"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mkasthe
Learning to Wiggle

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by mkasthe » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm

marxicle wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:04 am
metasonix wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/13/2121 ... -community

When I started in this scene more than 20 years ago, it was hoped that the extremely-steep learning curve for modular would prevent or discourage people from making bland ambient self-playing patches and just recording it for long periods. No such luck.
"old man yells at clouds"

people are just having fun with their instruments ffs. they're spending a lot of money on it, too. let them enjoy it however they want instead of being a cop lol
OldManClouds.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Made in Italy and exported to NYC

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by Mikeyg3k » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 pm
Mikeyg3k wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 am
Hey metasonix why don't you go shit in a box and record that :PPPPP
I propose to select a can as medium and sell that shit as art after recording how it drops in.

In terms of music I can't stand the sounds that Psytrance consists out of. But that's my problem, not yours.
Love it !!!!!

cedarskies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cedarskies » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 am

i think it's great that harry styles and simple generative eurorack ambient and electricity dancing around in complex interactions to create sounds all exist :) . whichever one speaks to you is kinda irrelevant and certainly not worth getting upset over because the ability for people to express themselves in all of these ways is excellent

thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:43 am

some people aren't trying to make something "original" or "new" or engaging.
IDGAF about "new" or "original" but why would anyone try to make something that is not engaging? IDGI.

I see a lot of half-assed stuff, sometimes barely even that, more like quarter-assed! It's frustrating when you hear something that would be good or even really good, if only some more effort or thought had been put into it. Like that there (gestures vaguely) is a good foundation for a piece, or backing track or w/e, buut that's all you're ever going to get of it. Wasted opportunity, in some ways worse than something that is just crap to start off with.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 am

hamildad wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:04 am
I KINDA agree with the OP here, but its more that many modules now look so complicated and have so many hidden features, they seem to push people towards setting it all up in advance and then never touching the controls in case you move some sub menu and the whole thing falls apart..
Isn't part of the point of generative music just to leave it and let it do its thing though?

Personally I often find these types of vids interesting even I'd never listen to said music on an album or whatever. I hardly listen to 'ambient' music at all.

I started posting stuff on YouTube because I got really fed up of just releasing albums, a process that takes me years with endless amount of fiddling. I started uploading as a means of testing work-in-progress, ideas that were intentionally unfinished though hopefully not half-arsed. A bit like, if one was playing live, you'd test out a new track to gauge audience reaction.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 pm

It's frustrating when you hear something that would be good or even really good, if only some more effort or thought had been put into it
I understand what you are saying but this could be said of any music. It is likely these tracks are achieving what the artists were aiming for, or they wouldn't have posted them. Even though that falls short of your personal expectation of what makes a good track. Additional "effort" could improve the tracks for you, but in the process, ruin it for others. I mean, I've heard so many potentially great meditative tracks that have been ruined by an ill-advised MIDI pan-pipes solo or some jarring change of texture/mood.We just have to respect the choices the artist has made and if we don't like it, we don't listen to it and we move on :)

Boneoh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boneoh » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Music is a strange thing. I grew up in the 60's, we had tons of weird stuff that I listened to once or twice, then moved on. Not everyone is gonna like everything. Just enjoy.

I had friends that listened to stuff like Frank Zappa and Yoko Ono. Not my cup of tea, but its no skin off my nose what others enjoy.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Narcissism is probably a problem in our culture. I'm guilty of recording and posting my trash. But on the other hand, music is a great outlet for people. If it doesn't meet your expectations of what is good, you can still be kind about it.

Alternatively, there are plenty of fields with higher barriers to entry. If that is among your top concerns, you could re-evaluate the landscape and move in another direction.

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 pm

This thread is pointless.

Reporting for being criminally inane.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++NOTHING TO SEE HERE++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++MOVE ALONG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++CARRY ON++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++NO PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++OPINIONS ONLY+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm

edt - soz double post

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:15 pm

There's nothing inherently narcissistic about sharing music with other people. If anything, it's probably more narcissistic to sit on it and never release it anywhere. The idiom about somebody's trash being somebody else's treasure applies to music. Someone might enjoy your trash.

There's a guiding worldview behind all of this. Some people believe that there is an objective good or bad in art. Usually it's based on what art has the most historical or cultural prestige, but it can also be based on an idea of "greatness" or legacy or innovation. I don't think it's wrong to care about those things, but it easily sours and turns into a distaste for "lesser" or relatively mediocre artists. In the age of democratized music releasing, there's a lot of artists to pick on.

The idea that music is competitive instead of collaborative or communal breeds this kind of distaste. It's toxic to creativity and it makes us treat artists more like brands than people doing something they enjoy. It only discourages people from participating. Everyone benefits from more involvement in music.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:50 pm

minatorymodular wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:15 pm
There's nothing inherently narcissistic about sharing music with other people. If anything, it's probably more narcissistic to sit on it and never release it anywhere. The idiom about somebody's trash being somebody else's treasure applies to music. Someone might enjoy your trash.

There's a guiding worldview behind all of this. Some people believe that there is an objective good or bad in art. Usually it's based on what art has the most historical or cultural prestige, but it can also be based on an idea of "greatness" or legacy or innovation. I don't think it's wrong to care about those things, but it easily sours and turns into a distaste for "lesser" or relatively mediocre artists. In the age of democratized music releasing, there's a lot of artists to pick on.

The idea that music is competitive instead of collaborative or communal breeds this kind of distaste. It's toxic to creativity and it makes us treat artists more like brands than people doing something they enjoy. It only discourages people from participating. Everyone benefits from more involvement in music.
narcissism isn't always part of it. In the U.S., especially in urban areas, it is a huge part.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:31 pm

@minatorymodular

Well said. We can objectively discuss the importance of a piece of music within a historical and/or cultural context, but every person must judge the work for themselves. Although, I suppose there are people that exist who do not believe all individuals are equal and would contend that some opinions matter far more than others :)

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 pm

for me the biggest problem with you tube ambient video is there are no chicks with bikinis! Where is the sex? Plants don’t sell! Add some female skin and your music will sell to the masses.

Whelm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whelm » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Eurocat wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 pm
for me the biggest problem with you tube ambient video is there are no chicks with bikinis! Where is the sex? Plants don’t sell! Add some female skin and your music will sell to the masses.
... Come on man.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Whelm wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:44 pm
Eurocat wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 pm
... Come on man.
if we're going to discuss the notion of appealing to baser instincts with more heady music, i for one prefer to associate my ambient noodling with violence over sex. true, houseplants aren't a symbol of carnal passion (for most, not kink shaming), but the suggestion of danger to subtly disrupt the default mode of 'relaxation' or 'meditative music' actually means my tunes are bangin. here's my new album cover
patchdaddy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 pm

metasonix wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm
When I started in this scene more than 20 years ago, it was hoped that the extremely-steep learning curve for modular would prevent or discourage people from making bland ambient self-playing patches and just recording it for long periods. No such luck.
"it was hoped"... by whom?
"extremely steep learning curve"... compared to what? drumming?
"bland ambient"... ear of the beholder. what´s interesting ambient then?
"self-playing"... what´s bad about that and why is "being played by someone" important?
"long periods"... ambient does not work in jingle length, so what´s your point?

I´m not sure if OP is just trolling us, hence some questions for clarification.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:11 am

Anything with the words “modular” and “ambient” in the title - can’t skip that shit fast enough.
All the more reason if there’s a succulent and a steaming cup of tea in the frame. Fully guaranteed to suck balls.

*edited for balls
Last edited by missingtwin on Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:28 am

missingtwin wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:11 am
Anything with the words “modular” and “ambient” in the title - can’t skip that shit fast enough.
Unless of course it's a thread with those words in the title :doh:

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:34 am

my god, you’re right!
:russian:

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:43 pm

When I was teaching electronic music composition, I told my students they could work in any style they wanted to, as long as they did a good job of it. Head banging or ambient drone were fine, as long as it was interesting head banging or ambient drone. I also taught them Sturgeon's law (90% of everything is crap) and how to build their own crap detector.

Given that, I can't agree with the opening post. I won't condemn any sort of music based on genre. For the best argument on that see "A Subversive History of Music" by Ted Gioia to find out what happens to those who do. Bland ambient is just as valid as any other music, so you can't just dismiss it out of hand. You can apply your crap detector, but a good detector requires a deep understanding (and even love) of the genre.

As for self-playing patches, that is probably the most difficult approach to synthesis. Any second year student can play beeps with a keyboard or program Ableton, but designing a process that unfolds in a beautiful way (think time-lapse video of flowers blooming) takes a special kind of inspiration.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm

:sb: :sb: :sb:
He who eats with most pleasure is he who least requires sauce.
Xenophon

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:38 pm

ITT: people taking a bit of shit talking way too seriously. I made a similar joke about houseplant-core a while back and had a bunch of people sincerely upset. To me that just proves the point that most of this is about image than anything else. I mean, if the music was paramount, why make videos for every little thing you do or only post your music on youtube/instagram ? You do you, freedom of expression and all that, but I’m also going to enjoy a little shit talking because what you are doing is goofy and it annoys me how much bandwidth this stuff takes up. People can freak out and virtue signal with a good ol’ “you’re just jealous!!” But no, I really am not, having a few thousand people watch me twiddle knobs is not my ambition in life. I think when it comes down to it, it’s worth having a bit of perspective. I started making noise music at age 15 (along with playing in harsh punk/metal bands) and have had people tell me that I am not making music, or that I am terrible at making music since then. So I’m getting close to year 20 of doing the same thing but now I’m incorporating more melodic sounds using the same amount of music theory knowledge I’ve had this entire time and magically everyone likes it more. There was no point at which I thought, “Oh no someone on the internet doesn’t like what I’m doing I guess I’ll stop.” Or “oh, I better change my music so that people know I have perfect pitch and can identify jazz chords” because I like what I do. Point being is if you are making music for people you don’t know on the internet and it’s not paying the bills and it doesn’t sound good, I hope you actually like the shit you are making enough to withstand minor criticism from someone you don’t know.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Getting lost in the critical commentary in this thread is much more entertaining than that YouTube channel...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Seeing musicians on twitch with gear obscured just jamming by themselves is super cringey to me for the very reasons coolshirtdog spelled out. Showing what your hands are up to has some educational value, but people watching... not for me. Music for image may have some virtue, somewhere... but seriously, who stops things they enjoy when met with criticism which isn't fact just opinion? Real gatekeeping is institutions set up that keep good work from surfacing because people weren't willing to ego stroke narcissists or be abused by worse. That ain't happening here as far as I can tell.
Lifestyle blog followers are welcome in modular, I mean I see them as a net positive as they give money which might otherwise go to something fleeting like overpriced fast fashion to manufacturers here who do solid work and help people create great sonic
experiences. Music really shouldn't be a safe space free of criticism imo. Hate speech and inciting violence is one thing and clearly wrong to me, but certain genres still exist that do just that so maybe most people won't agree.

A lot of my tracks aren't recorded because I like them or didn't want to go through the hassle of mastering and don't care that much about musical validation from humans. Jamming with people is the goal, but maybe my brain is broken and seeing likes should make me feel something I don't. Animals on the other hand, well I need that type of validation for sure and when my cats dig a jam or have an odd look when the bass is rumbling then all is good.

Edited for clarity, just my low value opinions but didn't want to needlessly offend. Much love and stay safe everyone.
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”