their choice, i'm very happy it's a hobby which can bring joy to themselves and others.

anyway, i got a few more subscribers to my channel recently after not having posted new stuff in a few weeks. wonder if this was the cause. keep on bloopin in these crazy times. :lick:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:15 pm

I only post music on youtube I don't like. Solves all kinds of issues.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:27 pm

the video in the article sounds like a bloke holding a synth pad for a few minutes...really not compelling nor interesting. if haters hate - tough :P Could do that on any VA hardware synth or VST...

i think a lot of the type that film their vids are more into how "Sexy their rack looks" and "how sexy their cable colours are", or "studios that look like lifestyle mags" than what music they're making.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Eno I can take that's the difference. It is getting harder and harder to find high quality ambient music on youtube. The verge used way too much thermal paste. Google it.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 pm

p_shoulder wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 pm
As an aside, I don't consider "modular synths" as a category to have as high of a learning curve as, say, sight-reading or virtuosity in an instrument.
Good point. What percentage of modular synthesists could sight sing Row Your Boat if you didn’t tell them what the song was in advance, or tell you the notes in a C7 chord? Or even be able to figure out what key a pop song is in? The level of even elementary musicianship is very low in this hobby. (No disrespect to the advanced musicians—it’s easy to tell who you are.)
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:54 pm

My first taste in 1984.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:20 pm
It is getting harder and harder to find high quality ambient music on youtube.
YouTube never struck me as a primary place to go looking for music in the first place. But then I'm old I guess, I still prefer albums.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:50 pm

I mainly listen to eurorack based music on Soundcloud. Not very much of wishy-wishy ambient there and the recording/production values are usually a lot better when video can’t be used as a crutch. There are like 50-100 tracks a day taggad with ”eurorack” and most of them are decent. Recommended.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 am

Hey metasonix why don't you go shit in a box and record that :PPPPP

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 am

metasonix wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm
When I started in this scene more than 20 years ago, it was hoped that the extremely-steep learning curve for modular would prevent or discourage people from making bland ambient self-playing patches and just recording it for long periods. No such luck.
So you're the guy that keeps disliking my YouTube vids :lol:
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:26 am

Modzak. Courtesy of two rows of Mutable Instruments and Make Noise patched with matching cables and aided by Elektron. All very original. Pleasant Modzak though.

leftbracket
Common Wiggler

Post by leftbracket » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:37 am

For an instrument with such complexity, one hardly sees the succulent crowd patching intelligently. It seems like they prefer to just think of the modular as a collection of canned sources and effects that are minimally wired together rather than a means of constructing something greater than the sum of its parts. And yet they couldn't just use infinitely cheaper VSTs to accomplish "Rings into Clouds" in a way better suited to them, cause they need the sick consumerist cred and social media attention and the forced aesthetic of it all.

Whatever, still not as bad as the guys on reddit who boast about going "DAWless" and just make endless variations on single-bar loops with a ton of Volcas...

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 am

I thought the idea of making music was to enjoy it, not demonstrate how 'intelligently' you could use the hardware- maybe that's why I never really got modular :despair:

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 am

Yeah - only real musicians allowed - everyone else can fuck right off.

I'm a fake musician who's made fraudulent ambient.
Call the thought police.

And fuck sight reading row your fucking boat. Row it your fucking self.
Damn, I feel much better now.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”