What’s the deal with all the resonance?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

LDT
The Modu-Lars

What’s the deal with all the resonance?

Post by LDT » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 am

For years, I have been wondering everytime I have been on youtube and watched a demo, tutorial, jam or whatever: What in the world makes people want to use such excruciating amounts of resonance in such persistent ways? (And here I am in particular thinking of high resonance, with the cutoff being modulated by an envelope.)
Is it just because 90% of people are so new to synths, that they are still in the oh-wow-my-synth-can-go-djiiiiiiooooooouuuuurrrrrwww phase, or .... - well, what do You think? Is it something that people grow out of, eventually?
Years ago, I dismissed it as a passing trend, but decades later, so many people still behave like djiiourw-djiio-djiiourw is the foundation of synthesized sound. :despair: :hmm:

lootacow
Common Wiggler

Re: What’s the deal with all the resonance?

Post by lootacow » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 am

Could be the sound that people want. You never know.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 am

What about sweeping the full pitch range of an oscillator? Once for each waveform! :omg:

Well, it shows off the tool. Not in a musical way, sure, but it might still be informative and helpful to some.
An exclusive, all Alesis Ion track! The best synth ever made. :guinness:

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Post by ari ellis » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:17 am

I think the same thing happens in guitar pedal world: when people get a new piece of gear, they often set controls either all the way on or all the way off. So resonance becomes a matter of "yes resonance" or "no resonance," and when they pick "yes resonance," oh boy, do they get them some resonance.

Question: are acid filter squelches the "Wonderwall" of the modular synthesizer?

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 am

Similar to saying what’s with all the distortion with guitar? Some “grow out of it”, some never do it to begin with, and some make it a part of their signature sound. On the demo/tutorial front, prob the need to show how far it can go, assuming folks realize it can always be dialed back.
Moog Matriarch drone - driven by Sinfonion; all else is Matriarch with a touch of EQ and Limiting in DAW.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:36 am

Cracking res up allows you to really feel the character of a filter. What i mean:

Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:04 am

Filters have unique resonance behavior, which often sounds really cool and interesting. Even if you don't like it in isolation, hearing interesting resonance makes me think "what would happen if I ran that through X or Y"? Resonant filters into distortion, or reverb, or whatever else. Demos are always going to sound wack because they isolate one feature without musical context.

And also, acid.

Xomrys
Common Wiggler

Post by Xomrys » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:39 am

For a demo it makes sense. you can hear the character of the filter and its distortions. Most filters sound very similar with zero resonance.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:34 pm

Yes, I totally get it when it is a filter demo. But for everything else......???
Anyway, I guess I just felt like wondering out loud.
Djiouuw-Djiouuwwrrr🥳🙈

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Same reason you hear so much reverb. New composers going after the big, obvious sounds. After a while, we learn restraint. All instruments have resonance of some sort--but it's usually best when it is more like an eq curve.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 am

i have more distortions in my cases than filters, i love low freq cut-off Q wth as much res as it can handle before self-oscillation. i am also a metalhead. from my perspective ppl dont use enough res/grrr. YMMV :miley:

id focus more on doing your own thing that and kind of memetc group think, theres also the possibility of a Baader-Meinhof Syndrome component. once u notice it in one place u start to see it everywhere. but im guessing

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:21 pm

neumedi wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:33 am
Similar to saying what’s with all the distortion with guitar? Some “grow out of it”, some never do it to begin with, and some make it a part of their signature sound. On the demo/tutorial front, prob the need to show how far it can go, assuming folks realize it can always be dialed back.
Yeah - I was never a fan of huge resonance or nonstop guitar distortion. Both give me an earache.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:27 pm

@jorg
You got an ear ache? Ear ache my eye! ;)

Going waaaay back for this, but still instantly popped in Thanks for the memory.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Totally agree. While I do understand the whole keyboard tracking faux-osc shtick, the self-resonating filter demos are a goddamn hateful stab in my ears.

edit: also my cat hates them.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:52 pm

LDT wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 am
For years, I have been wondering everytime I have been on youtube and watched a demo, tutorial, jam or whatever: What in the world makes people want to use such excruciating amounts of resonance in such persistent ways? (And here I am in particular thinking of high resonance, with the cutoff being modulated by an envelope.)
Is it just because 90% of people are so new to synths, that they are still in the oh-wow-my-synth-can-go-djiiiiiiooooooouuuuurrrrrwww phase, or .... - well, what do You think? Is it something that people grow out of, eventually?
Years ago, I dismissed it as a passing trend, but decades later, so many people still behave like djiiourw-djiio-djiiourw is the foundation of synthesized sound. :despair: :hmm:
... most consumers are easily amused... comes down to a big old jumbo sized barrel of this ....

5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am

KSS wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:27 pm
@jorg
You got an ear ache? Ear ache my eye! ;)

Going waaaay back for this, but still instantly popped in Thanks for the memory.
That's my wife's favorite song lately. And it gives me an earache. ;-)

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 pm

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 pm

What're you tryin' to do? Tickle me?

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:06 am

Nah, just figured some folks out there haven’t heard it, thought they should have the experience with their own ear flaps. On a late night semi drunken posting spree for some reason after a weird day.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:23 am

There are some cases where the filter is much more a part of the sound of a given synth than maybe it would be in other types of synths. It's also what "slutty keyboard gearmongers" value the most. :lol:

In the case of the former, you wouldn't have a 303 without its filter (and the hollow square wave). So anything that claims to be a 303, 303 clone, or inspired by 303 synth needs to have that. Of course all demos are going to exploit it to show that it does what people hope it will. I'd say a MiniMoog might fall into that category, as well as some others.

Also, you might want to think that you're above it, but you know deep down, you want to touch and rotate the large candy-like knob.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Xomrys
Common Wiggler

Post by Xomrys » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am

It's funny, as with most 'voices' I use zero resonance.

But in processing the voices, for instance treating them before going to an FX send (delay or reverb), I'll often use a bandpass filter with lots of resonance.

There are also ways to make resonance sound more 'acoustic' and less of an obvious effect. Like feeding back the output into the cutoff CV (self-filter-FM), if done right and in subtle ways this can sound like a horn.

Also, using filters almost in self-oscillation -- the cutoff frequency tracks the input pitch, but there's no envelope, so the filter just interacts in a nonlinear way with harmonics of the input signal. It has an effect on the sound but you don't notice that it's a resonant filter. Sometimes a very subtle LFO can then bring an interesting animation to the sound.

So resonance has a lot of uses beyond the obvious one.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 am

I also don't use a ton of resonance most of the time. If I'm doing an acid line though, it obviously matters and gets used.

Now, if you have a self-oscillating filter with tracking, then of course you're going to want to have that knob all the way up in this case too. (I know that's not the point of this thread, but...) If you have a nice controlled "ping/ring/whatever" input, then you don't really need an envelope for this to be useful. A little FM, and you're set. Once again, beyond the initial argument.

I don't know, I think if used in the right context, even some screaming Polivoks or Wasp resonance can be just the thing. Maybe tamed a bit post-filter though? Everything in context and moderation I guess.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Ffffffreddy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ffffffreddy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm

I thought this was going to be complaining about filters that are pre-fed a peak bump with the res set @ zero.
That kind of irks me, but I would be a liar if I said the resulting sound wasn't usually pleasant.

I use a LPG with no res at least half the time in my patches so I understand not always wanting it.
But also sometimes I am like 'weeeeeeeeearmmmmmmth' with that shit so, whatever.

But it seems a little like complaining about wah-wah pedals after watching wah-wah pedal demos on youtube, you know?

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 am

Personally I love me a good resonant filter sweep. And how the resonance behaves is what distinguishes a lot of filters from each other. What would an MS20 filter be without the resonance, for example? filter demos, you're gonna need to hear the resonance. As far as within the context of a track, I don't know what kind of music you listen to... but if we're talking about amateur jam sessions on youtube, yeah, there's gonna be some quality control issues there. Maybe bang on the ceiling with a broom: hey kid! Turn down that damn RESONANCE!!

PlateOfShrimp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PlateOfShrimp » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:26 pm

I find it to be a more psychedelic sound generally. Throw some delay on it and a filter without resonance can't compete. Easy to go into cheese territory, but I could never hate on resonance.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”