Synapse "The Electronic Music Magazine" archive

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kingmaxwell
Common Wiggler

Post by kingmaxwell » Wed May 03, 2017 7:39 pm

It's a wrap. I'm deep into the Kraftwork late seventies issue. Reading every page. Whoa. Ridiculous to read Tom Oberheim talk about synth voices in 1978. This is awesome.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed May 03, 2017 8:46 pm

jdkee wrote:Anyone manage to scan the first two issues? It would be great to read those.
I have issue #1 on loan to me. I'll try to scan it in the next weeks.

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muzines » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 pm

diophantine wrote:I have issue #1 on loan to me. I'll try to scan it in the next weeks.
Did you manage to scan it? This *needs* to be online...!
www.muzines.co.uk
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:22 am

is there supposed to be a link on this page, to read/download issues?

http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/intro.cfm

if so, I do not see it

TomTones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TomTones » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 am

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 pm

yeah!

thx Tom!

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Missing two issues

Post by muzines » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 pm

If anyone has issues #1 and #2, and is willing to scan them, or lend them to me for scanning, that would be very cool and a certain unique and very cool web archive would work to make them available in an accessible form in the future... :tu:
www.muzines.co.uk
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more.

GhostofAlgernon
Common Wiggler

Re: Missing two issues

Post by GhostofAlgernon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:51 pm

It looks like I have .gif scans of:

Volume 2, Number 5 - March, 1978
Volume 3, Number 2 - summer 1979

Happy to send these to whomever if they're needed to complete an archive.

I actually think I have the entire archive of all of them somewhere on a disc, but it's not popped up yet. If I find it, I'll make the entire thing available to whomever wants it.
---------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 pm

muzines wrote:If anyone has issues #1 and #2, and is willing to scan them, or lend them to me for scanning, that would be very cool and a certain unique and very cool web archive would work to make them available in an accessible form in the future... :tu:
We talked about it before, I scanned it, and totally forgot! Here's the 2nd issue:
http://www.diophantine.net/synapse/Syna ... 1_No_2.pdf
(The last 8 pages are scans of a Bryce Robbley score printed on two folded large sheets and which were included with the magazine. Awkward to scan...)

EDIT: and yeah, it turned out to be #2, not #1... when loaned to me the owner thought it was #1, and it doesn't say so on the cover.

GhostofAlgernon
Common Wiggler

Post by GhostofAlgernon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm

I have found one disc with scans of the following:

1976 Sept-Oct Vol 1#3
1976 Nov-Dec Vol 1#4
1977 Jan-Feb Vol 1#5
1977 Nov-Dec Vol 2 #3
1978 Jan-Feb Vol2 #4
1978 Mar-Apr Vol2 #5
1979 Jan-Feb Vol3 #1
1979 - Summer Vol3 #2

Includes front/back cover scans, plus each archive has .gif scans, plus largish .pct scans for each.

If anybody want these, message me and I'll send you a link to a Google Drive zip file...
---------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muzines » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:48 am

diophantine wrote:Here's the 2nd issue:.
Awesome - thank you!

We just need to turn up #1 now... :tu:
www.muzines.co.uk

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for uploading these. :guinness:

raccoonboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by raccoonboy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:40 pm

thanks to the uploaders. will keep an eye out for issue 1.

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muzines » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:02 am

To update this thread - I've still not been able to get a response from Cynthia Webster or Doug Lynner yet, but in the meantime I've added a Synapse entry to document what we have and to try to source the outstanding issue #1.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sy/all

If we get the go ahead from someone from the original team one day, then I'll update the status and make them available, in both PDF form, and added to the publishing rotation as per the other mags.

In other news - we now have a *complete* PDF archive of Polyphony available to enjoy... :tu:
www.muzines.co.uk

Satellite Icarus
Learning to Wiggle

synapse v1n1

Post by Satellite Icarus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 pm

hi y'all,

did some sleuthing to find synapse v1n1 and it looks like the David Tudor archive at the Getty has it. A researcher in LA with a good reason to see it should be able to get access.

https://primo.getty.edu/permalink/f/19q ... 5190001551

All the best,

Ezra

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:27 pm

That Kraftwerk interview reminded me of Mike Myers' Dieter character.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Re: synapse v1n1

Post by muzines » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Satellite Icarus wrote:A researcher in LA with a good reason to see it should be able to get access.
Well, I am none of those things but hopefully someone will have a copy they can scan and make available at some point...
www.muzines.co.uk

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks so much for uploading and starting this thread. :love:

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Synapse "The Electronic Music Magazine" archive

Post by muzines » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Update - Doug Lynner is now getting together a Synapse archive on his site, https://www.neatnetnoise.com/synapse.

He plans to include all published issues, including issues #1 and #2 not previously shared online, and once he's got this together, he's said he's interested in working with mu:zines to widen it's reach - so hopefully that means we'll get permissions to archive them, and OCR/tag etc in the usual way, and expose the content to search engines etc.

In any case, whatever happens, it seems Synapse will have an official and compete archive this year, which is of course great news.
Last edited by muzines on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.muzines.co.uk

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm

muzines wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:38 pm
In any case, whatever happens, it seems Synapse will have an official and compete archive this year, which is of course great news.
Great news indeed. Really just posting to say how much I appreciate what you've done with Muzines! Amazing content and the extra work done indexing to make it the absolutely fabulous resource it is. THANK YOU

Have always wondered if user "magman" and you are the same person? If not, he seems to share your affinity for magazine preservation.

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muzines » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm

KSS wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm
Really just posting to say how much I appreciate what you've done with Muzines! Amazing content and the extra work done indexing to make it the absolutely fabulous resource it is. THANK YOU
Thanks - that's very nice of you! I'm glad people are finding it valuable, otherwise it's a lot of work for nothing... :)
KSS wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm
Have always wondered if user "magman" and you are the same person? If not, he seems to share your affinity for magazine preservation.
Heh - No, not the same person: magman is Mike and he's been helping me build mu:zines by providing and scanning *many* issues from his extensive personal collection - he's scanned over 300 issues for the site now, and the work is ongoing - and he was also responsible for getting Polyphony added to the site.

He's also been ripping, indexing and uploading the collection of Mix cover CDs to the Internet Archive as we move to get The Mix online too.

We do share some values regarding the mag stuff though, the main difference being that he is collecting and maintaining a physical collection, and I'm working hard to get them done digitally so I *don't* have to maintain any physical copies.

But he's been a legend for sure and the site would not have grown as fast as it has content-wise without his significant ongoing efforts and resources, and for me personally, it's great to have someone else willing to add value over what I can do on my own.
www.muzines.co.uk

KSS
Ultra Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm

muzines wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm
Heh - No, not the same person: magman is Mike and he's been helping me build mu:zines by <snip>
Great reply! Really glad to hear you're working together. As someone who's had to use international interlibrary loan in the past -pre-internet- to obtain some things buried in these old mags, it's comforting to hear, and the results are speaking for themselves!

magman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by magman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Thought I would come in and wave, seeing as muzines is singing my praises.

Yep, I am that mad magazine collector, also a manic synth builder and synth meet table horder.

I plan on building something like muzines, but hopefully getting permission for old electro-music projects from electronics magazines (which I have a significant collection of).

Regards

Mike
Next Liverpool Synth Meet - it’s 11th April 2020

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Something that I couldn't find on the site was a page just listing all the missing issues of all the magazines. That would be helpful for people who would like to contribute.

muzines
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muzines » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:40 am

nigel wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 pm
Something that I couldn't find on the site was a page just listing all the missing issues of all the magazines. That would be helpful for people who would like to contribute.
There are a few ways of viewing issues needed. Each mag index page has a number of filters, so you can show "All" published issues, issues that are fully OCR processed ("Active"), and "Owned", "Scanned" and "Needed".

The numbers show how many issues match that status, and you can simply click on them (eg click on "Needed") to show the issues of that status.

Active (by default): eg http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/mm

mz1.jpg

Clicking on "Needed": eg http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/mm/needed

mz2.jpg

Additionally, on the main Magazines index page, you can use the flipmenu to choose to display "Issues Needed" to get an overview of how many issues are needed for each publication (and clicking on the mag will go directly to the Needed filter of that mag).

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags
http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/needed

mz3.jpg

Lastly, these filter numbers are also broken out on the home page, and again, clicking on the orange "Needed" number will link directly to the Needed filter of that mag, and if the number is just 0 you can see at a glance we don't need any issues of that publication.

mz4.jpg

There isn't one single page that lists everything needed because people would have to wade through many hundreds of issues (although now the number of outstanding issues is a more manageable number it's perhaps more feasible). The way I chose to implement this is along the lines "Oh, I have some International Musician issues, lets see if mu:zines needs any of these", but if you just want an overview of all the issues we need to see if you might have something to contribute, then the Magazines Needed page is the quickest way: http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/needed

Hope that helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.muzines.co.uk

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”