What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

User avatar
Morog Far
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am

What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Morog Far » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:44 pm

Over in the If you were starting over; what would you do differently? thread I read this and started wondering how others might approach their search.
cinnatoastg wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:23 pm
[…] sorting by popular on modulargrid. I made that mistake for a while when I first began and it kept me away from my absolute favorite modules. It goes without saying that it literally leads you down the same path as everyone else.
I'm half a year into modular and also did the sort by popular thing a lot when I started out. Of course many modules aren't among the popular ranks for nothing, but I'm also intrigued by quirky things that might lead to an unexpected approach in my music making that are going a bit under the radar. And I like when a module does/adds something in its own kinda way, like a VCA doubling as a mixer or an envelope generator that is able to loop and switch ranges and such.

But I feel that it's not exactly easy to really dig some hidden gems in this vast catalogue. As is to be expected there's not a lot of coverage on YouTube (or is there, somewhere?) besides the beaten paths. Also I'm not a DIY-solder kind of guy (, yet!?) and I often try looking at the seemingly less popular ones and find that a lot of interesting modules are either DIY only or simply not for sale anywhere.

So I'm hoping to get some good ideas about how to go on the hunt – how do you go about looking for modules when the urge need for let's say a VCA or filter arises and you don't have a clear idea as to what's it going to be?

User avatar
cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:31 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by cinnatoastg » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Leaning to on the community here would be first. All my favs I got from reading through muffs threads on certain sounds I wanted to create. Past that, it’s just been serendipity and spending way too much time on modulargrid.
WTB - Piston Honda MK3, Bionic Lester MK3


User avatar
Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4146
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: SF bay area

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Try this -

On the modulargrid MU module search page, first set your search to show only 'assembled' build type and only 'currently available' for product lifecycle. Also set the height to 'only full size' if you don't have a half height "CP" row in your cabinet. This will help omit a lot of things that you aren't looking for.

Then, select one 'function' at a time ('distortion', 'phase shifter', etc.) do a search on each function type, and see what modules show up in each search. If you don't get what a module does, you can now check with the mfgr or YT etc. to get more info, and eventually you'll get some ideas about what is available, what it does, and whether it's something you would want for your system.

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by luketeaford » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:58 pm

I pretty much don't look for modules, but when I was researching modular before I bought anything I thought that maybe I would need "some LFOs, a couple cool oscillators, a filter, an ADSR or two, a distortion module, etc." and luckily I realized I actually just want modules that can be patched to do what I want.

I've written about this before so feel free to skip this tirade if you've seen it, but I don't see the point in an LFO. Either I want it to be a v/oct tracking oscillator or I want to be able to change rise/fall times (so things like Maths, DUSG, SSG, etc). Maybe some people want an LFO that doesn't change rate, shape, or amplitude or that has only switched ranges because something like that is occasionally useful, but I prefer modules that are suited to multiple purposes.

Most of the time that I would recommend spending on research would be probably sequencers and complex oscillators-- and then similar thing if you're into these complex modules like ER-301 or some of the other sophisticated computer style modules. There are too many cool filters out there that you would probably get stuck in a very deep rabbit hole, so personally I just look for what will work with what I already have. (And I have faith that the good folks at Random Source will one day put out the variable bandwidth filter :hihi: )

VCAs are trickier-- a lot of the characteristics matter there-- when is it completely open? How does it overdrive? Is it DC-coupled? There are probably lots of other things that it can impart and since many or most of your modules could theoretically pass through it, you might need to hear the results to tell if you like it.

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4814
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by KSS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Don't discount getting DIY modules built for you. Plenty of people here do that and the DIY section even has a sticky of those offering this service on the upper part of its page.

stringtapper
Common Wiggler
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm
Location: Denton, TX

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Try this -

On the modulargrid MU module search page, first set your search to show only 'assembled' build type and only 'currently available' for product lifecycle. Also set the height to 'only full size' if you don't have a half height "CP" row in your cabinet. This will help omit a lot of things that you aren't looking for.

Then, select one 'function' at a time ('distortion', 'phase shifter', etc.) do a search on each function type, and see what modules show up in each search. If you don't get what a module does, you can now check with the mfgr or YT etc. to get more info, and eventually you'll get some ideas about what is available, what it does, and whether it's something you would want for your system.
+1

Exactly what I do.

User avatar
Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1368
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Agawell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 am

KSS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:02 pm
Don't discount getting DIY modules built for you. Plenty of people here do that and the DIY section even has a sticky of those offering this service on the upper part of its page.
and don't discount learning to solder - it's not difficult - and some manufacturers are targeted towards beginers - AISynthesis, for example
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4814
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by KSS » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 am

^ Yes! Both are valid ways to get modules.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

User avatar
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 am

luketeaford wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:58 pm
I pretty much don't look for modules, but when I was researching modular before I bought anything I thought that maybe I would need "some LFOs, a couple cool oscillators, a filter, an ADSR or two, a distortion module, etc." and luckily I realized I actually just want modules that can be patched to do what I want.

I've written about this before so feel free to skip this tirade if you've seen it, but I don't see the point in an LFO. Either I want it to be a v/oct tracking oscillator or I want to be able to change rise/fall times (so things like Maths, DUSG, SSG, etc). Maybe some people want an LFO that doesn't change rate, shape, or amplitude or that has only switched ranges because something like that is occasionally useful, but I prefer modules that are suited to multiple purposes.

Most of the time that I would recommend spending on research would be probably sequencers and complex oscillators-- and then similar thing if you're into these complex modules like ER-301 or some of the other sophisticated computer style modules. There are too many cool filters out there that you would probably get stuck in a very deep rabbit hole, so personally I just look for what will work with what I already have. (And I have faith that the good folks at Random Source will one day put out the variable bandwidth filter :hihi: )

VCAs are trickier-- a lot of the characteristics matter there-- when is it completely open? How does it overdrive? Is it DC-coupled? There are probably lots of other things that it can impart and since many or most of your modules could theoretically pass through it, you might need to hear the results to tell if you like it.
Hey Luke, considering your thinking I'm super curious to see what you've ended up with in you case (pun intended). I'm also on the path towards patch programmability (not sure if you'd describe your approach as leading there too, plz elaborate if you view it differently).
Gaun Yersel!

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:44 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 am
Hey Luke, considering your thinking I'm super curious to see what you've ended up with in you case (pun intended). I'm also on the path towards patch programmability (not sure if you'd describe your approach as leading there too, plz elaborate if you view it differently).
Yes, I think patch programmability is my favorite little modular buzzword :hihi:

This is what I have set up at the moment and it probably will not surprise you to see so much serge/MN! I view these as two distinct systems and I don't patch them together often (the MN stuff in the Serge case conceptually belongs as an extension of the shared system). I will move all the serge stuff to its own case when I figure out where the hell I'm going to put that haha.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/964621
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1316513

But just to give some examples of things I don't like about these modules: I don't think of the DPO's sawtooth as a sawtooth. It doesn't sound like one to me and I don't like how it sounds in a filter. I don't like that Make Noise hide the waveshaping in oscillators because patching anything else into it (or mixing inputs into it) is cool, and I really don't like LFO/Sync/Lock because if you enable Sync, for example and want to turn it off, you have to pass through LFO-- just a very dorky design in my opinion. So even within my modules, I pretty much don't patch things that can't be undone by CV. That said, I sold oscillators that I like better because DPO is more appropriate to the instrument vibe I've got going-- and it's actually my favorite oscillator despite the fact it has features I don't like/want/use.

And I don't like ResEQ because it's kind of inert, has narrow sweet spots and is difficult to play without making the worst noise in the world. When it sounds great, it's unbeatable but every time I see it on modular grid, I think, "Hey that could be an SSG..."

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by starthief » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:39 pm

I like function generators too, but an LFO where you can morph the shape independently of the rate is nice to have. Tides and Just Friends are kind of in the middle ground there between function generator and more traditional LFO/VCO. But they're missing the ability to slew external signals, compared to Maths etc.

For my LFO preferences, I like Kermit mk2 because it's a good dual LFO, but also a unique sounding fizzy, dusty dual VCO; also Stages because it's versatile in a completely different way than DUSG types.

User avatar
racooniac
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:53 am
Location: Austria, Salzburg

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by racooniac » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:11 am

one thing i seem to do differently than the most people i ask in real life is that i actually read the manuals of modules .... even before i buy them =)

that saved me from the ocassional horrible user interface or misunderstood functionality, some designers just smoked too much.

can recommend! =)

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5475
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by lisa » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 am

I went through everything on Modulargrid. It was only about 5000 modules back then and many are rather generic so it took me about a year of sproradic reading.
You go too high too early, man. I remixed a pop song using my piano, an 808 and a Minilogue. :animal:


User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4264
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:43 am

I just patch and get ideas, and if I reach for something often that I don't have, I write that down and look for something that can do that on modulargrid, then look it up here and on YouTube. Also, if I don't have anything particular in mind, but have a bit of extra cash, I'll subliminally create a need for something, get it, and sell it again a little while later. So stupid, but I keep on doing it again and again.

kosmische
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:20 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by kosmische » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Morog Far wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:44 pm
Over in the If you were starting over; what would you do differently? thread I read this and started wondering how others might approach their search.
I missed this thread somehow, thanks for pointing it out. Some good tips in there!

User avatar
wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by wiperactive » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm guessing that individual strategies must vary considerably when factoring in situational scenarios, intentions, funds, etc.

In my case I have many non-modular synths that I've accumulated over decades, so as I develop my still comparatively nascent modular set-up and move beyond the more obvious basics stage (I have a lovely Analogue Systems case for this... still very potent though!) the recurrent, quite simple thought is, "what can I now add that would bring something new and worthwhile to the table significantly beyond anything my existing synths/combined system could manage?"

So in my case I've just ordered a Klee sequencer euro kit and feel a Rossum Electro-Music Panharmionum - with certain real-time limitations acknowledged - could, funds allowing, also be very worthwhile. Sometimes it comes through thinking hard about missing elements and how they may interact and contribute in the whole system, sometimes by reinvestigating something that wasn't fully appreciated with the first casual perusal, as with the Klee sequencer some years ago and currently aided with a more recent and clarifying demo video.

Just reflect very carefully about the whole situation as an ongoing movement, existing equipment, blind spots, attitudes, habits, etc, etc.

User avatar
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave
Posts: 2386
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:44 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 am
Hey Luke, considering your thinking I'm super curious to see what you've ended up with in you case (pun intended). I'm also on the path towards patch programmability (not sure if you'd describe your approach as leading there too, plz elaborate if you view it differently).
Yes, I think patch programmability is my favorite little modular buzzword :hihi:

This is what I have set up at the moment and it probably will not surprise you to see so much serge/MN! I view these as two distinct systems and I don't patch them together often (the MN stuff in the Serge case conceptually belongs as an extension of the shared system). I will move all the serge stuff to its own case when I figure out where the hell I'm going to put that haha.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/964621
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1316513

But just to give some examples of things I don't like about these modules: I don't think of the DPO's sawtooth as a sawtooth. It doesn't sound like one to me and I don't like how it sounds in a filter. I don't like that Make Noise hide the waveshaping in oscillators because patching anything else into it (or mixing inputs into it) is cool, and I really don't like LFO/Sync/Lock because if you enable Sync, for example and want to turn it off, you have to pass through LFO-- just a very dorky design in my opinion. So even within my modules, I pretty much don't patch things that can't be undone by CV. That said, I sold oscillators that I like better because DPO is more appropriate to the instrument vibe I've got going-- and it's actually my favorite oscillator despite the fact it has features I don't like/want/use.

And I don't like ResEQ because it's kind of inert, has narrow sweet spots and is difficult to play without making the worst noise in the world. When it sounds great, it's unbeatable but every time I see it on modular grid, I think, "Hey that could be an SSG..."
Ace! Thanks Luke. If you’d have to limit yourself to about 8 R*S modules as self contained system, would that be possible and which ones would they be?
Gaun Yersel!

User avatar
Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1105
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 am
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Pelsea » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm

My latest modular is in its final phase of construction. Each phase had a different approach to module selection.

Phase One --Eager Beginning
I started my modular with a Mantis full of the sort of basic modules I have installed in innumerable educational systems. My fundamental criteria were:
  • Single function modules
  • Clear layout with obvious signal flow
  • Good ergonomics
I was aiming for a four voice computer controlled system, so the VCOs, while different, have some common timbres. This led to several quad support modules like ADSRs and VCAs. About 1/3rd are DIY. Good ergonomics for me means knobs with a minimum of 3/4" spacing and graphics that don't obscure labels. There were a few misfires along the way. For instance, I wanted a multimode filter with deep slopes for a technique I like to use (popping harmonics out of a drone), and through a combination of deadlines and module availability, wound up with a Synchrodyne. Nice module, but a bad layout and labels in 6pt type. I used it in one performance, but it was soon replaced with an Ultrarandom dual S&H.
Modular 21-01-06a.jpg

Phase Two -- The Wind Instrument
I soon realized that although the general purpose modules were usable with my WX5, they were not ideal. This led to a second case with modules focused on generating convincing wind sounds. I also wanted a pretty standard voice to generate bass lines to jam with (controlled by the laptop). To make this happen, I needed:
  • MIDI interface with breath CV out.
  • 2 VCOs
  • VCA or LPG that responds elegantly to the breath.
  • Several options for wave distortion--subtlety is required.
  • A precision multiband filter to create formants.
  • A natural sounding reverb.
  • A switched mixer for instant patch changes
I wanted to make the case easy to carry, so I opted for putting utility functions on tiles. The criteria for the first case were still in effect, but the focus now was in getting the best performance. Often this meant trying several designs- and when I discovered the Serge Resonant Equalizer, I had to build a new case.
Modular 21-01-06b.jpg

Phase Three-- Exploring New Ground
Up to this point (about a year ago) my module choices had been fairly conservative as I built an old school foundation for the system. Also, I had a few odd modules that hadn't made the cut for the wind instrument. So, deciding to explore new territory, I built another 6U case. The focus was to be drones and percussion. I was getting a feel for the Eurorack approach, so I relaxed my fundamental criteria somewhat. Now allowed:
  • Mutifunction controls as found in Clouds.
  • This case will not go out for performance, so tighter knob placement and tiny labels are allowed. The Synchrodyne found a home here.
  • Hidden setup process like Plaits and SMR. (Yes Braids has menus, but I never use anything but model selection, and that's spelled out in the open.)
I wound up with a case that will produce a nice variety of drones. The Teleharmonic is central to this-- I had skipped over it in the early phases because is too complex. The harmonic features duplicate what I do in the computer and make it awkward to use as a "normal" VCO. However, diligent study of the (31 page!) manual, I was able to decipher what it does and how to produce diatonic chords with variable richness (perfect foe Sloth modulation).

Percussion was less satisfactory. I know the BIA is the gold standard percussion module, but I couldn't find one in 2020. So I tried a variety of simple kit bangers. All I can say is ugh! Turns out that modules I already had (Braids, Plaits, Plonk) were better sounding. All of the percussion modules save one were ejected as not worth the hp.

When I was building the wind instrument case, I tried a 4ms Spectral Multi Band Resonator as a general filter. It failed at this, primarily because I wanted more bands, but also because it has the most awkward way of setting the frequencies I can imagine (Do not buy this module if you are color blind.) However, it sounds good so I hope to soon get time to learn it well enough to use it in more patches.
Modular 21-01-06c.jpg
Phase Four-- Back to the Future
Most of my patches with the system so far were driven by the laptop, as I developed an extensive library of Max patches for various generative tricks. However, I eventually began to yearn for the feel of sequencers under my fingers. So I began what will be my final case-- a sequencer driven EDM machine. My approach to module selection is now about the sounds-- farts and hinks and all of those blatantly raw things that defined electronic music before samples and sophistication came along. (And is now central to Eurorack.) I still consider clarity and ergonomics, but I'll put up with a lot to get a new sound. Here's the rack so far:
Modular 21-01-06d.jpg
You will note that the sequencer I choose is a Klee. That is not simple to comprehend, but it has wide range of features that make it a solid performance instrument. Other things explore chaotic oscillation and analog through-zero FM. I will be expanding the case slightly to a add a row of utility tiles and a second sequencer.
So over the space of three years my shopping strategy has changed depending on what I was shopping for: simplicity for foundation modules, but an increasing acceptance of complexity and weirdness for special purpose items.
Last edited by Pelsea on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Easy...

I endeavor to keep up with most of the options by most of the makers vis a vis the usual forums/websites.

Then I listen to loads of YT videos and read loads of threads, then I make a list of things I want to try out.

Then I buy them, try them out, and sell what doesn't work out for me.

No mystery, no shortcuts, just regular ole research.

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 pm
luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:44 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 am
Hey Luke, considering your thinking I'm super curious to see what you've ended up with in you case (pun intended). I'm also on the path towards patch programmability (not sure if you'd describe your approach as leading there too, plz elaborate if you view it differently).
Yes, I think patch programmability is my favorite little modular buzzword :hihi:

This is what I have set up at the moment and it probably will not surprise you to see so much serge/MN! I view these as two distinct systems and I don't patch them together often (the MN stuff in the Serge case conceptually belongs as an extension of the shared system). I will move all the serge stuff to its own case when I figure out where the hell I'm going to put that haha.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/964621
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1316513

But just to give some examples of things I don't like about these modules: I don't think of the DPO's sawtooth as a sawtooth. It doesn't sound like one to me and I don't like how it sounds in a filter. I don't like that Make Noise hide the waveshaping in oscillators because patching anything else into it (or mixing inputs into it) is cool, and I really don't like LFO/Sync/Lock because if you enable Sync, for example and want to turn it off, you have to pass through LFO-- just a very dorky design in my opinion. So even within my modules, I pretty much don't patch things that can't be undone by CV. That said, I sold oscillators that I like better because DPO is more appropriate to the instrument vibe I've got going-- and it's actually my favorite oscillator despite the fact it has features I don't like/want/use.

And I don't like ResEQ because it's kind of inert, has narrow sweet spots and is difficult to play without making the worst noise in the world. When it sounds great, it's unbeatable but every time I see it on modular grid, I think, "Hey that could be an SSG..."
Ace! Thanks Luke. If you’d have to limit yourself to about 8 R*S modules as self contained system, would that be possible and which ones would they be?
You're welcome! Hmm, I'd probably do...
DUSG
SSG
VCFQ
VCM
APRO
NTO
RING
and another SSG 'cause they're the best! :tu:

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5070
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 pm

Pelsea wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm
My latest modular is in its final phase of construction. Each phase had a different approach to module selection.
An excellent and detailed post :tu: I also went through multiple phases.

I had a long history of noodling with various budget synths, and then somewhat more serious music production with VST plugins for about 15 years. Then I picked up a Microbrute and found it had something special, and got more curious about hardware again, getting into modular a few months later.

Phase 1: general exploration. I wanted to find out what modular could do for me that VST plugins couldn't. The tactics were a lot of online research (ModularGrid, here, YouTube), browsing and then investigating modules that especially caught my interest, plus the modulation/utility glue to hold them together. I established a habit of trying a lot of gear and trading frequently that lasted until just recently.

Phase 2: I found I especially liked "West Coast" synthesis (or rather: FM, wavefolders and LPGs), resonators and feedback, and the possibilities that modular modulation bring to wavetable synthesis. So I focused more on exploring those areas.

Phase 3: through my musical practice and a lot of review I "found my sound" finally -- after ages of dabbling in many different genres, styles and experiments, trying to satisfy my eclectic tastes -- and wanted to refine my gear choices to suit those needs. At the same time, I wanted to move further from MIDI sequencing and explore more modular-enabled composition and improvisation styles. So I went through a few rounds of sequencers and logic etc.

Phase 4: a partially misguided attempt to consolidate had me replacing a bunch of great modules with an ER-301. I learned a bunch about synthesis methods during that period, but the biggest lesson was that I really prefer more dedicated, hands-on gear like the stuff that I had just sold.

Phase 5: a reversion of phase 4, setting up a drone/ambient, FM and resonator heavy system with hands-on control, and some suitable accompanying non-modular gear. But I kept making changes out of habit and curiosity, more than out of any real dissatisfaction or need.

Phase 6: starting in the last few weeks, I decided to break that habit. My current gear more than meets my musical needs and has entire worlds I can explore. So I'm making no changes to my hardware at all (*) until at least May 1, and then, a maximum of three modules in 2021 if I feel I need to. Even my "less ideal," more situational or more redundant modules still have things about them that are worthy, and some time to sit with them might help me appreciate that more.

(*) possible exception: the last module I bought, an A-110-4 which only arrived a week ago, might be defective or just poorly calibrated, and I'm waiting to hear back from Doepfer support next week to decide what to do.

User avatar
KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4814
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by KSS » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 am

Pelsea wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm
This led to a second case with modules focused on generating convincing wind sounds.
Not sure about the ambiguity between wind sounds aka 70s opener and wind instrument sounds. <--I can read the whole post both ways.

If the latter, I hope you discovered MW member Ricko's modules. He's doing some amazing work in that arena. Actually, even if the former, he's looking at module design with some fresh eyes and approach.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by pugix » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 pm
On the modulargrid MU module search page, first set your search to show only 'assembled' build type and only 'currently available' for product lifecycle. Also set the height to 'only full size' if you don't have a half height "CP" row in your cabinet. This will help omit a lot of things that you aren't looking for.
One caveat here: When selecting Product Lifecycle, remember that the currently available option isn't reliable. It might not be currently available, if nobody updated the status. Also 'Property Unassigned' can bring up modules that are in fact currently available. And discontinued modules are often available as used. The only way really to tell if a module is currently available is to visit the manufacturer's website, as well as your favorite vendors.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4146
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: SF bay area

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:15 pm

Good point!

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3672
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Re: What's your strategy when looking for modules?

Post by pugix » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:16 pm

My strategy for looking for module is quite simple. I know the kinds of modules that I'm most interested in, which for me are delays, patch-programmable modules like DUSG, sample and holds, analog oscillators, etc. I search modulargrid a lot to keep up-to-date on new modules. If I see a module that attracts my interest, I'll visit the maker's website and download the manual, if available. If I'm still interested, I'll search here on MW to find out what people have to say about it. Then I'll find a vendor. I often like to buy from a maker's own website. I've bought quite a few modules shipped to the US from Europe without any problems.

EDIT: It's fun on Modulargrid to search by Currently Available, Assembled, and sort by Popularity, ascending, i.e. least popular first, and ask yourself why these modules are unpopular.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”