Nord Modular thread

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Now I'll be up for hours searching Tou Yube for videos of Nord Modulars making sounds like those the "0-Coast" makes ...
There's a set of patches somewhere all titles Nord Coast xxxx that might be of interest, unfortunately I can't recall which site/group they were posted in :doh:

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am

Muzone wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Now I'll be up for hours searching Tou Yube for videos of Nord Modulars making sounds like those the "0-Coast" makes ...
There's a set of patches somewhere all titles Nord Coast xxxx that might be of interest, unfortunately I can't recall which site/group they were posted in :doh:
You mean these?

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2013 ... tches.html

:hihi:

The Micromod knocks spots off the 0-Coast :twisted:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Oh yeah, that graphic looks familiar, good find :)

As for 0-C Vs MM I have both and enjoy using both - MM is better for "sound design" but 0-C kicks its ass for immediacy and sheer fun (IMO)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:49 pm

(This is irrespective of the three previous posts). I rifled through my years-long collection of Nord Micro Modular patches and began sorting them a bit to create some semblance of organization into the pile. That said, I've been able to get a fairly solid count ... over 16,500 patches in the collection.

:eek:

Regarding the O-Coast vs the Micro Modular. The Nord can be made to be every bit as immediate if a somewhat fixed patch structure is used. It's easy enough to put together a MIDI CC controller that will allow real time control over "just the right" functions. Since the Nord is pretty much HALF the price of the Make Noise there's money left to afford putting together a controller that suits the user. I'd also add that the Nord is polyphonic, and can recall difficult and complex patches instantly. Which takes away from the "immediacy" of the Make Noise. You spend (however many minutes, perhaps an hour) to create a seriously killer sound on the Make Noise ... now how long with it take to repeat that ... if you can even repeat it at all?

I have a Doepfer MIDI CC controller kit that provides sixteen control signal "taps" that may be configured to address any MIDI control capabilities of a given device. It also has 128 preset slots which may be recalled using any number of MIDI preset selection devices available today (such as the Behringer FCB1010, which I own two of).

I weighed the O-Coast against the Nord Micro pretty heavily. The Nord just has so much more going for it ... at half the money. So there's my "IMO".

Potato ... potahto. :despair:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Navs wrote:
Muzone wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
You mean these?

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2013 ... tches.html

:hihi:

The Micromod knocks spots off the 0-Coast :twisted:
Sure enough!

Help me to understand something ... I take it I am to gather that these "Nord Coast" patches are emulations of some of the O-Coast sounds? If so, I would point out that the link takes one to a set of posts dated 2013. The O-Coast came out several years after 2013 if my memory serves me. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

** The perspex controller pictured on the linked page is made with precisely the same Doepfer controller kit I have (Doepfer Pocket Electronics).

** I have the Nord Modular Book (great stuff).

** I didn't have the Nord Coast album, but I may already have the patches among the nearly 17,000 NMM patches I have. I'll be buying the album so I'll have access to those patches as soon as I buy the album.

:tu:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 am

Spooky isn't it - I'm guessing the Nord coast tag is a play on North coast?
In fact the patches aren't excatly 0-coast like, but they're certainly in tat crossover coast direction.

I will look into the Doefper controller kit, my MM has been languishing unloved for some time so I need to get back into it and more knobbage will help.

Also the Nord book will be useful, thanks for sharing the info :)

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:38 am

'Nord Coast' was a tongue in cheek reference/play on words to the East/West Coast cliché - North Coast.

No idea if the 0-Coast was in production at the time but the patches were inspired by Subotnick, Hordijk, Rastko, Pixelmechanic and my own Euro patches, e.g. the Cwejman RES-4 emulation and Sport Modulator/ Serge SSG games. I still use some of these live to accompany the 'real' modular. Recall FTW - it can be quite dramatic to be able to call up a mood change instantly.

My comment above about the 0-Coast was also cheeky - I've never used one but it looks like fun. The MM needs a computer to programme it, so it loses points for immediacy. But, because it's virtual and modules are 'free', you can do so much more. The point about polyphony is right on the money - don't underestimate this - relatively simple patches can sound bonkers just by upping the voice count to two or three :banana:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 am

Navs wrote:'Nord Coast' was a tongue in cheek reference/play on words to the East/West Coast cliché - North Coast.
Aha, missed that they were your patches, nice work - I bought the album to get them a few months back :)

And yes, the 0-coast is a fun thing and together with the MM and Beatstep Pro makes a nice compact little set-up.

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:14 am

Navs wrote:'Nord Coast' was a tongue in cheek reference/play on words to the East/West Coast cliché - North Coast.

No idea if the 0-Coast was in production at the time but the patches were inspired by Subotnick, Hordijk, Rastko, Pixelmechanic and my own Euro patches, e.g. the Cwejman RES-4 emulation and Sport Modulator/ Serge SSG games. I still use some of these live to accompany the 'real' modular. Recall FTW - it can be quite dramatic to be able to call up a mood change instantly.

My comment above about the 0-Coast was also cheeky - I've never used one but it looks like fun. The MM needs a computer to programme it, so it loses points for immediacy. But, because it's virtual and modules are 'free', you can do so much more. The point about polyphony is right on the money - don't underestimate this - relatively simple patches can sound bonkers just by upping the voice count to two or three :banana:
This has made my day to see my 'name' in such esteemed company!

I'm also still using my MMs alongside (and instead of) my euro or serge specifically because of patch recall and polyphony

My top tip for newer users is morph groups for 'interpolation spaces'

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:50 am

Navs wrote:.... The MM needs a computer to programme it, so it loses points for immediacy...
But it holds 100 patches .... so once it's loaded it has "100 immediacies".

I can haz 100 immediacy.

:lol:

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Nord Modular: Sync to audio pulse

Post by rrooyyccee » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with something I thought would be simple.

I'd like to sync my Nord Modular 1 to a series of pulses from my Eurorack. I been sending a rimshot to the NM.

If I send audio directly into a sequencer clock, I can get it to advance. But the behavior is not very reliable.

I've tried the following modules between the audio input and clock input of the NM sequencer: envelope follower, comparator, pulser, pulse inverter. NOne of these seems to do the trick.

The desired application:run an analogue clock based rig with the NM slaved by pulses: either gate signals or audio signals.

I'm wondering about the positive or negative direction of such triggers, and how the NM seqeuncer clock input is interpreting these. Perhaps polarities are reverse what I am expecting and I am trigering on the tail end of the rimshot?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nord Modular: Sync to audio pulse

Post by Dave Peck » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 pm

rrooyyccee wrote:Hi,

I'd like to sync my Nord Modular 1 to a series of pulses from my Eurorack. I been sending a rimshot to the NM.

If I send audio directly into a sequencer clock, I can get it to advance. But the behavior is not very reliable.

I've tried the following modules between the audio input and clock input of the NM sequencer: envelope follower, comparator, pulser, pulse inverter. NOne of these seems to do the trick.

The desired application:run an analogue clock based rig with the NM slaved by pulses: either gate signals or audio signals.

I'm wondering about the positive or negative direction of such triggers, and how the NM seqeuncer clock input is interpreting these. Perhaps polarities are reverse what I am expecting and I am trigering on the tail end of the rimshot?
Clocking/triggering NM modules from an incoming audio signal that is intended to act like a trigger pulse usually requires various steps to 'clean up' the incoming audio signal. It sounds like you're already trying a lot of the usual techniques for doing this, but if they aren't working, I would recommend you try to get some more data about what the incoming signal is really doing because this might make the problem clear.

Try recording that audio-trigger signal as a DAW audio track and zoom in and take a look at the waveform. It may be double-triggering, it may have a slight positive DC offset so it doesn't always fall back below the zero volt line between hits (this could prevent the NM modules from seeing the next event as a new trigger pulse) etc.

Sending a fast audio signal through an envelope follower (to get rid of quick double-triggers etc.)and THEN applying a small DC offset (to assure it always falls back to zero or slightly below after each pulse, so the NEXT pulse always starts from zero or slightly below) usually does the trick.

But why not send it the same trigger source in your hardware modular that you are using to trigger the rim shot signal? That should work a lot easier than trying to clean up an audio signal to effectively turn it back into a trigger pulse.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:40 pm

rrooyyccee wrote:Hi, I'm having some trouble with something I thought would be simple. I'd like to sync my Nord Modular 1 to a series of pulses from my Eurorack...
This solution isn't free ... but it may be more of a sure thing ...

Doepfer A-192-2 ... changes gate (and CV!) signals to MIDI.

LINK = http://analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a-192-2/

Possible option? :despair:

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rrooyyccee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks for the responses. It turns out that the Rimshot module wasn't powered: the power connector had come loose. I didn't realize this until I tested the audio output. It's interesting that the Nord was picking up anything at all.

With that back in order, all of the solutions work. The most direct appears to be going from audio (rim shot) to a pulse generator. This creates less latency.

A less direct path: audio in, comparator, pulse generator has a few milliseconds of latency but perhaps a bit less jitter.

I could not get the envelope generator to work for some reason.

Next I'll try sending the NM the gate signal directly...in this case it is coming from a Robocop sequencer.

This has been great: I'm sending pulses to a patch that plays chords from three different oscillators, each of which has its own note sequencer, transposer, and then quanizer. I'm at 99.7% processor but it sounds pretty good :) The Nord Modular is great in this context.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Sweet! If you get a chance, can you post a screenshot of the patch?

(I do this using the 'printscreen' function to grab the screen image, then 'paste' it into some kind of graphics program like 'MS Paint' and save the file as a .jpg).

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rrooyyccee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi,

Here is a screen shot of the patch. There are four oscillators driven by sync'd step sequencers. There is some randomness from LFOs modulating the pitch. Then the pitches are quantized.

The patch is driven by a Robokop eurorack sequencer, firing off a rimshot in an arbitrary pattern x---xx--x-----x-

Royce

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rrooyyccee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Also, for others out there:

I'm running Stage Engine on a mac mini with High Sierra. The midi interface is a Motu 8x8 usb midi-express. The Nord's PC connection is on one channel. On another channel is the Nord's midi connection. So one interface handles both the Nord's midi and editor channel.

It is rock solid. At first I tested with a RME Fireface 400 midi connection for the editor and it was not stable.

This is rock solid, and I'm thrilled about it.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Hey, looks pretty sweet!

If you get the urge to make the patch bigger, you could free up quite a lot of DSP % by swapping out those big "A" and "B" audio osc modules for four pairs of 'Master" Osc + Triangle SLAVE oscs. And do the same with all of the LFOs - use single-waveform slave LFOs (no master required) instead of the larger full-featured LFOs.

Unless you need to be able to select osc waveforms from a panel knob during performance, the single wave slave oscs are usually a better choice than the big oscs with all the options.

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rrooyyccee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you for the resource saving tips. I think I’ll try swapping these efficient modules in. This was my first patch, and I’ve read about the use of slave oscillators and LFOs but forgot!

I think also the use of gain control units for transposing pitches could use some refining. Also, today I read about the “cont” functions on quantizers that probably applies.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 pm

rrooyyccee wrote:Also, for others out there:

I'm running Stage Engine on a mac mini with High Sierra. The midi interface is a Motu 8x8 usb midi-express. The Nord's PC connection is on one channel. On another channel is the Nord's midi connection. So one interface handles both the Nord's midi and editor channel.

It is rock solid. At first I tested with a RME Fireface 400 midi connection for the editor and it was not stable.

This is rock solid, and I'm thrilled about it.
That is really interesting since the Nord Modular manual throws out these ~End Of Days~ warnings about how the "PC" and "MIDI" connections cannot be from the same MIDI port out of the computer. They must use totally separate MIDI ports (in other words, separate USB ports) else dogs will gather and roam in packs, the sky will fall, the seas shall boil, walls shall bleed, the Earth shall be covered in swarms of locusts, and frogs will rain from the skies. I never dared even try it.

:lol:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 am

rrooyyccee wrote:Thank you for the resource saving tips. I think I’ll try swapping these efficient modules in. This was my first patch....
THIS is your first NM patch??

Holy crap dude. You totally bought the right synth. :cloud:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 am

Dave Peck wrote:
rrooyyccee wrote:Thank you for the resource saving tips. I think I’ll try swapping these efficient modules in. This was my first patch....
THIS is your first NM patch??

Holy crap dude. You totally bought the right synth. :cloud:
One of those cases where person and machine simply click. :hihi:

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:That is really interesting since the Nord Modular manual throws out these ~End Of Days~ warnings about how the "PC" and "MIDI" connections cannot be from the same MIDI port out of the computer. They must use totally separate MIDI ports (in other words, separate USB ports) else dogs will gather and roam in packs, the sky will fall, the seas shall boil, walls shall bleed, the Earth shall be covered in swarms of locusts, and frogs will rain from the skies. I never dared even try it.
I've always run my MM using using two MIDI outs from the same interface and found it to be faultless - that's on windows flavours from XP right through to 10

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Muzone wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:That is really interesting since the Nord Modular manual throws out these ~End Of Days~ warnings about how the "PC" and "MIDI" connections cannot be from the same MIDI port out of the computer. They must use totally separate MIDI ports (in other words, separate USB ports) else dogs will gather and roam in packs, the sky will fall, the seas shall boil, walls shall bleed, the Earth shall be covered in swarms of locusts, and frogs will rain from the skies. I never dared even try it.
I've always run my MM using using two MIDI outs from the same interface and found it to be faultless - that's on windows flavours from XP right through to 10
Good to know! :tu: :hail:

milkshake
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by milkshake » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 am

rrooyyccee wrote:Hi,

It's a very simple 3 module patch:

Audio in module (insert euro clock here), into 3 input mixer (all knobs on max). Mixer output is clock source for your patch.
Set the constant module (first module in the Ctrl section) to - 64 and patch that into the other 2 mixer inputs. That's it.

Sample accurate timing! Try that with midi.
Shall I ... blablabla ... to thee.

The more you pay for something, the less likely you are to critise it.

ContraPoints

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”