essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 am

what are the essentials to add to a system using a Behringer neutron? (I only have $300 to spend so I mean ESSENTIALS to add)

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Re: halp meh

Post by xcc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 am

Tough one. Maybe look at the chromatic Dreadbox modules for some effects and modulation. https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/chromatic-modules/

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:54 am

Use it on it's own a while, once you know it you will know what you most need to add

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 am

If you shop carefully you can score a used Disting and an Ornament & Crime for $300 and get a shitload of functionality in two modules.

Not particularly sexy, but very capable and value-laden.
Last edited by BlinkyLights on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 am

Or a dual function generator like a used Befaco Rampage for around $200, sort of a budget alternative to a Maths, and then get something else with the remaining $100...

Or get an actual Maths, for $250 or so. Very very capable. Hard to go wrong with, frankly. If you only got a Maths at first it's fine.

You can add to it later, but "just" a Maths can do a lot.

Food for thought. There are many ways to go about this, and most of them are equally valid.

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am

Do you also need a powered case? Even a small one will chew up some of your $300 budget.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am

All secondhand. A maths, Uzeus power and diy up a rack. You might have change from $300 for cables.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am

As was mentioned, power, power distribution, and a means of encasing or racking these neato modules being recommended. That ate up $300 bucks all by itself, unless a crappy sub-par setup is used. One of those 84HP unfinished/powered Doepfer boxes start at $269 plus tax. So there went the big of $300 bucks .... we've got us a cab and power, now what? OP is going to need more couch nickels.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:40 am

so if i were to sell it and therefore have $600, could I make an actual modular synth with it? (something like this (

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am

BlinkyLights wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:07 am
Or a dual function generator like a used Befaco Rampage for around $200, sort of a budget alternative to a Maths, and then get something else with the remaining $100...

Or get an actual Maths, for $250 or so. Very very capable. Hard to go wrong with, frankly. If you only got a Maths at first it's fine.

You can add to it later, but "just" a Maths can do a lot.

Food for thought. There are many ways to go about this, and most of them are equally valid.
wait so I can just have a maths standalone?

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 am

Let me be the one to say that with that topic title you should get instant veteran wiggler status. Reshpeck!
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:07 am

strettara wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:05 am
Let me be the one to say that with that topic title you should get instant veteran wiggler status. Reshpeck!
*insert strange laughing noise that my VCV rack patch seems to make*

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 am

after reading what BlinkyLights said I have another question: sO cAn I uSe MaThS bY iT'S sElF ?

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am

Without knowing if you have a case or anything else, I’d say essential would be a keystep. A second Neutron would also be in budget.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:20 am

keycat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 am
after reading what BlinkyLights said I have another question: sO cAn I uSe MaThS bY iT'S sElF ?
what do you mean can you use it by itself? will it still function in a case with the correct power supply and patch cables? yes.

you might want to spend some time researching what it can do bY iT'S sElF

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:40 am

you would need some sort of rack and power* - but other than that you would use Maths together with the Neutron you already own

a simple case/rack can be built with 2 pieces of wood (use wood screws to screw modules directly to the wood) and a relatively inexpensive power supply - frequency central ones are not too expensive - and available built on ebay - if you can buy a wall wart with it as they can be difficult to find

but that will still knock $100 off your budget - or a cardboard case (see MylarMelodies make one on youtube)

otherwise the nifty case is quite decent apparantly - see the review from Molten Modular on youtube

If I were you I'd try and save up a bit more so you can sort out a case and a very worthwhile 1st module such as Maths (as in addition to the Neutron it will be interesting enough to keep you busy for a few months)

check out the Maths Illustrated manual for patching suggestions - working your way through it slowly a couple of times is really worthwhile
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am

+1 Maths — I did pretty much exactly that w/ my neutron, with a small skiff case, and went from there.
Disting and an Ornament & Crime
Also an option—lots + lots of types of functionality to explore.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:01 pm

So - is this 300$ all you're going to have for this endeavor - for the rest of your life? Or what time period are we talking about? Maybe it's 300$ this month, and then maybe 250$ next month, or 3 months from now? You should realize that you don't need to get everything at once. Quite a lot of us have 10K-20K$ sized systems that we built up maybe 300$ at a time. Patience, young keycat dude!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 pm

sduck wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:01 pm
So - is this 300$ all you're going to have for this endeavor - for the rest of your life? Or what time period are we talking about? Maybe it's 300$ this month, and then maybe 250$ next month, or 3 months from now? You should realize that you don't need to get everything at once. Quite a lot of us have 10K-20K$ sized systems that we built up maybe 300$ at a time. Patience, young keycat dude!
300 this month and then 600 in a year from now :waah:

keycat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keycat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am
All secondhand. A maths, Uzeus power and diy up a rack. You might have change from $300 for cables.
a second hand maths is already $300 in its self

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:39 pm

I'd get an overlay that also has the shift functions printed on it next to one of the great modules already mentioned here.
Ps; This is an affordable case: https://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/EUR/Do ... OcEALw_wcB

Pps; Assume you already have a keyboard and/or sequencer to control it.
Gaun Yersel!

Ffffffreddy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ffffffreddy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm

Another VCA and filter is the first thing I would add, get two voices going.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Ffffffreddy wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm
Another VCA and filter is the first thing I would add, get two voices going.
Yeah, going more int the timbral route, vs. pure functionality—another filter could add a lot of character to the pair of Curtis-style chips. Take the VCO signals out of the patch bay (before they hit the Neutron's filter) and then into an external VCA / VCF (or LPG) of your choice, and you've got a whole range of timbral stuff to explore.

A Filter8 for example could bring a whole range of things to the table, including pingable drum/perc sounds, LFOs, an additional voice when in self-oscillation, etc.

And in the low-hanging-fruit realm, stackables and/or mults could be good, too, just to bring more self-patching possibilities. Twice the sample and holds, twice the noise signals, multiple clocks if you're using a square LFO to clock stuff, etc.

diggida
Common Wiggler

Post by diggida » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Honestly, for $300 you might be best off getting another semi-modular. They are WAY more bang for the buck. 2 Neutrons is way more functionality than 1. Or a Crave or any of the other Behringer semi-modular offerings would give you a lot of functionality. As everyone has said, the cost of startup isn't cheap in Eurorack.

Personally, I started with a Moog Grandmother and then bought a TipTop HEK and started putting some modules in it...hit like $800 in pretty quick on the modular. Then grabbed a second hand Neutron for $220 and it added SO much flexibility to my setup for so little money its almost dumb NOT to get one, haha. Having the GM and the Neutron covers a lot of the normal stuff you I'd need and then my modular rack can focus on different types of functions.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 am

keycat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am
a second hand maths is already $300 in its self
The thing with secondhand is its not all available all of the time. Depends where you are in the world also. A brand new Maths in the USA is $290 and you should be able to get 10% discount off that. Secondhand Maths will be $200 or less. Obviously on a tight budget you ignore the $300 secondhand Maths and wait for the decently priced one to show up. It wont take long. Same with a Uzeus power supply. Do some googling on DIY racks. Its possible a month from now you may be sat in front of it all and under budget.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”