Nord Modular thread

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 am

joey wrote:[video][/video]

first patch trying some generative / probability based stuff with my G1
duuuuuuude.... sweeeeeeeet..... :hail: :sadbanana: :ripbanana: :deadbanana: 8-) :sb:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:37 pm

inoshi wrote:
duuuuuuude.... sweeeeeeeet..... :hail: :sadbanana: :ripbanana: :deadbanana: 8-) :sb:
[video][/video]

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by rec.Koner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:55 pm

joey wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 am
[video][/video]

Hey, this totally ROCKS! :bananallama:
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Nord Modular thread

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Well I did it again. I bought a G1 again. This will be the third one I have owned. I sold or traded the others and sold the G2 I had. I now have a G1 and a G2 again and I think I will keep the G1 longer this time. I saw a great deal locally and pushed it off for a couple of months and the price went down to a point where I couldn't help myself. It wan't expanded (my G2 is though) but since I have the G2 also, I won't be pushing this one too hard. I am keeping my eyes open in case a DSP expansion card shows up somewhere, but I have little hope to ever see one.

Still - fun to have a both of these back. Time to sell some more Eurorack I no longer need.

Oh, and there is a sound difference between the G1 and G2. Different D/A converters maybe. Don't know for sure.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

rec.Koner
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rec.Koner » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am

What are reasons to have both g1 and g2? Also, how's micro g1?
wow.. we're sky high.. that shark we just jumped over is tiny.. we're so high right now (c) found on gearslutz

my page

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:12 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Oh, and there is a sound difference between the G1 and G2. Different D/A converters maybe. Don't know for sure.
Yes. I have talked to Rob Hordijk about this (he was instrumental in the G2 design). IIRC there is also discussion about this on the e-m forum. He says Clavia went with the technically superior converters for the G2, but felt that they were too clean, less 'musical'.

I don't know - at the end of the day, they're both digital, and I think the adage that you can dirty a clean signal but not clean a dirty one applies to an extent. Also, the G2 is a massively more capable machine. But, least I sound like a G2 apologist - I have both too :hihi: :sb:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm

rec.Koner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am
What are reasons to have both g1 and g2? Also, how's micro g1?
There are some differences in the types of modules in each unit and their implementation of MIDI. Also the sound is a little different. I would rather have two G2's than a mix, but I can't afford another G2 and couldn't pass up the G1 at the price I got it. There are time when four slots are just not enough or when you want to load a new sound without killing what is playing in the other slots, but that is minor. The micro versions would be good too but at that level I have an Axolotl which will do more and cost quite a bit less (the case-less PCB is ~$80).
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am

Wondering if anyone can help me solve an odd problem on a G1 keyboard I just picked up.

I assume this is an issue with the keyboard contacts, but it really seems to be dependent on what patch I have loaded into the synth. The problems only seems to happen on the lower half of the keyboard too.

On some patches, the lower half of the keyboard makes no sound at all, or otherwise, the notes sound at a much lower volume than the rest of the keys.

On other patches, the notes on the lower half of the keyboard seem to trigger a stuck note every so often, the only way to fix is to hit the key (or sometimes the key next to it) to get the note to turn off.

On other patches, everything works as it should and I don't seem to get any stuck notes (though this could just be a lucky coincidence).

So, is this likely due to something physical on the keyboard or is it possible some patches I've got in the keyboard are corrupted in some way where they will cause low output or stuck notes? I'm going to open the synth this weekend and investigate more, but this has me a little troubled.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:02 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
So, is this likely due to something physical on the keyboard or is it possible some patches I've got in the keyboard are corrupted in some way where they will cause low output or stuck notes? I'm going to open the synth this weekend and investigate more, but this has me a little troubled.
That sounds like something wrong with the circuit that scans the keyboard, and not the physical keyboard itself. If it were the physical keyboard itself, the same key would always be the problem key. If the same area of keys is acting funny, that may be the scanning chip for that area (if more than one chip is used).

Another reason may be in the connector from the keyboard to the scanning circuits. If the connection is a cable (I haven't opened mine to see), try dis-connecting and re-connecting it a few times to while the contacts clean. The same can be done (very carefully!) for any socketed ICs that are nearby. Older machines sometimes get corrosion problems over time.
-James

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Or a note and velocity scaler in the patch?
note-and-vel-scaler.jpg
note-and-vel-scaler.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Test the keyboard by patching something simple (VCO>env/VCA>out) to see if it really is an electrical defect before opening it up :hmm:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Navs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Test the keyboard by patching something simple (VCO>env/VCA>out) to see if it really is an electrical defect before opening it up :hmm:

... it may be at least partially related to the way the keyboard is sending VELOCITY data, which could explain why it affects some patches but not others (some patches use VEL signals, some don't). So - after doing the test above with the simple patch, test it again by adding some extreme velocity control to that simple patch, like setting the filter fc very low, the filter mod amount for the env input very high, and connecting the VEL output from the KYBD module to the AMP input on the env, so that slow key presses and fast key presses will have a huge effect on the envelope's overall level, and thus a huge effect on the filter cutoff. Now do some careful tests by pressing a key fast, then slower, then even slower, and see if it is responding correctly. Repeat for the next key. Etc.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:44 pm

khyber wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 am
Wondering if anyone can help me solve an odd problem on a G1 keyboard I just picked up.

(SNIP)

...also, find a patch that is clearly showing the problem and then check to see if the problem still happens when you control the NM from an external midi keyboard instead of the internal keyboard on the NM.

catchpenny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchpenny » Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 am

Hi everyone, hope you're well.

I'm thinking about trying to implement some of the moog subharmonicon's approach to sequencing on my micro modular. any thoughts/tips before i dive in?

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Thu May 28, 2020 8:00 am

Is there an algorithmic toolkit somewhere for the Nord Modular? People like Tony Obr make these great sounding semi random patches, it also looks like the patches aren't that big. The video Joey posted is also interesting, big glitchy sound but not that much in the patch window. Most of the Nord patches I download are more like emulations of older synths and processors.

Any links, tips?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

moize
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moize » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

So great to see so much love still for the Nord G1. After hammering mine back in 2012 (wow, that's so long ago https://github.com/sm-ll/mono-log.org/wiki) I barely use mine today. I probably need to get back on that. It's in an awkward position in the rack at the moment although I do look at Franks set up occasionally to get inspiration https://headphonecommute.com/2014/04/21 ... schneider/ although he has the keyboard version…jealous haha

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Re:

Post by daphnid » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:05 pm

joey wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 am
[video][/video]

Damn. This is nuts. The original IDM-in-a-box synth.

I've always wanted one of these. I've had the 1st gen Nord Rack forever and It's the only polysynth I've kept beside the TX81z. This basically sounds like if you took some of the craziest sounds that both of those synths could make and did some creative sequencing with an Octatrack or something. Impressive.

There's something I love about those old Nords, they sound cold and futuristic.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm

I have debated grabbing a nord v1 for a while, they have popped up on BST a few times...

Has anyone tried to use the Sensel Moph on it yet? One would need a USB midi host correct? Would love to patch virtually and use the Thunder interface!
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:41 pm

southphillysynths wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm
I have debated grabbing a nord v1 for a while, they have popped up on BST a few times...

Has anyone tried to use the Sensel Moph on it yet? One would need a USB midi host correct? Would love to patch virtually and use the Thunder interface!
It seems you would need some kind of USB midi to DIN midi adapter but there are plenty of those and they are cheap. A Sensel Morph seems like an excellent way to control a NM!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:41 pm
southphillysynths wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm

It seems you would need some kind of USB midi to DIN midi adapter but there are plenty of those and they are cheap. A Sensel Morph seems like an excellent way to control a NM!
Had not heard of the Sensel Morph prior to reading about it here. I already have a couple of the Kenton USB/MIDI host boxes, a Kenton Pro2000 Mk2, and a pile of CV modular gear. The Pro2000Mk2 has a number of configurable outputs ... I wonder;

Hmmm .... Sensel into USB/MIDI host .... MIDI to Kenton Pro2000Mk2 ..... Pro2000Mk2 to modular. Maybe.
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

crawling wind
Veteran Wiggler

Post by crawling wind » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am

Hey - did you guys see this? New editor for NM1 that can run as a VST!

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/07/by ... ditor.html

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:46 pm

crawling wind wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:45 am
Hey - did you guys see this? New editor for NM1 that can run as a VST!

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/07/by ... ditor.html
!!!!
i can't wait to try this!! NM in the DAW, no fucking way!!
:party: :party: :party: :party:
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 pm

I did it!

I secured a micro modular (in box with original floppies!)

I'm still confused on how to hook it up (I am an absolute bonehead about midi, never used it)

I just build a PC as well SO can anyone reccomend a midi host box or y cable to use with the modular? As I understand I need a usb to dual midi din out connectors for the PC in/out on the MM, then I can use a midi controller to control the patches with midi in. Do I have this right?
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 am

Yup, you need two separate midi IN & OUT ports - one for the usual midi note info to 'play' the synth, like by controlling it from a midi keyboard, and a separate midi IN & OUT port which is used solely to communicate between the patch settings in the synth and the patch editor program that you install on the PC for creating patches on the computer. The user manual explains how to set the ports so the synth & PC know how to communicate. For this synth you REALLY need to RTM.

Some midi devices aren't quite up to the task of dealing with the editor data traffic so get one that is known to work, Like an Edirol UM-550 (five IN & five OUT ports).

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am

Dave Peck wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 am
Some midi devices aren't quite up to the task of dealing with the editor data traffic so get one that is known to work, Like an Edirol UM-550 (five IN & five OUT ports).
Using an Emagic AMT8. MT4 works too.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:33 am

If your computer has multiple USB ports (as most do) you can use a pair of M-Audio Uno interfaces, one for the editor and the other for MIDI control. They are cheap and have plenty of cable and can plug straight in.
Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 9.34.39 AM.png
-James

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”