What is the differnce between 'Electronic' and 'Electronica'

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
shamann wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:Electronic Music (capitalized) is as it first was used
Given that 1950 was a long long time ago, I'm not sure as it first was used provides much understanding of as it has been used ever since.
That's the point. It now doesn't mean anything since it has been used to describe so many different types of music.
Sure, but then, there's nothing explicit to electronic music, uppercase notwithstanding, that requires it to be experimental and thematic concert music. I think it just happens that the folk interested in experimental and thematic concert music (primarily academicians) were those with access to the necessary electronic equipment in the 40s and 50s.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:41 pm

This is what happens when you have an adjective in a name :)

Like prog house / rock , minimal house - fails to be clear desription after a while
Better off just making up some name ( like adding an a on the end hehe)

Having a name as a top branch and duplicate for a lower branch doesnt make sense to me. I think it is time to call all electronic music 'boris'

phase ghost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by phase ghost » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Electronica, to me, references mid to late 90's popular electronic music. Most of it was bad, some of it was awesome. I loathe the term personally.

Electronic music pretty much blankets all music made with synthesizers that lacks vocals (for the most part).

The endless supply of genre's is irritating at times, but necessary. Anytime I make a song that has a kick drum every 4th note at 120 bpm, I call it Techno. Someone might say it sounds more like house. I don't care. I just call it techno (even though I secretly hate the term).

IDM isn't such a bad term. I think it kinda hints at more experimental, listening music as opposed to beat your face in 140bpm dance electronicacore.

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 pm

I describe my stuff as Electronica, I've always thought of it as a term for early 90s and onwards electronic music that doesn't fit into other genres such as techno/house/trance or whatever.

I don't really like the term IDM, but use it to narrow down what kind of electronic music I make if people ask me for specifics. Easier than saying something like 'my stuff is like ambient stuff with a lot of melodies and harmonies, glitchy drumbeats, probable overuse of delays) because they switch off after 5 seconds.

It's a term that people identify with, so it works for me and I guess if people are actively searching for new music of that genre online or whatever, then they'll type in IDM as oppose to a rambling description of how it sounds.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:37 am

ersatzplanet wrote:What I meant by concert music is music designed to be primarily listened to sitting down vs music primarily made to be danced to.
Nooo... Trying to categorize it by an "intended" listener experience is even more subjective and ambiguous than describing how it was made or where it came from. That's not the conceptual intention of an artist but rather an attempt to stereotype one's own music. That my music is "supposed" to be danced to, or inspire frenzy, or analysis, contemplation, etc is pretentious.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:33 am

'Electronic' is descriptive word people use to describe music made with electronic insruments. 'Electronica' is a term for idiots who can't listen to music unless they know what box it fits into. At least that's the conclusion I drew when I first heard the term in use in the mid-90's.

(Am I having a curmudgeon moment? Getting old happens so gradually one doesn't notice...)

Phollop Willing PA
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:26 am

Electronica is electronic music created by Canadians.

'Electronic? Eh!!'

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”