"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by Boodaleechees » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:27 pm

" Music really shouldn't be a safe space beyond outright hateful/violent acts."

Say what now?

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Re: "Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing ambient modular synth community"

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:29 pm

I mis-worded that, apologies. Barring Hate speech or inciting violence I don't think music should have any boundaries as to what people can and can't say when criticizing things they don't like. Some might even disagree with that though.
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm

There are no boundaries, but if people choose to say things that piss other people off, they are going to get a reaction. Its not about the current mania for being socio-politically correct, its just human nature :)

marxicle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marxicle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm

bad thread gets worse

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:49 pm

:agonizer:
This is my favorite thread atm.
Of course, I could listen to Eric complain all day, about
anything really.

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 pm

marxicle wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm
bad thread gets worse
I've actually found it quite inspiring and will be devoting future wiggles to producing bland, ambient, self-playing patches, which I will then record for long periods, post to YouTube and link to from here, if only to piss certain people off :twisted: :sb: :twisted:
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 am

Thought by the thread title, this would be a playlist of nice ambient to play in the background while at home.
Not sure exactly what Ambient is myself? I like to make relaxing music I call Ambient, others may call it something else.
My hats off to those that can make those self morphing patches. I was never able to get very far with my modular. An art form that eludes me.

Some of my relaxing background music, made with an old 1969 modular and a Sound Blaster.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:55 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:26 am
Modzak. Courtesy of two rows of Mutable Instruments and Make Noise patched with matching cables and aided by Elektron. All very original. Pleasant Modzak though.
Yes! Nailed it.

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 am

Reading though this thread felt like such a waste of time honestly, prior to having stumbled on that Song of The Distant Ocean by CZ Rider which really justified the minutes I can't get back, really profound work, powerful and emotional on many levels. I also was able to more or less guess every poster's join date (on mobile; not shown) and came to conclusion I can't especially stand the 2019-2020 contributions while three-four from vets felt like good ol' times, you can normally spot these on in the wild by less “please everyone” vocabulary utilizing words like “shit” and “balls” masterfully placed to emphasize a point. Fog Door said if you post something that pisses other people off, you are going to get a reaction, well most stuff here did so here's mine.

When you become too pedantic about other people disliking things, that's where all fun is ruined. Going as far as to say mass-manufactured poop lollipop top-40 pop hits have their place as someone put an effort into producing the product on the previous page has reached the new heights of making politically correct family friendly 0+ age group noncontroversial statements, I'd rather stick to members only threads with people old enough to have mastered some sarcasm and giggle at their snark & wittiness than mostaucheless modular sea cadets tryna school Eric Barbour and give OG Scrotum Smasher sea Wolf originator a lesson in manners & public behavior – geez, like I want to cancel my MW subscription, when has all the fun evaporated from the place?

An example of a good reply making Muffs Muffs would be (quoting TV series “Friends”) something along the lines of “He's gonna be glad you don't have barnacles on your butt”... albeit maybe reworked to fit in a context. Say, if you disagree with an initial post you could've went like “Got any new barnacles on your butt, Mr. Metasonix? :miley:” – yes, edgy 'n nasty of sort, but more in a vein that MW used to be about, not this forced smile faux comaraderie of “let's go all hug! god forbid expressing an opinion! say only nice things and the world/planet earth will flourish! :hyper:

I honestly would not be surprised if sometime later this year one will get banned for a bleeding anus smilie mid-text. Even at times like this when it indeed does ooze from all the forced “see how nice of a guy I am, see: never subversive, just all white & fluffly. extra-cuddly and affable!” :hug:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 am

CZ Rider wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 am
Some of my relaxing background music, made with an old 1969 modular and a Sound Blaster.
Wow! I love it!

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 am

radiokoala wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 am
mostaucheless modular sea cadets tryna school Eric Barbour and give OG Scrotum Smasher sea Wolf originator a lesson in manners & public behavior
Get lost in the sounds of YouTube's growing BUTTPROBE community

as a besweatered arm and lovely hand tenderly and hesitantly reaches
for the REAM control...
ButtProbe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:45 am

+1 for turning this into a 'post your ambient sessions' thread.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 am

It’s hard to get beyond the presumptuous tag line of that channel...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:51 am

i did a track last night with some anxious arpeggios from bishops miscellaney over an algo on braids that i modulated to make it sound like panicked humanoids screaming into the vacuum of space, does that count?

parasabda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parasabda » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:30 am

Fog Door wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 pm
Wait a minute though, wasn't the OP commenting on these videos from a modular synthesis point of view rather than a musical one? That's how I read it. Whether or not these videos contain any worthwhile/interesting synthesis is a considerably narrower debate :)
Sure it would be more helpful to look at it from a modular point of view but then you would have to get specific, because what is interesting in modular wildly varies. As far as i'm concerned interesting synthesis is always just one patch-point away. Just because there isn't distortion or complex oscillators or a great deal modulation or even audio rate FM modulation of a thru zero oscillator hard synced to a sine wave with variable wave folding that is ring modulated to a euclidian stepped LFO curve reduced to 8bit resolution doesn't mean its not interesting. Sometimes a simple change in context is interesting enough, or the aesthetic approach. Even looking at my own work, I feel inspired by these popular modular videos even though I detest boring rings into clouds patches, trendy video production (shrubbery and coffee mugs and the knobs kinda thing everyone is crazy about), and prefer to get more hands on. If anything it has inspired me to put myself out there on the tube and to maybe prove that more can be done with rings and clouds. Its much better then having people disinterested all together. Otherwise you can only generalize too much and say something like "ambient modular synth youtube videos = boring and uninspiring".

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:01 am

because what is interesting in modular wildly varies
It does indeed, although what constitutes interesting synthesis is far less subjective than what constitutes interesting "music". I'm talking generally here not specifically to the subject videos, but If sounds are present that can be achieved by simply powering up a standard hardware synth, then that would probably not contain any interesting modular synthesis content. That's not to say fantastic electronic music cannot be made with the most basic synthesis imaginable, it certainly can, but within the context of the Modular Synth General Discussion section of this forum, the synthesis element, from a technical viewpoint rather than a musical one, can surely be discussed with some degree of objectivity. Irrelevant anyway, as judging from the testimonials in this thread from those who know him, it seems the OP was likely just being mean and hating on the music :doh:

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 am

People seem to forget that a modular synth is just a synth you can choose the individual parts for. It doesn't imply being experimental or particularly complex. Many soft synths are capable of more complex synthesis than most modular systems I've seen. Serum can probably do far more complexity than most Buchla/Doepfer systems, and there's 14 year old dubstep producers using objectively more complex synthesis methods than many prestigious modular synthesists.

Some people don't care about experimenting with complex synthesis. Some people just want a specific sound or workflow. If you wanted a simple monosynth but with a specific oscillator and filter, modular might be the only way to achieve that.

But keep the irrational whinging coming, it makes for good reading. I'm sure those kids will get off your modular lawn eventually.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 am
Many soft synths are capable of more complex synthesis than most modular systems I've seen. Serum can probably do far more complexity than most Buchla/Doepfer systems, and there's 14 year old dubstep producers using objectively more complex synthesis methods than many prestigious modular synthesists.
i cant quote this for truth enough...really....

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 am

Ah, so there are beer-and-beef-fart red-suspenders-and-corn-cob-pipe brigade representatives here. No web forum is complete without that subset of cellar dwellers.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:22 am

Boodaleechees wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 am
Ah, so there are beer-and-beef-fart red-suspenders-and-corn-cob-pipe brigade representatives here. No web forum is complete without that subset of cellar dwellers.
I have no idea what any of that means.

Boodaleechees
is banned
is banned

Post by Boodaleechees » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 am

luketeaford wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:22 am
Boodaleechees wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 am
I have no idea what any of that means.
It's a motorcycle forum reference. Since participating more actively here I'm finding some very similar characters/behaviors/viewpoints. It's not all that surprising since, like with any enthusiasm, people come to it from all walks of life.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 am
Hey metasonix why don't you go shit in a box and record that :PPPPP
But don't forget to pipe that recording through an Eventide Big Valhalla Sky granular shimmer multichorus infinite reverb to give your shit that lush texture everybody loves so much :guinness:

Edit: Man I just realized what I did with that emoji here...

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:06 pm

"Get lost in the sounds of YouTube’s growing rings into clouds community"

ftfy

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:14 pm

i can't fucking stand shimmer reverbs plastered over the entire track. if i'm gonna draw any kind of line on artist maturity, that's the one. i don't care if you publish an entire 3 hour album of a pure sin wave droning on interspersed with sample of cats rustling about in their litterboxes. just don't put shimmer on it.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:21 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:14 pm
i can't fucking stand shimmer reverbs plastered over the entire track. if i'm gonna draw any kind of line on artist maturity, that's the one. i don't care if you publish an entire 3 hour album of a pure sin wave droning on interspersed with sample of cats rustling about in their litterboxes. just don't put shimmer on it.

Yeah, those huge artificial sounding reverb's are the soy sauce of electronic music. Sounds boring? Just pour a huge reverb all over it.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”