Request: ARP 2600 Owner's Manual.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Request: ARP 2600 Owner's Manual.

Post by smetak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Greetings,

Being new to analogue synths, went hunting around for some info on the basics. Needless to say, stumbled upon the excellent thread:

viewtopic.php?t=44345

And picked up a copy of the ARP 2600 Owner's Manual and began to read through it - I am amazed on how well written and incredibly didactic it is! I have attempted to print the PDF file to make my own notes and underlines, but, unfortunately, the copy is quite small and very hard to read when printed.

Does anyone have another copy, a bigger, better scan of the manual? If so, I would be eternally greatful for an upload.

cheers, w.

Incidentally, I don't really know if this is the best place to post this request - if not, I hope that the moderator can pordon me.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:32 pm

is this better?
http://db.tt/UCDsWuJX

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 pm

By God Yes!!!!

Fantastic scan!!!

Thanks a million for this!

W.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

Interestingly Jim(?) rewrote the manual for the TimewARP 2600.

He commented something along the lines that he didn't have much time with the ARP when he wrote the manual the first time.

Pretty amazing!
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 am

The writing is amazing - the concepts are clear as crystal; it has helped tremendously with understanding the basics and being able to mess around with the system I'm currently building.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I have a copy of both the 2600 and 2500 manuals somewhere. The 2500 is a good read too.

-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 pm

I checked Google Street View to see the location of the old ARP factory according to the address in that 2600 manual (which, as others have pointed out, is a good read).

Interestingly, though an adjacent road is captured by the Google van, the one ARP was on is not.

I wonder why..... :tinfoil:

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Sweet, just re-grabbed the manual.
I might even print it out and go it page by page with my 2600.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:I have a copy of both the 2600 and 2500 manuals somewhere. The 2500 is a good read too.

-James
Possibility of uploading it?

jet
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Request: ARP 2600 Owner's Manual.

Post by jet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm

We're managing some reference ARP2600 docs on github. There's a full technical manual that was recently scanned by a nice person over on the facebook, I'm looking for other quality scans to post to the site.
industrial designer, interaction designer, cello student, hacker

dml
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dml » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Add Sam Ecoff's "Fundamentals of Music Technology" to your collection. It's a very thorough look at the Arp 2600.
https://samecoff.com/pdfs/ARP%202600%20book.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,

dml

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm

jet wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:38 pm
We're managing some reference ARP2600 docs on github. There's a full technical manual that was recently scanned by a nice person over on the facebook, I'm looking for other quality scans to post to the site.
You might rather look to correct the errors of fact and errors of omission on your documents.

Some things, like the voltage processor section of readme.md where it states that "the section processes four control inputs" when there are very clearly at least EIGHT inputs -with panel printed numbering no less!- and these are not limited to only "control" but also audio.. Such may well be simply the work of someone not well versed in synths in general or this one in particular. The fact that this section contains two general purpose mixers is not even stated!

But then one reads at the end of the document that it is better to replace all transistors than to do a proper testing. WTF?! This is simply ludricrous and unconscionable for a vintage synth of this stature. If the reply sounds mad, it is. It is anger inducing to read such uninformed and misguided items at a site which is presented as a general resource. Since anger is actually fear, the fear is that others will take this bad advice and then professional techs are left to pick up the pieces, hopefully only only broken and not as is too often the case, destroyed. We all lose.

Beware following internet synth repair advice without first seeking to understand and verify the source. Quite often there will be more than one opinion, and potentially more than one reasonable solution. That's the nature of the world. Please, Please, Please make an effort to seek and discern the relative merits of disparate or competing suggestions, methods and choices.
Last edited by KSS on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by KSS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 pm
I checked Google Street View to see the location of the old ARP factory according to the address in that 2600 manual (which, as others have pointed out, is a good read).
Interestingly, though an adjacent road is captured by the Google van, the one ARP was on is not.
I wonder why..... :tinfoil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by KSS » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 pm

smetak wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:I have a copy of both the 2600 and 2500 manuals somewhere. The 2500 is a good read too.
-James
Possibility of uploading it?
No need to do that. It can be found at the internetarchive.org synthesizer manual section. Along with many other useful and interesting examples of important synth resources. File names are arp2500c1.pdf , arp2500c2.pdf , arp2500c3.pdf . Though the internet archive AKA wayback machine, als ohas other filetypes available for many of its synth resources.

edit: the three PDFs are also available on guitarfool's site. /edit
Last edited by KSS on Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:27 pm

As was likely mentioned in other threads Sam Ecoff has a 2600 tutorial available that is really sweet:

https://samecoff.com/pdfs/ARP%202600%20book.pdf

edit - oops - thanks KSS... missed that.
Last edited by MindMachine on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:27 am

MindMachine wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:27 pm
As was likely mentioned in other threads
identical link in the 4th post above yours, actually.

jet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:03 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:35 pm

You might rather look to correct the errors of fact and errors of omission on your documents.
[...]
But then one reads at the end of the document that it is better to replace all transistors than to do a proper testing. WTF?! This is simply ludricrous and unconscionable for a vintage synth of this stature.
There's probably more than one error in Luke's readme and I'm happy to make corrections. I haven't done a full review of the readme, I'm being paid to make the synth work. I appreciate any corrections/help reviewing his document.

That being said, I have been working with ARP 2600 owners and people who do restoration/repair of vintage synths since the beginning of this rebuild. They all know a lot more than I do and they have helped me diagnose some really wonky problems. More than one said to replace all the transistors while I'm working on a component given the failure rate of some transistors. Some of the transistors have been out of production for years, if not decades, so replacing them requires switching to contemporary transistors. ARP also changed which components it used during production and people who maintained this machine over the years have also changed/modified some components. There are at least three types/brands of wires, including patch wires, all have been added by people since 1971. The power cable is not original, it's through a new hole in the back of the case. None of the work is documented. I don't even know if these are the boards it had when it came from the factory in 1971. Even the cases are missing, why would someone dispose of those?

This not a piece for a museum this is an instrument that students should be able to use to create music. "Restoring" it to how it came from the factory is effectively impossible. Universities have limited budgets and it is more practical for me to replace all the transistors in the keyboard while I have it open instead of coming back and replacing them one-by-one when they fail and interrupt a student's work.

jet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 pm

dml wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm
Add Sam Ecoff's "Fundamentals of Music Technology" to your collection. It's a very thorough look at the Arp 2600.
I have a copy of it, it's a great book, but I can't republish things with an active copyright. Maybe I'll add a bibliography with links to other sites.

jdkJake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdkJake » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:07 am

jet wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 pm
dml wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm
I have a copy of it, it's a great book, but I can't republish things with an active copyright. Maybe I'll add a bibliography with links to other sites.
You can get a pdf copy of the book free directly from his webs site.

https://samecoff.com/works/

thispoison
Ultra Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 am

jdkJake wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:07 am
You can get a pdf copy of the book free directly from his webs site.

https://samecoff.com/works/
That's brilliant, and sound files too! Many thanks for the link (and previous posters also). :guinness:
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”