"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by JES » Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm

aragorn23 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:37 am
Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower.
Also, I'll be stealing this for my signature file (unless Aragorn23 objects). Perfect for this BBS.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by Arneb » Sun May 03, 2020 12:51 pm

snakejaw wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:20 pm
when you're a baby, you call out "mommy, I made a poo poo! come look!" and if she's a good and loving parent, she'll praise you and say it's beautiful! this is important. we need to feel seen, loved and protected when we are little.

then we grow up and we still expect, nay, demand, that people praise our shit, or be commanded to remain silent(!). criticism is hate speech. and if we don't follow what's proscribed, we're subjected to sour frowns. OMG!!! but in order to grow, we need to work with our shit. maybe mix it with plaster and sculpt it or rub some all over our face and claim we just made a mask.
Frankly, posting on Muffs on how you hate that Youtube ambient stuff isn't about enabling someone to grow, it's about feeling better about your own tastes. No one's going to feel targeted by it and no one's supposed to. In other words, it's not criticism at all, it's circlejerking.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Sun May 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm
That is simply your own opinion. By it's very nature, art is whatever the artist wants it to be.
Yah but where´s the button to flush it down? ;)

Sorry but if I read "enabling someone to grow" I feel a little sick. Like being framed by a google ad.
I´d think one would grow from going through conflict and standing your ground in dissent more than from consens-cuddling.

I guess we need a circle-jerk emoticon...
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Sun May 03, 2020 4:16 pm

The question is more of about self-awareness, or a lack of it, within certain users. Some simplistic "ambient rig" that literally can do almost nothing else but drone or some euclidean / turing thing for a half hour, just isn't that interesting an instrument to someone who knows far more what modulars are capable of, and/or knows music theory and composition. Let's not mince, it's fundamentally natural to have a "fuck those posers" reaction to someone getting outsized attention and praise over you for doing what you factually know, is a much more simplistic, low-depth version of things you can do. Being able to spot and call out a dilettante just feels right in such circumstance.

I must note, that I can't count how many times I've seen demos on youtube where someone has a very nice rig and then records it on their phone with a shaky cam. $20,000+ machine, $200 phone, which turns said machine into a farting kazoo on recording. What. Seriously, not only does this make me instantly click out because it's useless as a demo, it just makes no sense that a machine of such caliber somehow can't ultimately be recorded properly to show to the entire world. I think it's quite possible that the extreme effort put into the presentation and audio qualities of the videos of the succulent ambient crowd, could be basically a response / interplay to that phenomenon, intentional or not.

The key worry is, whether some of the succulent crowd (ha) would even find modulars that cool or worth it unless they specifically thought they looked neat aesthetically and wanted to make fancy lifestyle-looking posts on youtube with them. The concern then is, are some modulars being used in the same manner as a rented mansion or luxury car being used in instagram models' photoshoots? Is that disrespectful to mansions and luxury cars, then, do you need to disown auto enthusiasts and sell your car to dissociate yourself with that kind of thing? You know the answer. Are you justified hating that instagram follower's crowd seeming to pretend (or are uninformed enough to believe) that they actually own that car or house? I'd say they're naive is all. However, naive or not they know the difference between a shack and a mansion, a beater vs luxury car. If the uninformed are naive to what a modular looks like or can do, it's probably natural to be annoyed that they might be getting taught that "it's a little thing you can keep in your breakfast nook that makes nice soothing sounds" - I mean it can be, it's just there should be more emphasis on what else modulars can do, a better demonstration of larger rigs to counter this and inform.

smithclarkson02
1-Post Wiggler

Post by smithclarkson02 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:25 pm

That's like saying hamburgers are quite played out. Just because you can suddenly get them everywhere, and most of them taste about the same, doesn't mean I don't love me some hamburgers once in a while. :) 9appsapk.vinvidmateapp.vinvlc.vin
Last edited by smithclarkson02 on Mon May 04, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun May 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Eggamuffin

aragorn23
Common Wiggler

Post by aragorn23 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:40 am

JES wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm
aragorn23 wrote:
Also, I'll be stealing this for my signature file (unless Aragorn23 objects). Perfect for this BBS.
Haha! I'm honoured to have provided a sig for someone :hihi:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Mon May 04, 2020 2:25 am

nios wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:16 pm
....... it's just there should be more emphasis on what else modulars can do, a better demonstration of larger rigs to counter this and inform.
Over to you then boss :yay:

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am

aragorn23 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:40 am
JES wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm
aragorn23 wrote:
Haha! I'm honoured to have provided a sig for someone :hihi:
Much appreciated. I've been waiting for the perfect quote and yours is it. It ends all of my posts perfectly.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm

nios wrote:
The question is more of about self-awareness, or a lack of it, within certain users. Some simplistic "ambient rig" that literally can do almost nothing else but drone or some euclidean / turing thing for a half hour, just isn't that interesting an instrument to someone who knows far more what modulars are capable of, and/or knows music theory and composition. Let's not mince, it's fundamentally natural to have a "fuck those posers" reaction to someone getting outsized attention and praise over you for doing what you factually know, is a much more simplistic, low-depth version of things you can do. Being able to spot and call out a dilettante just feels right in such circumstance.

I must note, that I can't count how many times I've seen demos on youtube where someone has a very nice rig and then records it on their phone with a shaky cam. $20,000+ machine, $200 phone, which turns said machine into a farting kazoo on recording. What.
It might not be interesting to you. The person posting it probably finds it interesting. People watching it find it interesting enough to click and listen. It's not a "lack of self awareness" to post something you enjoy. Posting isn't a claim to musical genius or synth mastery, it's just sharing music. Everyone can and should do it even if your music isn't amazing. This is the gatekeeping in its most pathetic form.

Pure snobbery. What is the floor of complexity above which music doesn't enrage you? How complicated does a piece have to be to justify its existence? I doubt you're the hybrid offspring of Jacob Collier and Richard Devine, or whatever example you'd prefer. I guarantee I can find hundreds of musicians who will descredit anything you can do as equally simplistic, doubly so if it's based on synths instead of acoustic instruments.

Have some perspective, or the same self awareness you accuse others of lacking. If you need to point out how complex and difficult your music is, the process might be more interesting than the result. Simplicity isn't a bad word in music. Sometimes I like things complex, sometimes I prefer simple. Both approaches are valuable.

If someone has a notable following for modular synth music, they've probably done something to earn it. Whether it's good video quality, consistent posting, or a vibe people enjoy...don't pretend your jealousy is a righteous defense of True Music™. As for shaky instagram videos, video production is hard and many people aren't excited to learn it. Some people just want to share a cool sound, not to produce top quality product demos. I'm not thrilled to learn how to sync audio to video, but I would take a quick phone video if I felt the inclination.

Relax. The Rings into Clouds can't hurt you. If your tunes are underappreciated, it's not because of Lightbath...

marxicle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marxicle » Tue May 05, 2020 9:52 am

nios wrote:

The key worry is,
i can't imagine having the energy to over-think what people are doing with their bleep-bloop boxes to this degree

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue May 05, 2020 10:08 am

^ this.

Did they somehow steal your ambientdollars on Youtube?
15U 168hp Zebrawood case Build Log [FINISHED]: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=134540
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Tue May 05, 2020 6:11 pm

marxicle wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:52 am
nios wrote:

The key worry is,
i can't imagine having the energy to over-think what people are doing with their bleep-bloop boxes to this degree
You misinterpret my post - I put the key concern of this thread as an analogy, and ask rhetorically, whether that's actually something that you'd rationally commit to acting over. I said "you know the answer" - I guess I need to spell that out, the answer is "no." As in, "no, regardless if you feel slighted by any phoniness you may perceive, don't disown the community or quit modular if you don't like what some people are doing with them, because that makes as little sense as selling your car because someone used theirs in a way you didn't like."

marxicle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marxicle » Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm

sorry chief. the whole thread is just awful but somehow i can't look away. basically all i have to say on the matter is that the original post, for all its artfully constructed countercultural swagger, is actually just deeply reactionary and boring

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Thu May 07, 2020 8:24 am

marxicle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm
sorry chief. the whole thread is just awful but somehow i can't look away. basically all i have to say on the matter is that the original post, for all its artfully constructed countercultural swagger, is actually just deeply reactionary and boring
A hilarious statement on so many levels.
Thank you for it.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am

I like house plants and distortion.
And for the record,
modular ambient uses too much reverb and
1940s Jazz has way too many saxophones and
Metal uses way too much dropped tuned guitar and way to many down shifted vocals.
Prog rock? Way, way too many synths.
Rock? Is anyone sick of guitars yet?.. It’s been 70 fucking years!
Free jazz? Can folks please listen to each other!?!?
Classical music? Too many strings!
Funk? Too much slap bass. Plus the beats are ridiculously infectious an danceable.
And Polka and Zydeco with the accordions.
And marches with the sousaphones!
Musique Concrete? Too much reality.
I fucking hate music!

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 am

nios wrote:

I must note, that I can't count how many times I've seen demos on youtube where someone has a very nice rig and then records it on their phone with a shaky cam. $20,000+ machine, $200 phone, which turns said machine into a farting kazoo on recording. What. Seriously, not only does this make me instantly click out because it's useless as a demo, it just makes no sense that a machine of such caliber somehow can't ultimately be recorded properly to show to the entire world. I think it's quite possible that the extreme effort put into the presentation and audio qualities of the videos of the succulent ambient crowd, could be basically a response / interplay to that phenomenon, intentional or not.

The key worry is, whether some of the succulent crowd (ha) would even find modulars that cool or worth it unless they specifically thought they looked neat aesthetically and wanted to make fancy lifestyle-looking posts on youtube with them. The concern then is, are some modulars being used in the same manner as a rented mansion or luxury car being used in instagram models' photoshoots? Is that disrespectful to mansions and luxury cars, then, do you need to disown auto enthusiasts and sell your car to dissociate yourself with that kind of thing? You know the answer. Are you justified hating that instagram follower's crowd seeming to pretend (or are uninformed enough to believe) that they actually own that car or house? I'd say they're naive is all. However, naive or not they know the difference between a shack and a mansion, a beater vs luxury car. If the uninformed are naive to what a modular looks like or can do, it's probably natural to be annoyed that they might be getting taught that "it's a little thing you can keep in your breakfast nook that makes nice soothing sounds" - I mean it can be, it's just there should be more emphasis on what else modulars can do, a better demonstration of larger rigs to counter this and inform.
^ The only sensible post in this entire threat.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Thu May 07, 2020 12:19 pm

It’s just that the act of dismissing an entire genre is almost always suspect, and there has been a fair amount of that in the thread above. I guess that’s all part of the Metasonix bad-ass, super-extreemo, I-can-shock-your-wimpo-baby-man-ass, company image.

I’m kind of sick of that attitude these days, but Metasonix modules are pretty cool if you can get past the smeared with shit aesthtetic.

marxicle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marxicle » Fri May 08, 2020 11:04 am

nomass wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:19 pm
It’s just that the act of dismissing an entire genre is almost always suspect, and there has been a fair amount of that in the thread above. I guess that’s all part of the Metasonix bad-ass, super-extreemo, I-can-shock-your-wimpo-baby-man-ass, company image.

I’m kind of sick of that attitude these days, but Metasonix modules are pretty cool if you can get past the smeared with shit aesthtetic.
yeah it's dull as dishwater. i don't have room in my life - both literally and figuratively - for a "Butt Probe". the whole aesthetic is just ARE YOU OFFENDED? ARE YOU? ARE YOU TRIGGERED? (no, i'm just profoundly bored)

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Manbabies gotta manbaby. Some people don’t grow out of their uber cool teen contrarian selves.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:05 pm

can we merge this thread with that 'existential crisis in eurorack' one? i think the two topics about about to converge into the same point

voltpaladin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by voltpaladin » Fri May 08, 2020 6:24 pm

nomass wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am
I like house plants and distortion.
And for the record,
modular ambient uses too much reverb and
1940s Jazz has way too many saxophones and
Metal uses way too much dropped tuned guitar and way to many down shifted vocals.
Prog rock? Way, way too many synths.
Rock? Is anyone sick of guitars yet?.. It’s been 70 fucking years!
Free jazz? Can folks please listen to each other!?!?
Classical music? Too many strings!
Funk? Too much slap bass. Plus the beats are ridiculously infectious an danceable.
And Polka and Zydeco with the accordions.
And marches with the sousaphones!
Musique Concrete? Too much reality.
I fucking hate music!
:yay:

Has anyone linked to "It's Okay To Not Like Things" yet?

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sat May 09, 2020 5:19 am

marxicle wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:04 am
nomass wrote:

yeah it's dull as dishwater. i don't have room in my life - both literally and figuratively - for a "Butt Probe". the whole aesthetic is just ARE YOU OFFENDED? ARE YOU? ARE YOU TRIGGERED? (no, i'm just profoundly bored)
Is it so far a leap for you to consider that the joke may be on you at this point?

It’s a little painful to behold.

But carry on (please).
Last edited by missingtwin on Sat May 09, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 am

colossus wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 pm
Manbabies gotta manbaby. Some people don’t grow out of their uber cool teen contrarian selves.
Right on :yay: :tu:

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 am

nomass wrote:
...but Metasonix modules are pretty cool...
But am I cool enough to own one?

I'm having my doubts now :waah:
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”