Nord Modular thread

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

inoshi
Common Wiggler

Post by inoshi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 am

joey wrote:[video][/video]

first patch trying some generative / probability based stuff with my G1
duuuuuuude.... sweeeeeeeet..... :hail: :sadbanana: :ripbanana: :deadbanana: 8-) :sb:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:37 pm

inoshi wrote:
duuuuuuude.... sweeeeeeeet..... :hail: :sadbanana: :ripbanana: :deadbanana: 8-) :sb:
[video][/video]

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm

joey wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 am
[video][/video]

first patch trying some generative / probability based stuff with my G1
Hey, this totally ROCKS! :bananallama:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Nord Modular thread

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Well I did it again. I bought a G1 again. This will be the third one I have owned. I sold or traded the others and sold the G2 I had. I now have a G1 and a G2 again and I think I will keep the G1 longer this time. I saw a great deal locally and pushed it off for a couple of months and the price went down to a point where I couldn't help myself. It wan't expanded (my G2 is though) but since I have the G2 also, I won't be pushing this one too hard. I am keeping my eyes open in case a DSP expansion card shows up somewhere, but I have little hope to ever see one.

Still - fun to have a both of these back. Time to sell some more Eurorack I no longer need.

Oh, and there is a sound difference between the G1 and G2. Different D/A converters maybe. Don't know for sure.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am

What are reasons to have both g1 and g2? Also, how's micro g1?
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Oh, and there is a sound difference between the G1 and G2. Different D/A converters maybe. Don't know for sure.
Yes. I have talked to Rob Hordijk about this (he was instrumental in the G2 design). IIRC there is also discussion about this on the e-m forum. He says Clavia went with the technically superior converters for the G2, but felt that they were too clean, less 'musical'.

I don't know - at the end of the day, they're both digital, and I think the adage that you can dirty a clean signal but not clean a dirty one applies to an extent. Also, the G2 is a massively more capable machine. But, least I sound like a G2 apologist - I have both too :hihi: :sb:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm

rec.Koner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am
What are reasons to have both g1 and g2? Also, how's micro g1?
There are some differences in the types of modules in each unit and their implementation of MIDI. Also the sound is a little different. I would rather have two G2's than a mix, but I can't afford another G2 and couldn't pass up the G1 at the price I got it. There are time when four slots are just not enough or when you want to load a new sound without killing what is playing in the other slots, but that is minor. The micro versions would be good too but at that level I have an Axolotl which will do more and cost quite a bit less (the case-less PCB is ~$80).
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

khyber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by khyber » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am

Wondering if anyone can help me solve an odd problem on a G1 keyboard I just picked up.

I assume this is an issue with the keyboard contacts, but it really seems to be dependent on what patch I have loaded into the synth. The problems only seems to happen on the lower half of the keyboard too.

On some patches, the lower half of the keyboard makes no sound at all, or otherwise, the notes sound at a much lower volume than the rest of the keys.

On other patches, the notes on the lower half of the keyboard seem to trigger a stuck note every so often, the only way to fix is to hit the key (or sometimes the key next to it) to get the note to turn off.

On other patches, everything works as it should and I don't seem to get any stuck notes (though this could just be a lucky coincidence).

So, is this likely due to something physical on the keyboard or is it possible some patches I've got in the keyboard are corrupted in some way where they will cause low output or stuck notes? I'm going to open the synth this weekend and investigate more, but this has me a little troubled.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
So, is this likely due to something physical on the keyboard or is it possible some patches I've got in the keyboard are corrupted in some way where they will cause low output or stuck notes? I'm going to open the synth this weekend and investigate more, but this has me a little troubled.
That sounds like something wrong with the circuit that scans the keyboard, and not the physical keyboard itself. If it were the physical keyboard itself, the same key would always be the problem key. If the same area of keys is acting funny, that may be the scanning chip for that area (if more than one chip is used).

Another reason may be in the connector from the keyboard to the scanning circuits. If the connection is a cable (I haven't opened mine to see), try dis-connecting and re-connecting it a few times to while the contacts clean. The same can be done (very carefully!) for any socketed ICs that are nearby. Older machines sometimes get corrosion problems over time.
-James

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Or a note and velocity scaler in the patch?
note-and-vel-scaler.jpg
Test the keyboard by patching something simple (VCO>env/VCA>out) to see if it really is an electrical defect before opening it up :hmm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Navs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Test the keyboard by patching something simple (VCO>env/VCA>out) to see if it really is an electrical defect before opening it up :hmm:

... it may be at least partially related to the way the keyboard is sending VELOCITY data, which could explain why it affects some patches but not others (some patches use VEL signals, some don't). So - after doing the test above with the simple patch, test it again by adding some extreme velocity control to that simple patch, like setting the filter fc very low, the filter mod amount for the env input very high, and connecting the VEL output from the KYBD module to the AMP input on the env, so that slow key presses and fast key presses will have a huge effect on the envelope's overall level, and thus a huge effect on the filter cutoff. Now do some careful tests by pressing a key fast, then slower, then even slower, and see if it is responding correctly. Repeat for the next key. Etc.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:44 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
Wondering if anyone can help me solve an odd problem on a G1 keyboard I just picked up.

(SNIP)

...also, find a patch that is clearly showing the problem and then check to see if the problem still happens when you control the NM from an external midi keyboard instead of the internal keyboard on the NM.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”