Nord Modular thread

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

kausto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kausto » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 am

FYI my ESI MIDIMATE II doesn't work with NM1/MM

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 am

BACKGROUND AND SOME SERIOUS BLABLABLA: (re)joining the Nord Micro Modular camp, I just bought a Micro in fabulous shape from a Miffwugglers member (outstanding trader btw). This is to be my 4th (5th?) Nord Modular since 2001 .. and I am KEEPING THIS ONE DAMMIT!

I had recently purchased a pair of Korg Volca FMs to use as both ~digi synths~ and as modulation sources for my 5U modular rig. To my good fortune, the seller of the Micro I just bought left all of his own patches loaded up. Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman!! Out of the 99 patches loaded in the Micro I only got to patch #32 before I definitively made up my mind to sell the two Volca FMs. They're in the BST subforum now, and have been since earlier today.

THAT'S how much this little beasty ~struck~ me as I surfed the patches that were left in it for me to audition.

For one thing, I plan on using it for external signal processing (some cat named *Dave Peck produced an ensemble effect patch meant to support 70s type stringer sounds which I intend to give a serious try using a Kurzweil PC3A6 as the "stringer" ... my attempt at creating a ~fakester~ ARP Omni). I also intend on using it to modulate my 5U modular system by using it as an audio rate modulation source from the L/R output jacks (or possibly the headphone jack, whichever). I have all of the LFO type modulators I can eat, but the notion of using a complete synth as a modulation source is something I wish to deeply explore. The Nord Micro Modular seems a solid foundation for such an undertaking.

I have a number of PC computers, all of which run the 3.03 Editor without issue. I also have three M-Audio Audiophile USB MIDI/Audio interfaces that work fine for interfacing the Micro with the PC/Editor. So I am pretty much set to go!

INQUIRY: What will be new to me is attempting to use a Kurzweil PC3A6 as a source of MIDI controllers (nine sliders, 12 buttons, 2 expression pedals, three foot switches, 24" ribbon controller, mod wheel, pitch wheel, velocity, aftertouch, sixteen channel sequencer, seventeen arpeggiators) as well as a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller (newly acquired). So I may be hitting up this subforum for help on that stuff.

Ultimately the plan is to fully integrate the Micro into my rig;

** Stuff going into it.
** Stuff coming out used as modulation sources.
** Sound source as just another additional synth.
** Additional "voice" added to my 5U modular and used just as if it were an additional digital "VCO" voice.

I'll interface it into my main mixer and use it's busses to route things into it, as well as stuff coming out of it, routing some of it's sounds directly into the modular as as additional "VCO". Fortunately the Carvin 12ch mixer and the old Mackie VLZ3 1202 mixer both have lots of buss routings for these types of madnessezzesses.

:nana: Ok, done rambling. Bye byes.
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote: INQUIRY: What will be new to me is attempting to use a Kurzweil PC3A6 as a source of MIDI controllers (nine sliders, 12 buttons, 2 expression pedals, three foot switches, 24" ribbon controller, mod wheel, pitch wheel, velocity, aftertouch, sixteen channel sequencer, seventeen arpeggiators) as well as a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller (newly acquired). So I may be hitting up this subforum for help on that stuff.
Ah, that's the easy part! You just need to know what midi CC# all of those various hardware controls are sending their control signals on. Then, in the Micro patch editor, you assign the various knob & switch parameters within the patch to those midi cc's, using the same procedure you use when assigning those patch parameters to one of the Micro's own front panel knobs:

Right click on the on-screen patch parameter, and then instead of selecting "knob", you select "MIDI controller". The mod wheel and expression pedal options are then available to select, or select "other" for the full list of 120 MIDI cc#'s.

NOTE: If you want to alter the response of a hardware midi CC that is controlling something in the Micro, like maybe invert the ribbon or increase/reduce the range of a hardware slider, an easy way to do that is to drag a 'Constant" module into the patch (under the "CTRL" tab) and you get a new virtual knob in the patch that doesn't consume any DSP at all and you can assign this new knob to be controlled by one of those MIDI cc's. Now, in the patch, you patch the output of that midi-controlled knob through inverters or attenuators or exponential shapers (or what the hell - wavewrappers!!) to alter the way the knob's output responds to it's hardware midi controller, and then patch that modified knob response signal to it's destination mod input in the patch.

Running the knob output through a lag/portamento module can help make the hardware controller act reeeeal smoooth. Or run it through a quantizer to turn a hardware slider into an arpeggiator! You get the idea. :bananaguitar:

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Dave Peck wrote:NOTE: If you want to alter the response of a hardware midi CC that is controlling something in the Micro, like maybe invert the ribbon or increase/reduce the range of a hardware slider, an easy way to do that is to drag a 'Constant" module into the patch (under the "CTRL" tab) and you get a new virtual knob in the patch that doesn't consume any DSP at all and you can assign this new knob to be controlled by one of those MIDI cc's. Now, in the patch, you patch the output of that midi-controlled knob through inverters or attenuators or exponential shapers (or what the hell - wavewrappers!!) to alter the way the knob's output responds to it's hardware midi controller, and then patch that modified knob response signal to it's destination mod input in the patch.
This is perhaps one of the most enlightening posts I've read in my nearly 10 years of Muffs! Despite shaping control data all the time in MaxMSP it has never occurred to me that I could do it with a constant in my Nords! Counting hours now to when I can try it out!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote: INQUIRY: What will be new to me is attempting to use a Kurzweil PC3A6 as a source of MIDI controllers (nine sliders, 12 buttons, 2 expression pedals, three foot switches, 24" ribbon controller, mod wheel, pitch wheel, velocity, aftertouch, sixteen channel sequencer, seventeen arpeggiators) as well as a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller (newly acquired). So I may be hitting up this subforum for help on that stuff.
Ah, that's the easy part! You just need to know what midi CC# all of those various hardware controls are sending their control signals on. Then, in the Micro patch editor, you assign the various knob & switch parameters within the patch to those midi cc's, using the same procedure you use when assigning those patch parameters to one of the Micro's own front panel knobs:

Right click on the on-screen patch parameter, and then instead of selecting "knob", you select "MIDI controller". The mod wheel and expression pedal options are then available to select, or select "other" for the full list of 120 MIDI cc#'s.

NOTE: If you want to alter the response of a hardware midi CC that is controlling something in the Micro, like maybe invert the ribbon or increase/reduce the range of a hardware slider, an easy way to do that is to drag a 'Constant" module into the patch (under the "CTRL" tab) and you get a new virtual knob in the patch that doesn't consume any DSP at all and you can assign this new knob to be controlled by one of those MIDI cc's. Now, in the patch, you patch the output of that midi-controlled knob through inverters or attenuators or exponential shapers (or what the hell - wavewrappers!!) to alter the way the knob's output responds to it's hardware midi controller, and then patch that modified knob response signal to it's destination mod input in the patch.

Running the knob output through a lag/portamento module can help make the hardware controller act reeeeal smoooth. Or run it through a quantizer to turn a hardware slider into an arpeggiator! You get the idea. :bananaguitar:
... and there it is ... sooper dooper cool! Thanks .. per usual!

:tu:
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 pm

pixelmechanic wrote:
This is perhaps one of the most enlightening posts I've read in my nearly 10 years of Muffs! Despite shaping control data all the time in MaxMSP it has never occurred to me that I could do it with a constant in my Nords! Counting hours now to when I can try it out!
Yup, I first started doing this may years ago when I was working on a patch that needed more than the four "morph groups" for controlling multiple parameters simultaneously with one knob. Using a 'Constant' knob, you just run that signal simultaneously through various attenuators, amplifiers, and inverters and patch the various results to several different CV input destinations, effectively making your own 'fifth morph group' whereby turning one knob controls several different things, but at various different amounts and different knob polarities. Then the next idea was mangling that knob response even further with more interesting CV processing modules. And of course it works the same regardless if you are turning a hardware knob on the front of the Nord Modular or using some external midi cc controller.

One of my favorite applications for this idea: processing KEYBOARD CHANNEL AFTERTOUCH by assigning it to a Constant knob and patching that knob through a portamento module before patching it to it's filter cutoff mod amount destination, usually with the portamento 'fall' set slower than the 'rise'. This makes a HUGE difference in how well aftertouch responds, especially in slow pad patches with a long envelope release. Without this processing, the aftertouch falls to zero immediately when you stop playing a note, and you hear the filter close way too quickly. With this processing, when you release a note the filter sloooowwlllyy closes back down as the note fades out. This one feature has really spoiled me - now, aftertouch just sounds 'poorly implemented' on most other synths when I create a patch with a long release, while this modified response on the NM sounds totally 'right' and far more musical.

This all works for anything that has a mod input. So you reserve the 'real' morph groups for the relatively few things that don't, like the Rate control on a Chorus module.

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks for the tips Dave, much appreciated! About this:
Dave Peck wrote:and patching that knob through a portamento module before patching it to it's filter cutoff mod amount destination, usually with the portamento 'fall' set slower than the 'rise'.
I can't find the separate controls for the rise and fall on either of the portamento modules, so I must be missing something here? Or do you use a G2?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 am

SmartBits wrote:Thanks for the tips Dave, much appreciated! About this:
Dave Peck wrote:and patching that knob through a portamento module before patching it to it's filter cutoff mod amount destination, usually with the portamento 'fall' set slower than the 'rise'.
I can't find the separate controls for the rise and fall on either of the portamento modules, so I must be missing something here? Or do you use a G2?

Ah, sorry! In the NM, when I need to have different rise and fall slew times imparted onto things like aftertouch, I run the Control module knob through the NMs' Envelope Follower module (found under the envelope tab), not the portamento module. The envelope follower has separate rise & fall controls.

When I want to add aftertouch-controlled filter swells to real slow pad patches that have very slow envelopes controlling the VCA and filter, setting the envelope follower's attack to about 400 msec and the release to 2 seconds or even longer works great!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 am

(I posted this while Dave was posting the comment above ... I was unaware that he was already addressing this when I authored it)

SmartBits wrote:Thanks for the tips Dave, much appreciated! About this:
Re: Micro Modular 3.03 and it's editor ....
Portamento is essentially to polar opposite of quantizing. Quantizing creates steps out of slopes. Portamento creates slopes out of steps (it is essentially a filter). You might be able to use FILTER A (LPF) and FILTER B (HPF) for this. Use Filter B as the rising slew and Filter A as the falling slew. Slew Limiters ("portamento modules") are in essence non-resonant filters, so use the Low Pass Filter (LPF ... Filter A) to "smooth out" rising signals and the High Pass Filter (HPF ... Filter B) to smooth out the falling signals.

Filters A and B have 6db slopes, should you require a steeper slope, use FILTER E which offers 12db and 24db slopes, as well as Low Pass and High Pass states. You'd need one instance of Filter E set to Low Pass for falling slopes, and another instance of Filter E set to High Pass for rising slopes. You would also need to make sure the Resonance is reduced to minimum.

If you want the same slew curve on both the rising signal and the falling signal, you may be able to set Filter E to Band Pass state, and then select how "steep" you want the curve by choosing which slope you want (12db slope or 24db slope).

Another possibility is to use one instance of either Portamento module for only the rising signal, and another instance of either Portamento modules for only the falling signal, then remix the two signals back into one. The only difference between Portamento A and Portamento B is one uses a high logic signal to turn it on, and the other uses a high logic signal to turn it off.

Perhaps one of the other modules (such as "Diode" or perhaps another type of logic filter) may be required to separate the ups from the downs (essentially creating a logic splitter) so that they may be processed separately by the two instances of Portamento modules.

I believe I have this stuff correct, but let's allow Dave to come up with is own solution on this to either verify or impeach my suggestions.

:despair:

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:49 am

As a recent owner of a G2 and a micro, I'm amazed that this thread is still a relevant source of ideas and tips years after OP... Thanks for sharing guys ! :tu:
Sig !

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am

Indeed, great stuff! :hail:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:(I posted this while Dave was posting the comment above ... I was unaware that he was already addressing this when I authored it)

SmartBits wrote: Portamento creates slopes out of steps (it is essentially a filter). You might be able to use FILTER A (LPF) and FILTER B (HPF) for this. Use Filter B as the rising slew and Filter A as the falling slew. Slew Limiters ("portamento modules") are in essence non-resonant filters, so use the Low Pass Filter (LPF ... Filter A) to "smooth out" rising signals and the High Pass Filter (HPF ... Filter B) to smooth out the falling signals.
:
You're partly right, about the LPF. A LPF does 'slew' instantaneous changes in a waveform, rounding the corners off a LFO square wave, imparting a portamento effect onto a stepped CV signal, etc. because it is removing higher harmonics, and this is true regardless if the waveform is in the audio range (with a higher filter cutoff setting) or if the waveform is some kind of sub-audio CV waveform (with a much lower filter cutoff setting).

But it imparts this rounding and slewing effect on both rising and falling changes in the waveform equally, it doesn't affect one direction differently from the other.

And, more to the point, a HPF doesn't work at all for modifying CV signals in this way, especially if they contain DC voltages that sustain at some particular level for any amount of time, like the stepped output of a sequencer or the note CV signal from a keyboard. Why is this? Because a HPF filter removes elements of the waveform BELOW the cutoff setting, and a signal producing a sustained DC output is really the lowest possible frequency - it is 'zero hertz'. It is not oscillating at any frequency.

So if you have a knob that produces DC volts on your hardware modular (like from a Signal Processor) or this 'virtual knob' in the NM's Constant module, which produces a virtual DC Voltage when you turn it up, and you pass the signal from this knob through a HPF (real or virtual) set at, say, 20 Hz, when you suddenly turn that knob up from zero volts to some DC signal level, the filter will let it pass through just briefly, but will then cause the signal to quickly settle back to zero, as if you turned the knob back down! Why? Because the HPF is blocking all DC components of the signal and re-centering the signal around the zero line.

There are a few uses for this, like creating a quick 'spike', a transient that settles back to zero every time an input square wave LFO transitions from high to low, or other similar effects.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Hey man, whatever works, y'know?

I guess the core point I was making is that there is more than one way to go about getting to a given end. I already knew I had not outlined things correctly, which I why I credited you when I said something along the lines of "let's wait for *Dave Peck to comment so that he may clarify this" (or whatever it was I said ... you get it).

(below) change ~wrote~ to ~read~ and problem becomes clear! :lol:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 am

That first meme is frikking priceless :cloud:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:49 pm

I've been tossing back and forth between adding another Norm Micro Modular to my rig and (just maybe) getting into the Make Noise "0-Coast" or "No-Coast" or "Zero Coast" whatever the hell it's called.

Something relevant to my decision would be whether or not the Nord Modular editor program runs on Win 10. I'm still running Win 7 and the editor runs fine on that. However as we all know the day WILL come when Microturds ... woops .. did I say that? ... I mean Microsoft will eventually stop supporting Win7 and my old ass will be forced to uprate to Win10. I've read the last seven or eight pages of this thread, and done a thread search but found no info regarding this question.

So, we good? Win10 + Nord Modular Editor = A-OK Good Joe Yea Buddy?

:despair:

SmartBits
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SmartBits » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:50 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:So, we good? Win10 + Nord Modular Editor = A-OK Good Joe Yea Buddy?
It runs just fine on Win 10, as it did on 7 and XP, no worries.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:00 am

SmartBits wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:So, we good? Win10 + Nord Modular Editor = A-OK Good Joe Yea Buddy?
It runs just fine on Win 10, as it did on 7 and XP, no worries.
yes!

Right on man. Thanks for the good news!

Now I'll be up for hours searching Tou Yube for videos of Nord Modulars making sounds like those the "0-Coast" makes ... those hyper-digital sound-effect-y "west coast sounds" (oh god forgive me ... I actually said that). I have thousands of the patches from the electro music page, but I haven't taken the time to load/test/audition them to locate those types of sounds.

Such as this ilk ....

[video][/video]

materialobject
Common Wiggler

Nord Modular G2 - Mac OSX 10.12.6 +

Post by materialobject » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:37 am

hello
is anyone using the OSX Nord Modular G2 software on Mac OSX 10.12.6 or newer?

just want to make sure the editor still works before updating my mac os.

thanks

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Using it here on 10.12.6 – heard of people running it without a hitch on High Sierra too.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:54 pm

The editor does NOT work with the M-Audio Audiophile USB (Win XP SP2). It just keeps saying "still looking" after it boots up. I could not get the editor to ~see~ the Micro Modular when using the Audiophile USB as the MIDI interface. The editor was able to ~see~ the Audiophile, but it couldn't see the Micro through the Audiophile. I even tried swapping the MIDI cables that were plugged into the "PC" I/O jacks and swapping the ins and outs as well ... no change. I think I read somewhere in this very thread that the MIDI OUT of the midi interface must be (counter-intuitively) plugged into the PC OUT of the Micro, and the MIDI IN of the interface mustbe plugged into the "PC IN" jack of the Micro. So out to out, and in to in. In any case, I tried the normal way, and that weird "out to out, in to in" way ... no good.

The UNO 1x1 is on the "approved" list, I have one of those coming ($19 bucks on eBay). I know that one works anyway (whether it's on some list or not), it's exactly what I used to use before with my Micros with the exact same laptop I tried to use with my Micro last night.

Another day or three and the Uno should be here. I located the latest driver for it last night and downloaded it to my computer. So I'm all ready now, just waiting on the Uno to show up. :yay:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:32 pm

I love my G2 and loved my NM when I had one. If I was debating getting a Micro or not, I would look into an Axoloti. You can do a lot with one, they sound good, work on all the main operating systems (editor is Java based) and there are literally hundreds of modules to choose from, 700 factory modules and 2,083 community written modules (including ports of some favorite Eurorack modules). Not bad for US$85. Some DIY is needed if you want to add knobs, sliders, switches, or FSRs, otherwise it can be controlled via MIDI CC.

-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:24 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:I love my G2 and loved my NM when I had one. If I was debating getting a Micro or not, I would look into an Axoloti. You can do a lot with one, they sound good, work on all the main operating systems (editor is Java based) and there are literally hundreds of modules to choose from, 700 factory modules and 2,083 community written modules (including ports of some favorite Eurorack modules). Not bad for US$85. Some DIY is needed if you want to add knobs, sliders, switches, or FSRs, otherwise it can be controlled via MIDI CC.

I looked this up ... pretty cool. Not bad for a synth named after a weird looking fish.

I am interested for sure. PCB is prebuilt, pre-tested. Nice.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 pm

(Axoloti) ... I spent a few hours reading writings, watching viewings, hearing soundings.

It's .. um .. nice. It most certainly is itself, doubtlessly. It can be made into pretty much anything involving sound processing, and many things involving sound creation. I find a lot of it to be unfinished though. I still haven't figured out if it can store (and just as importantly .. recall) programs inside itself .. well, more than one at a time I should say. It seems like it can, but unless there is a midi controller available of some type (for example the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller) you'll have to design and fabricate some type of preset selector and loader if you want to load it up with 20/30/more programs and recall them without the use of a computer.

Beyond that one lingering question, it seems to be exactly what it appears to be. You can make your own enclosure/case for it, add knobs/switches that may be assigned to ~whatever~ function(s), and use it like you would use a Nord Modular.

There are questions posted about this-n-that on the dedicated forum(s), and most of the answers are loaded with paragraphs of language taken from the entire lexicon of The Land of Total Geekdom. So to understand some of the help provided in the forum(s) you must be at least partially versed in the geek speak of computer programmers.

It looks like a lot of fun. But it also looks like something that requires time inside of immersion within the Axoloti Ethos.

As it stands, I have too many projects on the stove to be able to devote the kind of attention developing an Axoloti into something useful. I mean, I probably have a dozen manuals I need to digest for the gear I've procured for my studio just to be able to use that gear to it's potential. Adding something like the Axoloti to that list would only serve to spread my available attention so thin to everything that I'd end up being like some of these Euro users that end up buying thousands of dollars worth of gear and they never end up using any of it to even 20% of the modules' ability, and ultimately end up selling off most of it, only to buy MORE gear they'll never fully use, and then selling IT off ... in a perpetual "getting nowhere" circle.

(Last night I read a thread posted by a user that doesn't understand that an EG isn't a signal processor but a modulator .. that has a list of modules in his "rack" that had to have drained at least $4k from his bank account ... he voiced over and again his frustration with not understanding how to make a basic VCO/Mixer/VCF/VCA patch, and yet has an entire PILE of some of the most complex modules within Euroville ... poor bastard, I felt bad for him).

So ... maybe some other time. But for now, the Nord Modular (and Micro) will do just fine. It's a ~time thing~.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:(Axoloti) ... I spent a few hours reading writings, watching viewings, hearing soundings.

It's .. um .. nice. It most certainly is itself, doubtlessly. It can be made into pretty much anything involving sound processing, and many things involving sound creation. I find a lot of it to be unfinished though. I still haven't figured out if it can store (and just as importantly .. recall programs inside itself .. well, more than one at a time I should say. It seems like it can, but unless there is a midi controller available of some type (for example the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller) you'll have to design and fabricate some type of preset selector and loader if you want to load it up with 20/30/more programs and recall them without the use of a computer.
You can recall patches from the microSD card using manual or MIDI commands. there are a few "modules" for this.
Rex Coil 7 wrote:Beyond that one lingering question, it seems to be exactly what it appears to be. You can make your own enclosure/case for it, add knobs/switches that may be assigned to ~whatever~ function(s), and use it like you would use a Nord Modular.
And at that price point, you can easily have more than one of them. Many people don't think of it in this way but you can just program it to do a few functions, like effects, or to be a semi-modular and then never program it again. Basically make it into a dedicated box. They are cheap enough to use that way. Then you can always tweak it later if you figure out you want to add something to it. Make it into a chordal oscillator bank, a echo delay/flanger/phaser/reverb, basically any kind of stomp box you want for $85 plus cabinet.
Rex Coil 7 wrote:There are questions posted about this-n-that on the dedicated forum(s), and most of the answers are loaded with paragraphs of language taken from the entire lexicon of The Land of Total Geekdom. So to understand some of the help provided in the forum(s) you must be at least partially versed in the geek speak of computer programmers.
If you stray away from the factory objects you get into some user made objects that are VERY obscure and full of geek for sure. If you are a programmer, this is the bee's knee's for sure but you don't strictly need to be one to come up with some great patches. If you are than you can make your own modules. Most of the forum is people like that, people who are hacking their own modules and doing way out stuff. Sort of like a Cycling 74 MAX forum gets.
Rex Coil 7 wrote:It looks like a lot of fun. But it also looks like something that requires time inside of immersion within the Axoloti Ethos.
There is more of a DIY feel to it since it is so hackable and the software being so open tends to draw the more obscure use cases, but I think you can do a lot with it at a purely minimal time and effort investment. Had mine making sounds right away and the only similar thing I had to go on was the Nords and some software modulars that patched the same way. The techie modules, the obscure math modules and such, can be packaged into objects with only the inputs and outputs needed and it makes it much simpler to deal with. The ports of the Mutable instruments modules are like that, lots of hidden modules used to make the main one.
Rex Coil 7 wrote:As it stands, I have too many projects on the stove to be able to devote the kind of attention developing an Axoloti into something useful. I mean, I probably have a dozen manuals I need to digest for the gear I've procured for my studio just to be able to use that gear to it's potential. Adding something like the Axoloti to that list would only serve to spread my available attention so thin to everything that I'd end up being like some of these Euro users that end up buying thousands of dollars worth of gear and they never end up using any of it to even 20% of the modules' ability, and ultimately end up selling off most of it, only to buy MORE gear they'll never fully use, and then selling IT off ... in a perpetual "getting nowhere" circle.
-snip-
So ... maybe some other time. But for now, the Nord Modular (and Micro) will do just fine. It's a ~time thing~.
I TOTALLY understand this. I have a G2 and the Axo and a over 36U of modular and of all of that, the Axo is used the least cause of time. I would consider it more if I didn't have other gear and especially if I didn't already have a G2. When you don't already have alternatives, it is just hard to ignore it when you consider that you can get 5 Axoloti for the price of a used Nord Micro Modular.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 am

Ok, the UNO 1x1 came in ($19 bucks on eBay). I copied the latest driver to the (Win XP SP2) laptop, plugged in the UNO to the laptop and the Micro Modular, a held my breath as I fired up the 3.03 Editor ... inside of one second the editor saw the UNO and the Micro and everything began operating exactly as expected.

First things first, I saved the contents of the Micro Modular to a folder on the laptop's hard drive. Many times when I have bought a used Micro Modular it will have patches that have been modified or created by one of the previous owners. Sometimes those patches are damned good! So I copied them to the hard drive just in case I want to use any of them later.

I then began opening patches from years of collecting them on the web to test out the Micro. Great balls of fire!! Everything is a GO!

So I'll be testing gazoodles of patches and arranging them into banks of stuffs I like.

It's all good. I gots me a Nord Micro Modular yo!!

:banana:

I'll be attempting to use an Arturia Beatstep to both control the Micro and sequence it. Also, I'm expecting a Squarp Pyramid MIDI sequencer to arrive sometime over the next several days. Seeing how well (or poorly) the Beatstep as well as the Pyramid work with the Micro Modular will be another task I'll need to work through.

:minimoog:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”