Clock divider resets with Midi->CV

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

adam s
º¿º

Clock divider resets with Midi->CV

Post by adam s » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:27 pm

I've been syncing my modular with a Machinedrum via a CV.OCD using 1/16th note ticks into a clock divider (BugBrand CLK2A in my case). I want the divider to reset with the MIDI transport play state, and have configured the CV.OCD to send a trig for that MIDI Message coming from the MD. The signals are produced as expected, but there is a problem: the clock tick immediately after the reset causes the divider to advance, so the divider's pattern is exactly 1/16th note ahead of where I want it to be. I believe the issue is caused by the fact that the clock and reset signals are not happening at *exactly* the same moment, just due to the serial nature of MIDI. When I use analog trigger sources for clock and resets, the divider works as expected (as shown in the picture)

So, I'm wondering, is this a common issue with clock dividers and MIDI, or can some dividers handle a teensy offset between clock and resets signals?

cornutt
Fig juggler

Re: Clock divider resets with Midi->CV

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:50 pm

That looks odd. Does the Machinedrum's clock not stop when it receives an MMC Stop? The clock divider apparently is generating a trigger internally off of the RESET leading edge, so once it resets, it ignores the RESET signal until the next transition. You might want to ask Bugbrand about that. Maybe there's a jumper that changes the behavior so that RESET holds the clock divider until it drops.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 am

adam s wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:27 pm
I've been syncing my modular with a Machinedrum via a CV.OCD using 1/16th note ticks into a clock divider (BugBrand CLK2A in my case). I want the divider to reset with the MIDI transport play state, and have configured the CV.OCD to send a trig for that MIDI Message coming from the MD. The signals are produced as expected, but there is a problem: the clock tick immediately after the reset causes the divider to advance, so the divider's pattern is exactly 1/16th note ahead of where I want it to be. I believe the issue is caused by the fact that the clock and reset signals are not happening at *exactly* the same moment, just due to the serial nature of MIDI. When I use analog trigger sources for clock and resets, the divider works as expected (as shown in the picture)

So, I'm wondering, is this a common issue with clock dividers and MIDI, or can some dividers handle a teensy offset between clock and resets signals?

Habe you solved that issue?
I also have a problem, and I’m using a machinedrum.
But ob my setup the divider is one step behind..
Plus I have the same problem when doing it analog..

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=244741

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:12 pm

There is another thread active right now Feb18 '21 which discusses a similar problem. The One answer is the Ladik Module recommended in that thread. It basically 're-aligns' the clock and reset signals with some control for adjustment to suit specific problems.

That thread also has "clock divider" in its title.

Edit: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=244741
Ladik U-090 http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=2857
Discussed in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=166898&hilit=du+seq&start=150

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”