essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 am
Location: Brooklyn | NY | USA

Re: halp meh

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:12 am

diggida wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Honestly, for $300 you might be best off getting another semi-modular.
yup

User avatar
ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Austria, Innsbruck

Re: halp meh

Post by ETP » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 am

What do you miss?

keycat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: halp meh

Post by keycat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am

ETP wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 am
What do you miss?
not sure what you mean here

diggida
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: halp meh

Post by diggida » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 am
keycat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am
All secondhand. A maths, Uzeus power and diy up a rack. You might have change from $300 for cables.
a second hand maths is already $300 in its self
The thing with secondhand is its not all available all of the time. Depends where you are in the world also. A brand new Maths in the USA is $290 and you should be able to get 10% discount off that. Secondhand Maths will be $200 or less. Obviously on a tight budget you ignore the $300 secondhand Maths and wait for the decently priced one to show up. It wont take long. Same with a Uzeus power supply. Do some googling on DIY racks. Its possible a month from now you may be sat in front of it all and under budget.
If you see a Maths for $200, lemme know. All the ones I’ve found are $280+ tax and shipping and fees and dowry. 🤣

keycat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: halp meh

Post by keycat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:04 pm

diggida wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 am
keycat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am
All secondhand. A maths, Uzeus power and diy up a rack. You might have change from $300 for cables.
a second hand maths is already $300 in its self
The thing with secondhand is its not all available all of the time. Depends where you are in the world also. A brand new Maths in the USA is $290 and you should be able to get 10% discount off that. Secondhand Maths will be $200 or less. Obviously on a tight budget you ignore the $300 secondhand Maths and wait for the decently priced one to show up. It wont take long. Same with a Uzeus power supply. Do some googling on DIY racks. Its possible a month from now you may be sat in front of it all and under budget.
If you see a Maths for $200, lemme know. All the ones I’ve found are $280+ tax and shipping and fees and dowry. 🤣
if you want a LEM 218 (I know its not eurorack but it can fit well with eurorack) here's a good price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buchla-218-L ... SwjeJdx-YL

smartwentcrazy
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Re: halp meh

Post by smartwentcrazy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:37 pm

I really can't recommend enough just playing with the Neutron and seeing what you want it to do that it cannot currently perform - be that sound, or flexibility. I just recently started from complete scratch a few pieces at a time, also working with a very much less patch friendly standalone synth (a Nord Micro Modular), and I probably spent your whole budget before I was really able to do much of anything - a used Zeus power supply and rails and patch cables to get the whole thing cooking was around $150 in already. With that tight of a budget, I cannot stress enough finding what you hear that the Neutron won't currently do, or conversely finding out what its really easy to use the Neutron for, and avoid buying those pieces at all costs - for example, my Nord won't do a CV out at all, so no good using that for sequencing external gear, but it does work well within its own system, and it makes a great flexible kick ass filter bank - so, I'm working with what I have.

User avatar
dekemcculo
Common Wiggler
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: halp meh

Post by dekemcculo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:19 pm

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech ... ase-625196 i built this one with uzeus and tiptop rails. cost like around $100 new I think (and maybe you can catch a used uzeus from someone upgrading their own case/power situation). Then my strategy would be DIY. If I were starting from scratch I'd consider just building NonlinearCircuits modules to keep it cheap. Not familiar with the neutron but obviously you'll wanna balance with things you're missing—lots of weird NLC modules that could be fun to pair with it (sometimes it takes some looking to find musical demos but they're out there lol).

User avatar
Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:20 am
Location: CNX and MAN

Re: halp meh

Post by Muff McMuff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:17 am

Reasonably priced secondhand Maths are out there but its like waiting for a bus. None come for half an hour then three arrive at once. There was one not long ago on the Muffs BST $200. Ebay.com recently S170 (priced as 5366 thai baht in my screenshot). My Maths cost about $226, Uzeus $55 and diy rack no more than $10. I bought a bunch of secondhand cables too. Cheap bundles appear now and again.
.
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 12.05.29.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 12.05.29.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 270 times
.
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 12.07.32.png

keycat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: halp meh

Post by keycat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am

neutron broke; unfixable.

diggida
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: halp meh

Post by diggida » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:47 pm

keycat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am
neutron broke; unfixable.
What do you mean? Whats wrong with it? How do you know its unfixable?

keycat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: halp meh

Post by keycat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:35 pm

diggida wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:47 pm
keycat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 am
neutron broke; unfixable.
What do you mean? Whats wrong with it? How do you know its unfixable?
b r o k e n c I r c u i t r y. MY 3 YEAR ODL SISTER SNAPPED CIRCUITS IN HALF AFTER I ACCIDENTALLY LEFT MY NEUTRON OPEN.

User avatar
Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3793
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: SF bay area

Re: essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm

My sympathies. Please attach gory pix of busted circuit boards. Just to satisfy our morbid curiosity.

keycat
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 am

Re: essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by keycat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm
My sympathies. Please attach gory pix of busted circuit boards. Just to satisfy our morbid curiosity.
I put it in the bin

SIN_formant_A1472V
Common Wiggler
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 am

Re: essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:04 pm

I'd buy any of the older Disting modules, they'll give you a variety of functions in a single module. I also second the Maths.
And I also second the opinion of getting a second semi-modular. You might want to save another $100 USD and grab a Minibrute 2. I love my minibrute 2, it complements my eurorack nicely and despite it being so "cheap", it's insane what it is capable of, plus it can take a rackbrute upgrade later on.

Hope that helps with your choice.

diggida
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by diggida » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 pm

keycat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm
My sympathies. Please attach gory pix of busted circuit boards. Just to satisfy our morbid curiosity.
I put it in the bin
Oh man, that’s rough. My condolences.

User avatar
ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Austria, Innsbruck

Re: halp meh

Post by ETP » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 am

keycat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am
ETP wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 am
What do you miss?
not sure what you mean here
When I look at the synth, I would miss attenuators, VCAs, mixers, S&H. Utility moduls like that....

User avatar
col
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: essentials to add to a Behringer Neutron

Post by col » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:48 pm

You could have bought a soldering iron for $10 and un-soldered all the pots, jacks, capacitors etc.. and used them for some SDIY.

User avatar
Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7271
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am
Location: Captain Of Outer Space

Re: halp meh

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:15 pm

diggida wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 am
keycat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Muff McMuff wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 am
All secondhand. A maths, Uzeus power and diy up a rack. You might have change from $300 for cables.
a second hand maths is already $300 in its self
The thing with secondhand is its not all available all of the time. Depends where you are in the world also. A brand new Maths in the USA is $290 and you should be able to get 10% discount off that. Secondhand Maths will be $200 or less. Obviously on a tight budget you ignore the $300 secondhand Maths and wait for the decently priced one to show up. It wont take long. Same with a Uzeus power supply. Do some googling on DIY racks. Its possible a month from now you may be sat in front of it all and under budget.
If you see a Maths for $200, lemme know. All the ones I’ve found are $280+ tax and shipping and fees and dowry. 🤣
I have three of them. How many you want? (PM plz). Got a Rubicon2 FS as well ... and some other stuffage.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”