Nord Modular thread

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Dave Peck wrote:Yup, if I'm picturing this right, these suggestion should be a way to get the NM to replicate that TZ behavior.
Sorry 'bout stating the obvious. I should have figured you had it all wrapped up correctly. :tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:51 am

Hey, not a problem. I still haven't tried any of these ideas so there's a good chance I'm missing something and they won't actually work as described to do what the Yamaha thing does. But the concepts may help.

rrooyyccee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rrooyyccee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi,
Okay, I'll try some of these ideas. Thanks to pointing me towards modules that are used to modify control signals: I missed all of those.

One thing that is clearer now than before: the keyboard CV signal doesn't show up as a patch chord anywhere: NM just keeps track of it and distributes it automatically to the oscillator. I didn't know that, and was wondering how I would add to or subtract from that value, and set up a conditional logic for 12 notes.

My goal is to create a house music chord generator, maybe 4- 5 notes, and send that "oscillator" sound out of the output and into a Eurorack filter and VCA.

After I finish with the oscillator, the next project will be activating the Eurorack stuff with a pulse from the NM.

Royce

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:18 pm

You can switch this 'invisible' bussing off at the VCO. Then use a keyboard (is that the one? ... under in/out) module to tap the CV and modify it.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Aye, that's it.

SoundPool
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SoundPool » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18 am

question for Nord users... does anyone know what the resolution of the encoders are on the micro or g1? Is it standard MIDI 0-127, or is it higher resolution than that?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:27 pm

SoundPool wrote:question for Nord users... does anyone know what the resolution of the encoders are on the micro or g1? Is it standard MIDI 0-127, or is it higher resolution than that?
They are not encoders, they are actual potentiometers. The resolution depends on what the software does with it, and it varies from one application to another. It could have 128 steps, or four steps, depending on whether it is routed to control a virtual knob in a module or a virtual four-way switch in a different module.

There must be some initial A/D resolution when the pot's output signal is first digitized, and it must be greater than the resolution of any given control in any module, but I don't know what that would be.

Unlike the original NM and Micro, the G2 uses encoders.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
SoundPool wrote:question for Nord users... does anyone know what the resolution of the encoders are on the micro or g1? Is it standard MIDI 0-127, or is it higher resolution than that?
They are not encoders, they are actual potentiometers. The resolution depends on what the software does with it, and it varies from one application to another. It could have 128 steps, or four steps, depending on whether it is routed to control a virtual knob in a module or a virtual four-way switch in a different module.

There must be some initial A/D resolution when the pot's output signal is first digitized, and it must be greater than the resolution of any given control in any module, but I don't know what that would be.

Unlike the original NM and Micro, the G2 uses encoders.
This is one of the positives that the Nord Modular has over the G2. I went 90% towards making the Joystick mod to my Nord Modular until I chickened out drilling the panel.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

MickSubmariner
1-Post Wiggler

1st post and it's a necro

Post by MickSubmariner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am

I thought I'd share my discovery, even though it's early days for me.
I have Nomad working with my G1 on OSX (High Sierra) here with this:

https://github.com/DerekCook/CoreMidi4J

(standalone version) installed at /Library/Java/Extensions.

Apologies if this is old hat, if it isn't, please post on the main section. Like I say, 1st post.

I'm hoping I can escape the Vmware + XP dependency thing, which admittedly has worked for me for some time, but, y'know... faff...

Btw, Hi...
Nick

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 1st post and it's a necro

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am

MickSubmariner wrote:I thought I'd share my discovery, even though it's early days for me.
I have Nomad working with my G1 on OSX (High Sierra) here with this:

https://github.com/DerekCook/CoreMidi4J

(standalone version) installed at /Library/Java/Extensions.

Apologies if this is old hat, if it isn't, please post on the main section. Like I say, 1st post.

I'm hoping I can escape the Vmware + XP dependency thing, which admittedly has worked for me for some time, but, y'know... faff...

Btw, Hi...
Nick
Member *MickSubmariner" ......

I don't know about how to answer your question(s) ... however this gives me the opportunity to lend you a hand so you may board the ship.

Welcome Home!!!!
:cookiemonster:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:38 am

Welcome, Nick.

Have a read further up this, rather long, thread - I'm using Wine to run the editor 'natively'. There is reference to a thread on Gearslutz describing patches to Wine. The good news is it now contains the required code out of the box to launch the Win.exe without VMWare etc.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:11 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:can someone tell me how i can determine whether my NM (g1) is expanded?
It will say Nord Modular v3.03 EXP on the screen during boot up.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:17 am

wavecircle wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:can someone tell me how i can determine whether my NM (g1) is expanded?
It will say Nord Modular v3.03 EXP on the screen during boot up.
lol. duh. thanks. haven't booted it up in awhile, and am selling it (keeping the g2 - no space for both). thanks.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 pm

If you want to double check to make sure the DSP expander is actually functioning correctly, just make a patch (or load an existing one) that uses well over 50% DSP (as shown in the little DSP meter at the top of the editor screen) and set the number of "requested voices" to eight. Make sure that only this one patch in this one slot is active.

If the 'available voices' display next to that shows eight, it has an expander and the expander is being recognized and is working. If it only says four voices available when you are requesting eight, it either has no expander card or the card is not being recognized and is not operating.

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

Hi there,
I'm about to get tomorrow the Nord Micro Modular.
my setup is:
macbook pro os x mojave;
motu UltraLite mk4;
Novation Launch Control XL midi controller;

I wanted to know if I can load patches from the Nord editor that is on my macbook to the MM via the moutu ultralite midi ports ?

Also can I assign my novation midi controller to knobs and faders inside the Nord patches ? is it same way as assigning knobs to a VST inside Ableton etc?

Thanks!

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 am

Can't believe I only discovered this thread now. Really great to see there's still a lot of love for Nord Modular's, also great to see a lot of familiar faces from the Electro-Music forum, Hi all!
Now excuse me... I've some reading to do 8-)

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:26 am

mother misty wrote:Can't believe I only discovered this thread now. Really great to see there's still a lot of love for Nord Modular's, also great to see a lot of familiar faces from the Electro-Music forum, Hi all!
Now excuse me... I've some reading to do 8-)
Hey, great to see you here, as well. Your G2 performance patches are legendary!

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Cebec! Thank you so much man for your kind words! :)

I have a question about the G2. I've a G2 keyboard, hardware revision v1.4. But it seems there's a v1.5 as well.
Anyone have an idea what the differences are between these, just curious :)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:08 pm

mother misty wrote:Hi Cebec! Thank you so much man for your kind words! :)

I have a question about the G2. I've a G2 keyboard, hardware revision v1.4. But it seems there's a v1.5 as well.
Anyone have an idea what the differences are between these, just curious :)
Actually it is up to 1.62 now - https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... te-history
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I believe he means the version printed below the screenprint panel graphics on the right side. IIRC it just refers to the version number of the panel graphics. Serial number might be the best way to track revisions.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah, that's correct, i ment the version that's printed on the panel graphics next to "modular synthesizer made in sweden by clavia"
They both seem indentical, besides 1.4 vs 1.5

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:19 pm

cebec wrote:I believe he means the version printed below the screenprint panel graphics on the right side. IIRC it just refers to the version number of the panel graphics. Serial number might be the best way to track revisions.
Yes, I get that now. Mine says 1.4 also. Serial #10696. Since they were first made in 1998, that serial number is not a date code at all.

The graphics shown in my user's manual, hardcopy v1.3x, PDF file v1.4x, both have 1.5 on the images of the panel graphics. I too wonder what changed. Some new part that forced a PCB rev I assume.
-James

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 am

[video][/video]

first patch trying some generative / probability based stuff with my G1

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:01 pm

:headbang:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”