They weren't kidding when they said options were plentiful

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 pm

syzygywell wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:
bwhittington wrote:5U is for boys and Euro is for girls. It really is that simple. :lol:

+1 on the large penis aspect. 8_)
:doh: well that explains why I went 5U
in 5U, even the ladies have Big Knobs. :party:

Cheers,
Brian

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. All this time I labored under the false assumption that 5U was for the geratric croud. :hihi:
:youkids:
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:35 pm

bwhittington wrote:I would respectfully suggest not heeding decaying.sine's advice, at least initially. The man is a sick synthesis masochist who wears t-shirts emblazoned with unicorn penises for goodness sake. :lol: He's not to be trusted. There really isn't any reason to start messing with adaptor cables after your first $1500-2000 purchase.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Only teasing you mr. d.sine!
He does not tell a lie.

Ahem, that's Dr. d.sine my dear unicorn master. 8_)
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm

I've been thinking :deadbanana:

Why don't you get an ikea rast rack and one of the new power supplies like flight's power module or tiptop's power, some busboards and populate that bad boy with some euro modules of interest.

Grab some MOTM rails from synthtech.com and rack mount them and grab some MOTM stuff. Modcan B will fit these as well.

These allow really low price entry points with nice quality stuff. I think you said you can DIY so you can get a power supply from ebay for your MOTM and a distro board from synthtech or Suit and Tie Guy.

If you want to go bananas, modcan A fit in the cyndustries six pacs, which have popped up used every now and then. Alternatively, you could make a little wooden rack use STG distros and DIY a PSU.

There are lots of good alternatives to get you started in most formats that reduce the initial cost. Then you can play with many things to help you pick your poison.

I'm mostly thinking out loud but wanted to throw some ideas your way.
Brian

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:11 am

transferpoint wrote:whitewulfe... just get a couple of serge panels and call it a day. You'll thank me.
I'm curious as to why you're recommending a couple of serge panels. I would only be able to purchase one M-class on my current budget, which would be a fairly limited setup compared to the 15-20 (or more, if resourceful) MU of modules.

I do understand that no matter what, my setup over time will expand, and in fact I have possible plans for a Virus TI2, Vostok, Future Retro XS (and Revolution), and even dare I say an electric guitar (*worried expression at guitar*), and I'd rather expand a few hundred dollars at a time as opposed to $2k or so a shot per expansion (for the modular anyways), especially since odds are not all purchases made will be retained.
decaying.sine wrote:I've been thinking :deadbanana:

Why don't you get an ikea rast rack and one of the new power supplies like flight's power module or tiptop's power, some busboards and populate that bad boy with some euro modules of interest.

Grab some MOTM rails from synthtech.com and rack mount them and grab some MOTM stuff. Modcan B will fit these as well.

These allow really low price entry points with nice quality stuff. I think you said you can DIY so you can get a power supply from ebay for your MOTM and a distro board from synthtech or Suit and Tie Guy.

If you want to go bananas, modcan A fit in the cyndustries six pacs, which have popped up used every now and then. Alternatively, you could make a little wooden rack use STG distros and DIY a PSU.

There are lots of good alternatives to get you started in most formats that reduce the initial cost. Then you can play with many things to help you pick your poison.

I'm mostly thinking out loud but wanted to throw some ideas your way.
Hmmm, the IKEA rasts would make quite the inexpensive casing at $20 a piece, although it appears that they're discontinued? And by the looks of things, with those end tables it would be quite possible to build them for either of the 3U or the 5U.

I think the main thing I have to contemplate right now is what to start with. The PAiA 9700S looks incredibly tempting, especially given what is included for it's $532 USD and change price, as it would allow me to gauge where I would like to go with such with minimal investment. On the other hand, if I was careful I could build a similar rig in 5U through DIY and/or used purchases.

I think part of the problem is that each format is that there are so many offerings that are quite appealing. Okay, I'll admit it, especially euro with all those delicious Harvestman and WMD modules...

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 am

whitewulfe wrote:I think the main thing I have to contemplate right now is what to start with. The PAiA 9700S looks incredibly tempting, especially given what is included for it's $532 USD and change price, as it would allow me to gauge where I would like to go with such with minimal investment. On the other hand, if I was careful I could build a similar rig in 5U through DIY and/or used purchases.
I would strongly suggest skipping the PAiA. Granted this is based on my experiences with the 4700 series 30 years ago, but they are good for teaching electronics, troubleshooting, frustration and disappointment. While it's possible to do serious music with them, I don't consider them to be serious instruments. Based on the other instruments you already have, I would hate to see you put off of modulars alltogether by thinking PAiA is represenative of what modulars in general have to offer.

For slightly less than twice the cost (@ $1000) the following would be a much better intro to modulars and you would have solid good quality modules to build a MU/5U system apon that you could do a lot with right away:
QPS2 $125 power
Q104 $184 midi
Q106 $195 VCO
Q107 $138 VCF
Q108 $ 97 EG
Q109 $ 92 VCA
Q110 $ 65 noise
$ 50 patchcords
$ 50 cheap DIY case

And even less money buying used!

Or for $500 to $1000 you could get a great start on a Euro system.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 am

John, I can't speak about the whole Paia range, but the 9700 filter module I had was one of my favorite modules at the time. Nothing to do with the 30 year old modules you mention. No, it's no MOTM, but as a introduction they are a great step. Building them is time consuming though, lots of soldering and wiring. LOTS.. that would be my biggest caution.

for the price it can't be beat. each module contains multiple modules. For example, my filter had two VCF's, plus a looping AD generator, all normalled, but patchable as separate functions. It's density is as great as any system out there and the price is way less.

Plus when you factor in the new range of Paia modules out there, and the ones soon to be released, if your budget is $1000 you'll have a good machine with limitless patching opportunities. And you can get started for half that.

Scott from Paia has been on muffs recently in the frack section with some news, so he's available for questions I guess..

i've been around the block, you have too.. most of us have.. Im not going to be starting a Paia system. But for the newbs, the not so rich, and the just curious, my feeling is that Paia is a great place to start.

~Steve

bf
Buck Futter

Post by bf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:36 am

Not to be a naysayer, but I don't think it really matters what you start with as you will most likely change your setup multiple times before you figure out what you really want. :hmm:
bwhittington wrote:I feel strongly that the world just needs more unicorn penis.
a-fuckin'-men
:cgs:

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 am

dude wrote:ya'know, it would be hilarious and informative if we could do some sort of time-lapse style movies of people and their experiences/snags/module lists (bought/sold) and how they built their 'system'

clearly it wouldn't work for all, but i bet we could cull a giant amount of tendencies which could be really helpful or at least funny.
Oh snap!

This is brilliant. I can do this as my one year modular anniversary party. Mega modular planner, screenshots, and Quicktime. Stay tuned...
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 am

bf wrote:Not to be a naysayer, but I don't think it really matters what you start with as you will most likely change your setup multiple times before you figure out what you really want. :hmm:
What he said.

I've pretty much quit reading and commenting on "how should I start?" threads since it doesn't matter! Now if someone said "I'm moving to an island with no internet and no FedEx. What do I take with me?!" That would be interesting.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 am

JohnLRice wrote:I would strongly suggest skipping the PAiA. Granted this is based on my experiences with the 4700 series 30 years ago, but they are good for teaching electronics, troubleshooting, frustration and disappointment. While it's possible to do serious music with them, I don't consider them to be serious instruments. Based on the other instruments you already have, I would hate to see you put off of modulars alltogether by thinking PAiA is represenative of what modulars in general have to offer.
Ack, I think when I mentioned some of the various other pieces of gear I forgot to mention that such is on a wish list - the only thing that would qualify as a musical instrument that I own right now would be turntables and a mixer. The previously mentioned Virus TI2 and B, Vostok, Red Square, Revolution, etc are all things I wish to purchase over the next year or two. I would like to take this time to apologize about such.

As for the new, overhauled PAiA lineup, I've heard they're relatively easy to assemble (one reviewer stated approximately 40 hours -> http://www.unease.se/paiabuild.htm ), and that the new lineup is entirely different compared to their previous offerings 30 years ago.
JohnLRice wrote:For slightly less than twice the cost (@ $1000) the following would be a much better intro to modulars and you would have solid good quality modules to build a MU/5U system apon that you could do a lot with right away:
QPS2 $125 power
Q104 $184 midi
Q106 $195 VCO
Q107 $138 VCF
Q108 $ 97 EG
Q109 $ 92 VCA
Q110 $ 65 noise
$ 50 patchcords
$ 50 cheap DIY case

And even less money buying used!

Or for $500 to $1000 you could get a great start on a Euro system.
Hmmm, such is tempting, and I didn't realize one could build a 5U system quite that inexpensively. As well, even though it isn't black and possessing larger knobs and cables, euro has been fighting quite strongly in my head for a piece of the action. Odds are, in the end, euro will be at least a small portion of things.
revtor wrote:John, I can't speak about the whole Paia range, but the 9700 filter module I had was one of my favorite modules at the time. Nothing to do with the 30 year old modules you mention. No, it's no MOTM, but as a introduction they are a great step. Building them is time consuming though, lots of soldering and wiring. LOTS.. that would be my biggest caution.

for the price it can't be beat. each module contains multiple modules. For example, my filter had two VCF's, plus a looping AD generator, all normalled, but patchable as separate functions. It's density is as great as any system out there and the price is way less.

Plus when you factor in the new range of Paia modules out there, and the ones soon to be released, if your budget is $1000 you'll have a good machine with limitless patching opportunities. And you can get started for half that.

Scott from Paia has been on muffs recently in the frack section with some news, so he's available for questions I guess..

i've been around the block, you have too.. most of us have.. Im not going to be starting a Paia system. But for the newbs, the not so rich, and the just curious, my feeling is that Paia is a great place to start.
~Steve
Well, I've been around the classical block, if that counts for anything (provincial band competitions back in junior high, two different years, was told by the St. Albert Symphony's conductor (I think that's what he was at the time) I should put my name in for 3rd Oboe, well back when I was still playing that instrument... There's also some piano involved (but haven't played since moving out from the parents), and test driven a few of the synthesizers I've craved.

As for the PAiA system, I'll admit, being able to stuff 6U of racking with modules looks possible for around the $1k USD mark...
bf wrote:Not to be a naysayer, but I don't think it really matters what you start with as you will most likely change your setup multiple times before you figure out what you really want. :hmm:
Nothing wrong at all with being a "naysayer". I asked for opinions, and have gotten plenty, and a wide spectrum as well, for which I'm thankful. Many have spoken about the various pros and cons of different systems, all without coming across as zealous. I do understand that more than likely a few modules will be swapping hands, and odds are likely that with what I'm pursuing for a sound I'll be running two or three different formats (or constantly ripping things apart and re-paneling *laughs*). I've actually been going through the process of thinking about a modular synth for around three years or so (or is it four now, can't remember right now, too early in the day), and now that the various changes are occurring less frequently, it's growing to the point where money is a viable option to start throwing around (as opposed to ideas, since those, and smiles, are free).
MrBiggs wrote:What he said.

I've pretty much quit reading and commenting on "how should I start?" threads since it doesn't matter! Now if someone said "I'm moving to an island with no internet and no FedEx. What do I take with me?!" That would be interesting.
To which I'd have to ask... Does UPS/Purolator/DHL/etc go to this island? *grins* As well, is there a view to the horizon for satellite internet, powered by solar panels? ^_^

I think the threads do hold merit and value, and have used a number of them for ideas on which direction I'd like to go. It's quite clear that 5U has a massive amount of DIY attraction, as does Frac.

Oddly enough, much as I would like to pick up a modular first due to the ability to mess around with signal paths and all that, I might opt for a hard wired synth first instead. Why? Let's take the Future Retro Revolution as an example. It's fairly cheap ($763 CAD or so from Moog Audio), has a sound that I like, a build that I like, and also doubles as a sequencer and midi-cv converter. Does it have the same limitless possibilities of, say, John's 5U racking? No, but his setup is significantly more expensive than a Revolution, so I'd expect it to do different things. If I were to go the route of a Revolution first, I'd then add on (a couple of months later) some sort of modular synthesis with the remainder of my initial budget.

Like I stated in the title of this thread, the options are quite mind boggling.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am

If you want to get started cheap and get a taste of modular, since you are into DIY, you might consider the Doepfer DIY synth kit. It's a single board semi-modular synth kit.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/di ... esizerkit/

It's just a board, and doesn't include the pots, jacks, switches, wires, and a power supply. But it's got a little of everything in it. VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR. You would quickly outgrow it and want more. But it's a way to start, and a way to get your fingers into DIY to see if that feels right for you. Some people think they want to go DIY, but after trying it realize they would rather just buy modules and be making sounds rather than soldering.

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:23 pm

daverj wrote:If you want to get started cheap and get a taste of modular, since you are into DIY, you might consider the Doepfer DIY synth kit. It's a single board semi-modular synth kit.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/di ... esizerkit/

It's just a board, and doesn't include the pots, jacks, switches, wires, and a power supply. But it's got a little of everything in it. VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR. You would quickly outgrow it and want more. But it's a way to start, and a way to get your fingers into DIY to see if that feels right for you. Some people think they want to go DIY, but after trying it realize they would rather just buy modules and be making sounds rather than soldering.
Hmmm, looks intriguing. Such is inexpensive ($170 USD with the tempco option, plus supplies), and could easily be built with the larger jacks I prefer. Such would also provide me with enough information as to which part of the DIY scene I'd fall into (aka "built from scratch", "complete kit that can be done in a few hours", and "assembled pcb and I choose what kind of knobs/pots/jacks to go with and panel the darn thing" being the three main ones that come to mind). I'm going to venture a guess I'll fall somewhere in the middle, especially once I start acquiring modules (especially since time is somewhat precious, given that 50+ hours a week are eaten up by work (and transit to and from work)).

The prospect of building my own modules is one I definitely love (especially since members of this forum do produce kits featuring the sounds/parts of some of my favourite intruments, although the only one that comes fully to mind right now is the korgasmatron from Dr Sketch and Etch), but some form of balance between building/testing modules and actually producing sounds will have to be found (especially since I want to get back into some of my old hobbies from Games Workshop... I miss running with the GROTS in Red Deer). However, I can definitely say this - I'm willing to deal with extra hassles from DIY as it would make building a modular synth more affordable.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm

The revolution wouls be funm but really is not going to give you a very wide palette of sounds.. Unles syou have a few effect pedals. . I'd go for a Red Square before a revolution... Or maybe an MFB box. These are modular where as the rev is closed architecture.

~Steve

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 pm

revtor wrote:The revolution wouls be funm but really is not going to give you a very wide palette of sounds.. Unles syou have a few effect pedals. . I'd go for a Red Square before a revolution... Or maybe an MFB box. These are modular where as the rev is closed architecture.

~Steve
Hmm, glad to hear opinions of the Revolution, and I'll take a look at the Red Square. A silly question comes to mind - what about the Future Retro XS?

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:00 am

xs is awesome, by the reviews and sounds I've heard, and general quality of FR products. Its a cross btwn red square and Revolution I guess. but its a bit more $ than a rev.

includes a MIDI/CV too, so making future synth integration easy.

~Steve

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 pm

whitewulfe wrote:
Hmm, glad to hear opinions of the Revolution, and I'll take a look at the Red Square. A silly question comes to mind - what about the Future Retro XS?
It's great. Multimode filter, lots of routing options both from both the front panel and the plugs. Intuitive layout, very aggressive sound. Amazing that so much power comes from such a small box. Going against it are very touchy knobs and the lack of true ADSR envelopes.

... and I have one for sale.

/shameless plug

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm

revtor wrote:xs is awesome, by the reviews and sounds I've heard, and general quality of FR products. Its a cross btwn red square and Revolution I guess. but its a bit more $ than a rev.

includes a MIDI/CV too, so making future synth integration easy.

~Steve
Glad to hear. Spent a while listening to various demos of both the Red Square and the F-R XS, and I've discovered something - I like both of them, at least from what I've heard so far. o_O

And yes, that midi/cv option is a nice one to have for future integration. I quite like how the Future Retro solutions have multiple uses built into them at relatively inexpensive price points while still packing a punch.
Christopher Winkels wrote:It's great. Multimode filter, lots of routing options both from both the front panel and the plugs. Intuitive layout, very aggressive sound. Amazing that so much power comes from such a small box. Going against it are very touchy knobs and the lack of true ADSR envelopes.

... and I have one for sale.

/shameless plug
Hey, nothing wrong with plugging gear when it's related to the thread imo *grins* I'll have to take another look at the finances - it appears that at least two of my monitors (CRTs, not speakers) have decided to mostly die. I'll fire a pm your way after work (I'm about to head out the door).

Aggressive sound is one of the main things I'm looking for ("raw", "dirty" and "crunchy" are also words that come to mind for describing, but I digress), and I don't quite see a non "true" ADSR being a downside at this time (especially given the sacrifices/trade-offs that must be made at my current budget).

I foresee a lot of money being spent on audio in the near future.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 am

JohnLRice wrote:Well, I was quickly pulling stuff out of my ass, basically! :mrgreen:
I have so many replies to that line... :eek: :mrgreen:

Hey whitewulfe maybe a Doepfer all in one voice module or the Dark Energy would work for you.

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 am

I started with a Red Square and added Dotcom modules to it. It sounds really great--kind of crazy ARPish in some ways, but my unit's Midi-CV was flaky, and the weird noemalling scheme for the EG and VCA never worked quite right. Just a word of caution about those possible quality issues, but if they've been fixed or mine was just a lemon, it's a synth I'd still enjoy having today. If they still did them in red panels . . . !

Dark Energy . . . I'd buy the Doepfer DIY synth instead. You'd have to figure their sound is similar, and you can put the DIY synth behind the modular format panel of your choice. That last bit is so much nicer for workflow (for me) than a bunch of tabletop devices.

Cheers.
Brian

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:49 am

MindMachine wrote:I have so many replies to that line... :eek: :mrgreen:

Hey whitewulfe maybe a Doepfer all in one voice module or the Dark Energy would work for you.
*laughs* Jeez, with some of the people I work around you'd think I would've noticed that. Yeah, there are so many endless possibilities to John having said that!

As for an all-in-one kind of deal, I'm currently looking at the Future Retro XS as well as the Analogue Solutions Red Squad.. err, Red Square!! Hmm, I'll have to take a look at the Dark Energy as a possibility, although more than likely as a second or third synthesizer. I do know the Dark Energy is a tempting option once the Dark Time expander comes out.

Like most things, I'm keeping a lot of options open as you never know what kind of things will crop up, be they deals and/or whatnot.

The only disadvantage I can see for the Dark Energy (besides it being a monosynth, which I don't see much of a problem with) is that it uses 1/8" jacks.
bwhittington wrote:I started with a Red Square and added Dotcom modules to it. It sounds really great--kind of crazy ARPish in some ways, but my unit's Midi-CV was flaky, and the weird noemalling scheme for the EG and VCA never worked quite right. Just a word of caution about those possible quality issues, but if they've been fixed or mine was just a lemon, it's a synth I'd still enjoy having today. If they still did them in red panels . . . !

Dark Energy . . . I'd buy the Doepfer DIY synth instead. You'd have to figure their sound is similar, and you can put the DIY synth behind the modular format panel of your choice. That last bit is so much nicer for workflow (for me) than a bunch of tabletop devices.
Right now it's a toss-up between starting with a Red Square or an XS, and then I'll either add the semi-modular I didn't purchase or add on a starter modular setup (by starter I mean a few modules and go from there), and most likely a 5U setup.

I've heard about the various quality issues that have plagued previous revisions of Analogue Solutions gear - apparently, most of the glitches are non-existent now.

As for the Dark Energy vs DIY-synth, you do provide a valid point on the ability to take it and put it behind whatever kind of panel I wish to. I'll admit, I'm hoping to keep tabletop devices to a relative minimum (at most two keyboards, a Future Retro Revolution, a Korg Kaoss Pad (I want one sooo bad) and some kind of mixer/console). Either way, I'm certain more research is required on both fronts (DIY Synth and Dark Energy)

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 am

revtor wrote:John, I can't speak about the whole Paia range, but the 9700 filter module I had was one of my favorite modules at the time. Nothing to do with the 30 year old modules you mention. No, it's no MOTM, but as a introduction they are a great step. Building them is time consuming though, lots of soldering and wiring. LOTS.. that would be my biggest caution.

~Steve
Thanks Steve, good advice and on second reading my statements seem a little harsh and unfair. I hope Scott or others who work for PAiA weren't offended. I probably should have made it clear that I don't think the PAiA 4700 series is worth the OP's time, since I have no experience with the newer offerings! :oops:

whitewulfe

Post by whitewulfe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 am

JohnLRice wrote:Thanks Steve, good advice and on second reading my statements seem a little harsh and unfair. I hope Scott or others who work for PAiA weren't offended. I probably should have made it clear that I don't think the PAiA 4700 series is worth the OP's time, since I have no experience with the newer offerings! :oops:
Truthfully, I didn't know about the 4700 series until coming to this forum! And, at least for the time being, it's looking like I'll wind up going with some sort of Frac/Euro combination setup, starting with the PAiA 9700S... I'll just be starting with a couple of synths at first (both hardware as well as software), and then adding in the modular. Sure, software doesn't have that "real analogue sound" and that jazz, but one of the main benefits is it takes up no desk space (oh, and the fact that for less than a Dopefer Dark Energy you can get 24 instruments, of which I'll use 8 or so on a regular basis). Besides, as silly as it may sound, I like the "sound" of digital, even more so since the genres I'm hitting for have a tendency to be digital in nature.

5U is deliciously gorgeous, but isn't quite as easily portable as their Frac/Euro counterparts (and, in all honesty, I don't think I'd want to buy all those Harvestman and Flight modules only to repanel them). Unfortunately, looks don't make things easy to carry around, and after having thought about a few things for the past week and a bit, the original massive appeal DIY has isn't there as strongly as it was before - I'm pretty certain I'd be choosing to tweak knobs of modules I have that are built over the idea of slaving with a soldering iron (especially after having spent hours slaving over boxes at work!). I'll still build the occasional module, but I'm not anywhere near the thoughts of building an entire synth from kit/scratch.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Hey in the WTB/FS forum the FR XS is now for sale (as of this morning) at $800.. that is a great price. . . . . just sayin

~Steve

Rabid
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Rabid » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:21 pm

whitewulfe wrote:... The EuroRack "crazyness" has an appeal to me, however at the same time, having to decide between half a dozen VCOs and six million VCFs makes it a touch harder (at least in my mind) to decide on a smaller starter system. ...
Everyone in Euro goes through that. Make it work for you and shop the "Buy/Sale/Trade" forum. I startred with Dot Com, built a rack mount MiniMoog layout, expanded it a bit, and then discovered the joys of Euro. You can get in cheap, play around until you know what direction to take, then either move to higher end Euro or jump to a larger and more expensive format.
Sometimes I feel like the Red Green of modulars.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”